Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 month to improve - which ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
The wife has given me one month on my own to improve my ski technique. Currently an intermediate. Can get down any piste but terrible at bumps and off piste. Keen to concentrate on the off piste. What's the best way to do this and which is the best resort to do this in. Don't mind where I go. US, Canada or Alps. I assume US and Canada would be easier as I understand all in bounds is avalanche controlled. Is there anywhere in Alps that is avalanche controlled?

Keen on resort suggestions and any instructor recommendations.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lowcroft, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Les Deux Alpes, and Charlotte Swift. http://www.easiski.com/

Charlotte could help you find some suitable accommodation too. I'm just one of many very satisfied customers. Charlotte can take you to La Grave, some of the best off piste around...

PS Your wife sounds most accommodating!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val d'Isere/Tignes "Snoworks" Phil Smith now booking courses.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
St Anton in one month improved my skiing by way way way waaaaaaaaaaayy more than I expected possible. I had tuition in there, but even so the bumped up nature of moste pistes means you have to learn. On top of that loads of avi protected offpiste routes, then immeasurable amounts of epic (as in REALLY EPIC) true offpiste (some of the best in the world, not just Europe). And a damn good party!! I would be insanely happy if I had to spend the rest of my life purely skiing St Anton and the Arlberg, nothing else.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The last two posts are rather cheering - I'm doing a Snoworks back country course in St Anton in January. Not a month, but I hope I'll learn a bit in a week.
Welcome to snowHeads, Lowcroft. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica, on my gap year I did a ski instructing gap course in St Anton - and I improved soooooo much more than I expected in the timeframe. Even more so the rest of that season I spent there, learning more about the place. It's where I hope to end up living. You will have a great time!!

Btw, when are you there? Just found out that my (and my gf's) cheapo Tirol season pass includes 3 days in St Anton each, and I'm keen to make the most of them as she's never skied there before!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, I have stayed once in St Anton and once in Lech, but yonks ago in each case. Really looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with this wonderful region: I remember loving it, even though I don't recall too much of the detail now. I'll be there the week of 8 Jan. Be lovely to grab a drink if you're there at the same time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

even though I don't recall too much of the detail now

Yeah I bet wink

Do you mean starting the 8th? If I'm about that week will depend on snow in the Arlberg (I want to save showing Trixi around for good days) and when I have Uni exams - but otherwise a beer or two would be great!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Les Deux Alpes, and Charlotte Swift. http://www.easiski.com/

There is nothing more to say,, Charlotte is great,,
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lowcroft wrote:
The wife has given me one month on my own to improve my ski technique.

So jealous... Cool Cool Cool Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think I might move in on your wife while your away, lucky sod.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999,
Quote:

Do you mean starting the 8th?
Yes. And I do remember some of the watering holes, oddly enough. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for St Anton. That's where I first learned to ski powder, bumps, slush, steeps. Good off piste technique is learned as much on piste as off piste. You really need to get instruction and guiding, especially if going off piste. Another option is to lookup a company like http://www.nonstopsnow.com/ check out their ski camps. I used them for a ski instructor course in Fernie, BC some years back, a great experience.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And another one. Can't wait to hit the off-piste around the Arlberg this season!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You lucky person! I'm dead jealous.

By avi protected off-piste at St Anton I assume clarky999 meant the itineraries (which used to be black pistes) which do get skied out fairly quickly (none of the rest is, and there is a huge amount - much a very long way from any piste).

You really want somewhere which has guided off-piste ski groups you can join at your own standard. One to one guiding and instruction is very expensive. I don't know about the official ski school off-piste instruction at St Anton but Piste to Powder are good. They are a bit expensive - though that may just be the St Anton norm.

Val d'Isere has lots of companies doing off piste guiding and instruction (I'd suggest Alpine Experience - or TopSki for guiding when you are more of an expert). Again there are huge areas of off-piste and because it is not avi protected you can usually ski fresh tracks long after any new snow..

The USA and Canada does have the advantage that you can ski the whole inbound area without a guide with fair safety but the amount of off-piste area is relatively much smaller and can get skied out really quickly. Of course, if you are lucky and get lots of new snow this may not matter.
snow conditions
Expensive option - Sign up for a month long development course

DIY possibly cheaper option - Find a US/Canadian resort with a cheap season pass & push yourself. Note you can sometimes score unlimited group lesson passes e.g. Northstar used to do free midweek afternoon lessons, Whistler used to sell a lessons season pass upgrade.
ski holidays
Epic Pass
http://www.snow.com/epic-pass.aspx
ski holidays
When I skied Jackson Hole (USA) there was no real off piste snow inbounds, even though it had snowed recently. it was all wind affected crust or skied out, like an ungroomed piste. Out of bounds, however, there was lovely powder and almost no tracks at all. Until I went to the Us and Canada I didn't understand the saying about "There are no friends on a powder day". You have to get out there in the first couple of hours in North America, or it's gone.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
You lucky person! I'm dead jealous.

By avi protected off-piste at St Anton I assume clarky999 meant the itineraries (which used to be black pistes) which do get skied out fairly quickly (none of the rest is, and there is a huge amount - much a very long way from any piste).

You really want somewhere which has guided off-piste ski groups you can join at your own standard. One to one guiding and instruction is very expensive. I don't know about the official ski school off-piste instruction at St Anton but Piste to Powder are good. They are a bit expensive - though that may just be the St Anton norm.

Re: Jealous - me too!

Re: Piste2Powder, heck yes! And bear in mind that the guides are not just full mountain guides but are also instructors so you will get tuition too. I don't get a month to myself, but on the odd occasion when I have time to go skiing but wife / friends are not interested then I would head to St Anton and book in with these guys, no question. The normal program is Mon - Fri, so you do get the weekends off to recover:-)
ski holidays
Lowcroft, you are aware that you start with a one month trip and then you'll want a longer trip or a whole season and then before you know it you'll be living in the alps, I speak from some experience. enjoy the journey.
latest report
waynos wrote:
Lowcroft, you are aware that you start with a one month trip and then you'll want a longer trip or a whole season and then before you know it you'll be living in the alps, I speak from some experience. enjoy the journey.

Happy Even if you stay for a month the epic storm will still roll in just as you leave and you'll miss the biggest day of the season... I once spent 3 months in Chamonix and although I had good skiing the deepest snow arrived the week after I left. Relocation is the only answer.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Until I went to the Us and Canada I didn't understand the saying about "There are no friends on a powder day". You have to get out there in the first couple of hours in North America, or it's gone.

That very much depends on when/where you go and how well you know the area snowHead
snow report
stuarth wrote:
snowball wrote:
Until I went to the Us and Canada I didn't understand the saying about "There are no friends on a powder day". You have to get out there in the first couple of hours in North America, or it's gone.

That very much depends on when/where you go and how well you know the area snowHead

Yep - JH is, I think, pretty much like Grand Montets in that there is a large population of dedicated locals who will happilly spend 2 hours destroying everything in sight before going to work on a powder day. Go to a non-headline resort mid week and it can be very different particularly if you're good at navigating trees.

But it's academic to the OP I think, any off piste experience will be grounds for development, it doesn't have to be perfect powder and N American resorts IMO provide the ideal environment for developing technical skills without worrying about environmental hazards.
snow report
Nothing to add except you lucky, lucky, lucky man!

I'd like to do this, I think I'd not want to leave though and therefore become a ski bum............
snow conditions
in the time i've known my wife, I've been allowed 2 afternoons off to improve my technique!
latest report
To be honest my non skiing wife does allow me 3 weeks per year, but I'm assuming the OP then gets to ski with his wife after the month.

fatbob Yes, I agree with the Grand Montets comparison. Its why I have almost stopped going to Chamonix.
snow report
Lowcroft, you don't mention budget, but if it's a bit tight, it might be worth looking at the courses/holidays run by UCPA, the French youth sports organisation. They have centres throughout the French Alps including some (e.g. Argentiere) from which they do a lot of off piste courses, at all kinds of levels - there are some reports on SHs somewhere by people who have done them, and they've been impressed.

their formula is "all in" - accommodation, tuition, equipment etc etc separate double rooms are only available in some centres (others are dorm style).

In UK you can book them through Action Outdoors. UCPA centres would provide a good social base - always someone to have a beer with and a cosmopolitan atmosphere. It's not essential to speak French, though it helps to speak a little.
ski holidays
I would say go and do the week long Warren Smith course in Verbier and stay on for another two weeks after to hone what you have learnt. They are good for learning off piste and will push you forward.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
When I skied Jackson Hole (USA) there was no real off piste snow inbounds, even though it had snowed recently. it was all wind affected crust or skied out, like an ungroomed piste. .

I think you meant to say there's no POWDER inbounds.

"Real off piste" includes wind crust, breakable crust, etc.

And the OP specifically mention he wants to work on bumps, aka skied out off piste.
snow conditions
If Whistler appeals then check out Core Camps. Get in touch with Turner, super guy, he'll hook you up.
ski holidays
A month at Glencoe would sort you out. Do you speak Scottish ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
A left field suggestion, stay with Club Med and ski in their grade 3A first week then move to grade 4 for the next 3. I assure you the skiers you meet in both groups will be above your ability and will push you to achieve. Grade 3A is at least BASI 2 standard, Grade 4 is all off-piste with good tips on technique, Grade 4 fast is at least BASI 3 standard, and the for your money you get an included lift pass and an instructor all day. The stay will give you a nice hotel base, enough to eat for a month, a floor show and free bar; if you wait till last minute one can get a week single for about £1000, £200 less if you find somone to go with you. I have skied in the 4 group often and it helps if you can speak French as not many Brits join it. For value for money say in the Val d'Isere Club Med for an off-piste teaching week/holiday that is almost impossible to beat
snow report
Club Med is a good suggestion but a lot more expensive than UCPA. Depends on your budget. If you play it right, you could improve your French a lot, too!
ski holidays
Quote:

1 month to improve - which ski resort

When I read that thread title I thought of Radstadt/Altenmarkt..... only 'cos they have about 1 month to finish the new 10 man gondola!.... good luck!!
snow report
Fatbob has it nailed...Europe has some great oft piste, but to learn, West NA is better so as not to have to worry too much about Av risk assessment. Keystone is definitely offering unlimited Adult lessons Thursday through Sunday for $249, but you have to buy soon along with a Summit Value or Epic Local pass. Breckenridge has done a similar deal in the past also. See my post at http://www.epicski.com/t/105798/season-lesson-pass-and-discounted-lessons-for-family
snow conditions
Keep a close eye on season pass prices, you can still grab some amazing earlybird bargains. Quite a few people have mentioned West Coast US, there's been mention of the Vail Resorts Epic Pass too. Around Tahoe worth checking out what's on offer at Squaw/Alpine since the merger was announced at the turn of the month. If your heading to that area for a month you could prob justify more than one season pass, you can grab an adult mid-week (M-F) 5wood season pass for Kirkwood, CA at just $199 atm, that's less than 3 days breakeven at the full rack rate for a day ticket!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 14-10-11 1:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Tahoe Super Pass is Squaw/Alpine - the Silver level is $599 and has 9 blackout days - between Xmas and New Years, 2 days in Jan and 2 days in Feb. There are cheaper passes with more blackout days. Squaw's mid-week pass for is @ $389 or similar. www.squaw.com

Squaw also has a really good ski school, and plenty of locals to take you places where ski patrol might have to rescue you! Alpine has gates into the back country, and we don't know yet what's going to be open to link the two.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy