Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to go to USA (Colorado) - New Year or Easter

Poster: A snowHead
In terms of typical snow conditions and weather, what would be the best time of year to visit Colorado, probably Breckenridge. Having never been to USA before this is unknown for me.

Q. Will end Dec/early Jan just be too cold and short days? (family trip with 2 kids to factor in)
Q. Will end March/early April be a bit warm and slushy? After all one reason for venturing over there is to sample the fluffy powder and open bowls and beautifully groomed pistes.

Planning a long time in advance (season 12/13) and the first decision I need to make is "when" - then comes "where" and "for how long".

Any help/advice from those with experience of skiing those parts would be most welcome.

thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have done Vail/Beaver in both December and Late March. Both are cracking times to go but do differ obviously in terms of the weather and conditions. December was cold and mostly snowy and March was glorious sunshine and warmer (I know I know I'm stating the bleeding obvious). The thing is it all depends on the weather and that can't be completely guaranteed anywhere, anytime.

For me if you're taking the kids both have upsides and downsides.

December/Jan upsides - Excellent snow pretty much guaranteed
December/Jan downsides - colder (sometimes very) and much more chance of heavy snow days which can put some (not me) off.

March upsides - Usually bright and warmish sunny days.
March downsides - Both times we went in March the runs into Vail town were getting a bit soft, but certainly skiable. Higher up the mountain the snow was great, but with less fresh snow the bowls weren't pristine, but again still skiable and good fun.

December/early Jan certainly has more opportunity for the 'champagne powder' days, but March has more opportunity for the Champagne outside in the bar.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that, ansta1,

Both options appeal, for the reasons you outline. The Easter trip would be last week March plus 1st week April so the soft snow could be softer by then. As you say nothing can be guaranteed.

So we are in a bit of a quandary - cold(er) short days with better snow, or longer warm(er) days with blue sky but potential soft/slush on lower slopes.

Will not be repeating this trip in a hurry so want to get it as right as possible, first and (possibly) only time.

Suppose if we go Dec/Jan there's always the possibilty of squeezing a cheekly little Euro trip in when Easter does come around Toofy Grin (sssh, don't tell the missus).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bear in mind Breckenridge at New Year has big crowds (usually their peak skier numbers) whereas at Easter most but diehards will be thinking of golf/bikes/beach. With kids I'd go at Easter as at 10,000 ft it can be blimmin cold in December(although the air is dry so not directly comparable to Euro cold).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Easter.

ok, I read the post a bit more carefully. If you're going AFTER New Year, instead of Christmas-NY. It'll be fine too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Dec / Jan option would be a midweek departure on or aground boxing day, for 10 to 14 nights.

Easter option would be 10 to 14 nights from the last week of March and the first week of April
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The week between Christmas and New Year will be combat skiing, armors (and helmet) required.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've skied Aspen/Snowmass in 1st/2nd week of April - bright sunshine all day, every day, so some slush low down (but much less slush than you would generally get in Europe at that time of year because of the altitude), dead slopes, fabulous snow on 80% of the area and snowed from 6pm to 8am for SIX consecutive days. Awesome.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As a child I used to spend most NY's in Crested Butte Coloardo and it is a magical time of year for children to be there...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want to avoid huge crowd, early November or late April will do. The good thing about Breckenridge is they have a ski side condo and town houses for easy access to slopes. The Victorian town of Breckenridge offers the best alternative after a hard-hitting day on the slopes, shopping centers are everywhere in this town.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So, late March/early April - expect quieter slopes, softer snow but not an absolute slush fest on the lower slopes, higher slopes excellent. Some late snowfall is not unusual and lots of sunshine and warmer temps.

Sounds like a winner. Thanks for your contributions. Now I can pore over the options for 'where' to go. Certainly fancy Breckenridge, but may do a twin centre (take advantage of the Epicski pass) and do a week in Breck and a week elsewhere, Vail or Beaver Creek). Any advice on this, or would we regret leaving Breck after only a week there and finding our feet? As I said before this is a trip not to be repeated in a hurry so would like to get the most out of it.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 6-10-11 12:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smithski, +1 for Breck in March. Have done both and Dec was perishing. You can base yourself in Breck and get to the other resorts easily either in your own renter or on local busses (9 years since I have been though so that would need checking). In your original question as to how long - a minimum of 10 days to get over the jet lag, also to get used to the altitude. Breck is at 10000 ft before you get on a lift - so mild symptons of altitude sickness are not uncommon on the first night - mild headache, hard work walking down the st (but bussess are provide of course! Also - beware the Breckenridge Brewery - its not called Avalanche Ale for nothing!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway, thanks. Come across this http://www.freshtrackstransportation.com/index.html - not cheap for a day trip but could be worth considering for a trasnfer from one resort to another as part of a twin centre trip, btw, totally would prefer to DIY, not a package.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From Breck, you can go to Keystone and A-basin by the county shuttle, either free or cost very little. No need to shell out any substantial funds.

Breck may be nice but not worth a full week. I'd say a week BASED in Breck but ski all 3 above would be more like it.

To best sample Vail and Beaver Creek, you really would do best by staying on that side of the pass. Avon is the cheaper option compare to Vail slope side. There's shuttle to go from Avon to both Vail and Beaver Creek.

Vail alone could make most skiers happy for 3-4 days. BC another 2-3.

You're running out of vacation time, I know. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One of the nicknames for Breckenridge is Breckenfridge. Never any guarantees with respect to weather but in general snow should be fine. Breck is very high. The base elevation is 2900+ meters and snow is generally well preserved. If you have a car, Copper mountain is around 15 miles, about the same elevation, and has a lot of North facing slopes. And Araphoe basin (even higher base) is also an easy drive from Breck; it's generally well known for late season skiing. So you should be fine in late March. That said, it can get warm and slushy. Resorts are generally busy between Christmas and New Years and then pretty slow after the New Years Holiday. It will likely be colder and the days will be shorter but the skiing should be good. If you're going in December/January you might take a look at Steamboat. It's in a snow pocket, generally gets good early season snow, and the base elevation is around 2300 meters.
snow conditions
I agree with the choice to come in spring. Dec 26-Dec 31 is very crowded and it can be cold, but the powder will be lighter. Conditions can change faster in the spring, but I have done some of my best skiing in March and April, including some great powder days with hardly anyone on the mountain. Last year the whole season was awesome starting in November, but the year before the best conditions were had from mid Feb on with a 3 foot dump in early April (while I was away a practice round for the Masters at Augusta National).

I would say you have 3 choices about how to break up the trip:
1. 2 Weeks at a single resort- They are all good. Copper is the most central, but is not on the Epic Pass
2. 1 Week at two different resorts- one in Summit (Breckenridge, Copper, Keystone, A-Basin and Loveland) and one in Eagle (Vail and Beaver Creek)
3. 2 Weeks at my place in Frisco as we are spending the year in France- very central to all the local resorts, walking distance to Main St with space and luxury at a value price http://www.skilodgingrental.com/Frisco_Properties.php PM for a discount or restaurant recommendations.

From Chalet Frisco, you can be at Breck, Copper, Keystone, A-Basin and Loveland in 10 to 20 minutes, Vail in 30 and Beaver Creek in 45. Why not do what I do and look at the morning snow report and decide where to ski that day. I got in 90 days last year with no more than 20 at a single resort.

NOW IS THE BEST TIME TO PICK UP A SEASON PASS OR A TRANSFERABLE LOVELAND 4 Pack

Here is some Summit County and Lift ticket information http://www.skilodgingrental.com/Summit_County_Info.php with a map that shows where all the ski areas are.

For a 2 week once in a decade trip, I'd probably get the Epic pass although Copper is very good and Loveland very underrated.
ski holidays
Thanks again for the feedback and info - have definitely decided on the March/April option and have plenty of time to weigh the pros and cons of staying slopeside or staying more centrally such as MEfree30 suggests. Both have obvious attractions, but I'm thinking I would leave a lot happier having sampled several resorts (bloody good ones at that) rather than travelling a long way and being confined to a single area (no matter how good that area may be).
ski holidays
I'd go at Easter. We went to Winter Park at Christmas/New Year in 2009 and it was great, but bloody cold! We had a great time and the snow was fab. We went at Easter 2010 and it was awesome. We had fantastic snow, but some really great bluebird days. It was also slightly milder. There were days in 2009 when it was really too cold to ski.
snow conditions
Quote:

a minimum of 10 days to get over the jet lag

We are usually stuck with a week at Feb half term and so have done about a dozen transatlantic trips then for 7 nights.

We never suffer jetlag on the way out as the time difference and the (usual) late arrival in resort (while knackered after 20 -24 hours of travelling from home) has meant that we usually go for a late meal on arrival (say 9 or 10 pm US/Canada time but 4 or 5 am body time) and then crash out, sleep through until breakfast and then get up raring to go.

Bob's then your transatlantic uncle! Very Happy
latest report
Definitely use A-basin if the snow is a little soft in Breck - some of our greatest days skiing colorado have been there.
latest report
ksb76 wrote:
Definitely use A-basin if the snow is a little soft in Breck - some of our greatest days skiing colorado have been there.

Last day to get their 4 pack http://www.arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/tickets/season-passes.aspx but sometimes they have deals in the spring also
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy