Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski and none ski holiday where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
At Christmas I'm thinking of going skiing with my girlfriend (we both ski) and my parents (who have never skiied and won't learn) where should we go? Skiing needs to be good, but with loads of places for the old folks to do, days out, places to visit.
What could the old people do? They are both very active.
Thoughts??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is just my opinion but why go to a ski resort if you're not going to ski or board? No chance of twisting their arms? How about having a taster on an indoor slope? I only say this as you say they're active. If not I'd look at somewhere that is or has the option of using a proper town as a base. I've missed a day or two through injury over the years and ski resorts for a week at least I can see as being boring places unless you're doing at least some sking. Would they like cross country skiing? Many resorts have snow-shoeing, and trails to walk.

You've no doubt already tried but try to get them to have a go!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to Innsbruck. LOADS for them to do and see, loads of (good) skiing all around (what sort of skiing are you looking for btw) on the same lift pass, easy public transport to the local ski areas, 10 minute transfer from the airport, good nightlife, probably cheaper than staying in resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
k1orange, if money is no object, and the state of the Swiss franc is of no concern, I recommend Wengen.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Go to Innsbruck

+1

and try this hotel http://www.austria-trend.at/Hotel-Congress-Innsbruck/en/ - it's slap bang next to the lift up to the Nordpark.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kitzbuhel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
k1orange wrote:
At Christmas I'm thinking of going skiing with my girlfriend (we both ski) and my parents (who have never skiied and won't learn) where should we go? Skiing needs to be good, but with loads of places for the old folks to do, days out, places to visit.
Thoughts??

This one might be a bit different but worth mentioning I thought

http://www.activitybreaks.com/product/21561/salzburg-ski-holidays-with-ski-snow-shuttle-to-flachau-ski-amade/

You all can stay in Salzburg, then you and your girlfriend can head off on the free ski bus to a different ski resort each day, whilst your parents can keep themselves entertained in Salzburg.

Plus its really cheap too, starting from £89 for a 3 -7 night break.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whistler - done !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Answer carefully but how old are the "old people"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks for comments so far and please keep them coming.

Bank of Mum and Dad have been invited along with their credit card so will not rule out switzerland. I need to get by inheritance before they waste it on themsevles.

Ideally we would like ski in ski out, but don't think this will be possible to satify both parties.
I was thinking Chamonix, they could then go on day trip to Geneva, go up to glacier, buy me some new ski gear in those cheap shops, meet us in a cafe up the mountain for lunch.

In terms of skiing I would like to do more off piste, in a group preferably. My girlfriend enjoys cruising around in a group on piste.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
k1orange, Chamonix would be an excellent choice - with a car.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
very very old
Mum 64 ish
Dad 78
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
k1orange, I agree that your Dad is starting to get on a wee bit. Your Mum is in her prime. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If money is no object this year! - a friend goes every year with his parents (now in their 80s) and extended family to Zermatt and they love it. The parents go winter walking, meet up with the skiing children and grandchildren for lunch in various mountain restaurants, probably go round the shops, and enjoy a drink in the hotel bar before a superb evening meal. The mountain lifts go up to some amazing viewpoints, adding to the extra special experience.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for Zermatt, they could get a Peak Pass which means they could join you for lunch wherever you were skiing, theres also loads of cafes and shops to visit. Also know someone who goes every year and must be around 80 but he still skis.

Peak Pass
The ideal ticket for hikers, mountain-bikers and nature-lovers.

Unlimited rides on the following cable railways: Matterhorn glacier paradise, Rothorn, Schwarzsee, Gornergrat and on the Matterhorn Gotthard railway between Randa, Täsch and Zermatt. Free entrance to the glacier palace.
Available for 3 or more days at all ticket-offices of the Zermatt mountain transport system.
latest report
Plenty of suggestions in this previous thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1851222
snow report
Chamonix is great for none skiers, Mer de Glace is spectacular (including a visit to to the ice caves and a couple of small museums), an afternoon to the top of Brevent (but make the hot chocolate last, it's pricey), trip up the Aguille de Midi (prob the highest they'll ever go whilst still standing on Earth), train to Vallorcine (whilst you ski up from le Tour and drop down the otherside to meet them...not a lot there though), couple of days in the town (French market on a Sat is good for tastes and smells)...thats 6 days entertainment for them! You can buy a 5 lift pedestrian ticket just be warned the journey to the top of Brevent is 2 lifts (and the Aguille de Midi is not included)!
snow report
I was being very serious when I said Whistler !

The resort is at 600m so your parents won't suffer from altitude issues - remember this when considering France, your 78 yr old Dad may not enjoy 3500m+. Likewise, the resort is fully pedestrianised with c. 200 bars, restaurants, shops, cinema, pools, etc giving them loads of options. Vancouver is a couple of hours away if they wanted a day/overnight and it's a great city. Both mountains are lift served by gondolas rather than chairs meaning your parents can join you for lunch/drinks on the mountain.

Loads of skiing for the two of you, plenty of ski in/out options in FAR better standard accommodation than you will find in Europe.

However, without understanding your budget, length of trip, flight distance preferences, etc it's very hard to suggest something.

Alternatively, you could stay in somewhere like Annecy / Vevey / Montreux where your parents are in a town and you & the boss drive to different resorts ?
ski holidays
k1orange wrote:
Thoughts??

Dolomites - we have had some very successful 3 generations holidays there ( Colletts come strongly recommended - by myself and others ) Skiers have the huge ski Dolomititi - Selle Ronda is a must for any skier. Colletts lead daily walks and snowshoe sessions as well ask skiing, based in Arabba,Covara and Pedraces. They do a pickup from Venice Marco Polo too. Lovely helpful company. PM if you need more info.

Ian
snow report
One more note is that Chamonix (as is Zermatt) has history (which dare I say the old 'uns could relate to) everywhere you look, war history, transport history, climbing/alpine history, etc! I know people who have lived there 10+ years and they still walk around looking up at the mountains...there are very few mountains this spectacular!
snow conditions
Did you mean non?
snow conditions
www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/chalet-hotel-diamant- This is in a lovely village with lots to do for none skiers and a great ski area for skiers ... dolomites beautiful - where better to be at xmas? Ladinish cookery courses, musium and Brunico just a bus ride away.
snow conditions
I think Zermatt. The electric taxis will be invaluable and there is a lot of interest to be found in this town(as distinct from smaller villagey places). But beware your father at 78 and the risk of a fall , though I think they are pretty good at snow clearing here. And the cost will be high in Zermatt. Assuming that is no problem they could also from here take a stunning helicopter ride. And buy you the most fabulous lunches at Findeln....and there is the Gornergrat train......
snow report
Whistler
ski in/out for you free bus to town for parents. Vancouver 2hrs away great city to visit.
snow conditions
lots of good suggestions. But a really "wintry" town such as Zermatt or Innsbruck would be much better, in my opinion, than being based in Annecy. Annecy is a lovely place in summer but can be a little charmless in winter. though cannot compete in the lack of charm stakes with Geneva - a day trip to Geneva is not really worth considering given all the other alternatives suggested here. The Salzburg/Ski Amade suggestion sounds good too - especially if they are fond of Mozart.

But yes, Chamonix would be good too - just leave out the day trip to Geneva. wink

If they are equipped for ordinary mountain walking (not climbing) then adding some snowshoes and doing some guided walks would be terrific and give them a real taste of the mountains. All the likely resorts will have a good programme of guided walks and on undemanding terrain it takes only a few minutes to get the hang of snowshoes. With a pair of poles, snowshoes feel really solid and safe - one worry for older people is that a slip on ice or snow could easily lead to a nasty fracture. Snowshoes do away with that worry.

Using poles round town if it's icy is also a good idea - they need to have two, and to use small backpacks to free up their hands. If it's icy round town it's also worth getting some kind of "crampon" device to fit over walking boots - there are lots on the market. Icy pavements scare the daylights out of me - far scarier than pistes.
snow conditions
k1orange, As someone pushing 50 this year, I regularly take exception to the liberal use of the word old people, it is patronising and in your circumstances, would appear to be contradictory.

Quote:

I am also amongst that group of old people often referred to as the bank of mum and dad, i prefer my offspring to utilise a little more humility prior to accessing funds. Have the old people in question perchance viewed this post, if not, I suggest you show them and canvas their opinion. They are probably more active than you realise!!!!

Farley Goode,

Quote:

The electric taxis will be invaluable and there is a lot of interest to be found in this town(as distinct from smaller villagey places). But beware your father at 78 and the risk of a fall.

Where does it say he is unsteady on his feet???
Why would an electric taxi be of interest to someone who is 64? A tad patronising?

[/quote]
Grizwald, Got it right they are active!

k1orange,

Quote:

very very old
Mum 64 ish

Has your mum seen this??

Please, the response to the initial question missed the point, k1orange, said they are active, the fact that they won't learn to ski doesn't make them any less so.

Anyway with that vented, I hope your mum and dad have a good holiday.
ski holidays
mfamily2, Dad is stated to be 78. That's older than me and I went A over T in the market at Val d'Isere and consider myself lucky not to have broken something. And bones break more easily with age, and probably with cold. 78 is old--fact. To recognise that is not patronising, just common sense and a prompter to prepare accordingly. And the elec taxis are a boon in Zermatt, to all of us ---except when they run into us by being too quiet. The best advice above is the use of poles and getting footwear that will grip. Pam w has a pretty good perspective on it.
ski holidays
Farley Goode, I went up Great Gable a couple of years ago on Remembrance Sunday, for annual the service they hold up there. We had thunder, torrential rain and hail. Wind chill added to the difficult conditions, but at the summit I met a man in his eighties. My point is, don't mistake age for ability and to do so can be viewed as patronising. You said

Quote:

But beware your father at 78 and the risk of a fall

Implying that he is more likely to fall at that age, you don't know that and have made the assumption based upon his age.

Man 80+ found on the summit of Great Gable in November, walked up and walked down, i rest my case.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mfamily2

latest report
My mom happily walks to the shops, church, nightclubs (joking...she drives when she goes raving!), etc but I still worry when she walks across an icy street. Any older people need to stay active, if you do break a limb at 75+ you'll not be mobile for 6 months while it heals which in the meantime other muscles waste and joints stiffen.
It might not happen, but worth consideration...and incase my mom reads this she's not really that old (63ish Blush , not sure) but still worry about her!
ski holidays
manicpb, My active but elderly MiL lives on a hill and we bought her some snowchains for her shoes she was a bit sceptical at first but now she won't go out without them if it's cold/frosty/snowy or if there are lots of slippery leaves on the footpaths.
We bought her these as they are easy to put on and take off.
latest report
manicpb, I have the Yeti shoe-claw www.amazon.co.uk/Yeti-shoe-claw-snow-spikes-snow-chains/dp/B001QJE0UA?tag=amz07b-21 (out of stock at the moment) I got mine in Switzerland when I was having a problem with the icy roads and saw someone wearing them, they were fantastic last winter when we had sheet ice for weeks.
snow report
mfamily2, This is described as a friendly site so I won't pursue . I'm old enough not to be edgy about ageism . I can even see the insurers' viewpoint when they bump up the premiums over the 70 barrier, though it would be better if it were 80.
ski holidays
Farley Goode, I accept your view point, however i don't agree with it.

Thinking about it, I should probably have said it like that first time around. Hey ho, must try harder.

Embarassed

clarky999, wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy