Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Tyres V Normal Tyres

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Having just fitted new tyres, I left it too late to look for winters and just got laughed at, so gave up searching on the basis that the previous tyres were fine in winter and this ones had much better tread than the old ones had when taken off.

Winter tyres are available, just not as wide a selection as you'd like. Got two Avon Icetours to replace my old Vredestein Snowtrac 2s*. But i could only get T rated rather than my usual H. Laws tyres (Aberdeen) were still able to get hold of winter tyres (or all season with a snowflake symbol) at the beginning of the week. Might be a problem in some sizes though as while I was there most calls were about winter tyres and some of the larger sizes were on long delivery times.

* Done just over 30k miles split ~50:50 between back and front, left on all year this time as I wanted to wear them out as I thought they were getting a bit thin at the end of the winter to be good enough for this winter. The new snowtrac 3s have done ~13k on the back and look as new.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have spoke to the insurance company today and they said that fitting winter tyres was fine, as long as i informed them when they were going on. There would be no charge but said i may need to increase the valvation of the car if i put them on? I told them they are not any more expensive than normal summer tyres, and they said thats fine no problem! All i need to do now is find some tyres that will fot my car!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't need to tell the insurance company cos I've just replaced the old winters with new winters wink , but do I need to tell them if I put summer tyres on?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave Horsley, well did they know last year you had them on? If not then you need to inform them
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ricklovesthepowder, why? tyres are tyres. They're consumables and they're the correct rating for the car, I'm certainly not about to inform my insurance company. I don't call them when I change the pads in the disk brakes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From the Direct Line web site re the fitting of winter tyres
http://www.directline.com/news/2010/article453.htm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, You have to inform them they are on the car, if you dont then its just another excuse for them not to pay out if needed. Its only a phone call. My insurance company said i just need to let them know when they are going on!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, Since my insurance company do not have the faintest idea (nor have shown the faintest interest) in what tyres my car had when purchased how would they ever know if I have "modified" it by switching to winter tyres? What is the difference between switching from Michelin to Hankook? I use tyres as specified by the manufacturer, that is all the insurance company need to know. On my car the situation re alloys/steels is the same - some vehicles came with each, they don't know which sort I have. When you buy a car secondhand you don't even know what bits of it are options/standard, let alone notify the insurance company!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like Robin, I don't see why it makes a difference notifying my insurer, the tyres that are fitted (or will be fitted) to my car are listed as suitable for my car in the owners manual. If anything my insurance would be invalid if I didn't fit winter tyres as I'm planning on driving it over to Austria this Winter....

And my insurer (LV) states on their website:
Quote:
Will putting winter (snow) tyres on my car affect my insurance premium?

Answer

No, we don't view winter tyres as a modification (as long as they're of standard size and specification for your car and are in road worthy condition), fitting them won't affect your premium and you don't need to let us know.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We change our tyres twice a year here in Germany and in most of Alpine Europe. I really cannot see/understand what all the fuss is in the UK! I used snow and all weather tyres in the UK as well when I lived there - there was never any reason to inform my insurer, then nor now! The snow tyres were on their rims and my all weather on theirs, my local garage changed then in the UK and did all the checking and balancing. Same happens here.

In the UK we kept the spare set in the garden shed and here, my garage stores whichever set I'm not using!

I think the insurance companies are just happy we do change the tyres to suit the weather and conditions as we pay and they don't! Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not all insurance companies accept modifications. Winter tyres are exactly that. Your modifying your vehicle and it didn't come out of the factory like that. Now if we were using common sense then we all know that winter tyres help us during the colder months and should, in theory reduce the chance of an accident. Like I said, not every insurance company accepts modification, so check to see if yours does. If not, then winter tyres won't be allowed, or move to a company that does accept modifications.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bet it werent the insurance company who told you it were a modification, be it were a 3rd party call centre gadgie under contract to the insurance co, who didnt have it in their training/notes/system, so when in doubt will claim modification. Don't ever think you're talking to a dedicated company employee when you phone a helpline - more than half the time it will be a 3rd party who might not know or at least have the autority to make correct calls on unusual or difficult requests.

turns made on cairngorm today i'm hearing Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Not all insurance companies accept modifications. Winter tyres are exactly that.

Totally 100% incorrect. The ABI and SMMT have agreed that winter tyres are not a notifiable modification:

http://www.smmt.co.uk/2010/12/smmt-reassures-motorists-on-fiscal-and-practical-benefits-of-winter-tyres/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Not all insurance companies accept modifications. Winter tyres are exactly that. Your modifying your vehicle and it didn't come out of the factory like that.

But by that definition everytime I change the tyres its a modification. Cos it came from the factory with Goodyears, but when they wore out I put on Vredesteins (or whatever - like some cheap rubbish with a much longer stopping dsitance).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For those Snowheads interested in winter tyres Smile , this week's Auto Express magazine has a 3 page article on winter tyres and a review of 9 different manufacturers' winter tyres, see this.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
For those Snowheads interested in winter tyres Smile , this week's Auto Express magazine has a 3 page article on winter tyres and a review of 9 different manufacturers' winter tyres, see this.

Cheers but about 8hours to late Smile I ordered mine this morning, not listed on there, just have to see how it goes.
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader, Are they black and round? if so you should be all right. Laughing
snow report
Quote:

For those Snowheads interested in winter tyres , this week's Auto Express magazine has a 3 page article on winter tyres and a review of 9 different manufacturers' winter tyres, see this.

Interestingly, and I am not suggesting there is any bias on their reporting but it seems the test was 'supported' by Continental and the result was... Any guesses.....

Overall verdict

1 Continental 100.0 Best winter
2 Goodyear 99.3
3 Pirelli 98.9
4 Michelin 98.7
5 Hankook 96.4 Best all-season
6 Vredestein 95.7
7 Nankang 93.5
8 Kumho 90.0
NR Dunlop 99.1
NR Summer tyre 60.1

Now far be it from me to suggest any wrong doing, but here is another test of winter tyres...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Auto-Bild-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm
snow report
ansta1, neither test includes Vredestein Wintrac 4Xtreme which, from tests I saw a year or so ago, would be at the top or very near the top of either of those tests. I've been massively impressed with mine and have new set on order. Old set now done 37,000 miles over 2 years and been left on summer and winter. They are mighty impressive on snow and ice too so no question of switching brands. Had MOT today and still got 3mm of tread so in theory they can carry on for a bit. So, I'm a happy camper - and they're cheaper than equivalent summer tyre for my car.

Other thing to be wary of with such tests is that some tyres are better suited to certain vehicles and there will be variances in results based on tyre size being used and the vehicle it is on and whether they are XL (extra load) versions. No different to ski tests in those regards.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller,

absolutely and wasn't suggesting either test was more accurate or correct just providing additional refernce date.

My aging Audi has just been shod with a set of 195/65/15 Dunlops ready for the winter and will once again have fun going past all the lovely cars this winter without suitable rubber*. With SWMBO getting her's next week (just not as cheap being 215/55/16 and a higher speed rating to boot).

* While I absolutely agree winter tyres make a big difference, the biggest difference is the spare tyre behind the driving wheel.....
snow conditions
Having said:
Quote:

neither test includes Vredestein Wintrac 4Xtreme which, from tests I saw a year or so ago, would be at the top or very near the top of either of those tests. I've been massively impressed with mine and have new set on order.

... I now find out that I have been gazumped! Can't believe it. Had the tyres on order nice and early and today told that stocks not into UK until February "if at all" as vast majority go to mainland Europe - some German family will be cruising around on "my" tyres. So, managed to nab some Goodyear Ultragrip 500s instead - which also looks like a v good tyre. Think the message is to get your winter tyres NOW before it's too late.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, where was that from?
I ordered mine through mytyres.co.uk theres been a delay but they are now on route. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Dwarf Vader, now is the high season for getting your winter tyres fitted over here. Most people use the O bis O rule (October to Ostern/Easter), I think those countries that actually specify dates actually state sometime around the beginning of November as the start date. My local workshop is working round the clock for the next 3 weeks getting all the customers sorted out. It appears to be the same wherever I look. Luckily I had a big service at the end of September, so I asked them to put mine on then as part of that service.

Could be that UK dealers ordering from Germany have a delay in receiving their orders.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, I was told that some orders scheduled for UK had been diverted to mainland European countries due to demand. You don't need any tyres because you're always in a jam eh?

Dwarf Vader, I was going via my local Vredestein agent having got a no from Camskill, Mytyres and Tyremen for my partcular size. He mainly tries to sell Vredestein but is having big supply probs right now.
snow report
Bode Swiller, I too am having a lot of trouble sourcing a new set of Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme (not the 4 Xtreme, though I did see those supposedly available at one supplier). Mine are in theory on a back order due in next week, but I am still nervous and I will believe it when I see the 4 new tyres on my car.

Having had them for the past two seasons I don't really want to change brand either but think I may have to.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, I'm rarely in any jams as I speak and understand the lingo and I know my way around, unlike several expert armchair punters in the UK.
The last time I got stuck in a jam was when I listened to one of those punters who swore blind that there is never any problem on their mega route! wink Come to think of it, I do believe I followed your advice! Learnt my lesson now Toofy Grin I listen to local radio/TV and follow the locals, not the GB sticker Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, well, being a mere punter I am just thrilled that you listened to me, little punterish GB-stickered old me in my freshly patronised armchair. Oh shucks!
ski holidays
I used blackcircle.com in Dec last year and got Goodyear Ultragrip 7+ at a good deal and locally fitted. Kept on all year, but car does not get much use out of winter as I am afloat in my boat! Looking forward to giving them a good work out this winter!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colinstone, where does your boat float?
snow report
Received mine today Smile

Unless the weather gets really bad here I'm not putting them on till end of Nov for my trip out.
ski holidays
pam w, In France/Belgium/Netherlands. Currently on the Historic Canal du Centre in Belgium waiting for one of the old boat lifts to be fixed. Lots more detail at www.luxe-motor-kei.co.uk.
snow conditions
Hmm. Our neighbour looks after the maintenance on our car, as he works at Nissan and gets the servicing done thro the factory. After a service last week, he ordered us two replacement tyres which arrived yesterday.We put them in the garage this morning, and the mobile fitter came at lunchtime. Now we don't normally change for full winter tyres, as we have always had 4x4 M&S ones (Pirelli Scorpions are on the front wheels at the moment), but these have no eveidence of M&S and appear to be a summer high performance tyre (Bridgestone Dueler). I'm sure we've had Duellers before on another X-trail, and also sure they had M&S symbol.
ski holidays
Hells Bells,
Quote:

Duellers before on another X-trail, and also sure they had M&S symbol.

Yep our X trail had Duellers from new with M+S marking but I think Nissan dont fit them anymore.
latest report
Boredsurfing, these ones don't have M&S symbol on them as far as I can see.
snow report
New ones http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/tyres/car-4x4-and-van/4x4/dueler-hp-sport
snow conditions
front ones http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+STR
ski holidays
Hells Bells, hmm, Duellers no longer M+S? Maybe that's why Nissan stopped fitting them at the factory??

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 18-11-11 16:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, which is obviously what I am concerned about.
latest report
Boredsurfing, I think our current X-trail had either Continentals or Pirellis when new, so maybe that is why.
ski holidays
I believe winter tyre should be treated as winter equipment and replaced with the summer tyre when the season is over.

I run a set of Nokia winter tyres on my 3 litre Subaru and find them not as solid as the stock tyre in summer for the high speed driving.

Last week I got a set of winter tyres, Dunlop 4D, for the wife's Golf GTI. I could feel a certain amount of free movement if the car is driven hard around corners. The winter tyre is V rated too but the stock high speed summer tyre is definitely more suitable for the summer use.

A winter tyre must have the continuous ring cut up to form block pattern, good for digging, for the "mud & snow" use. The basic design is to have the additional zig zag grooves which actually subdivide each block further into smaller blocks like a brush made of a large number of small tiny rubber erasers at its head. You can try to prise your finger into the small blocks between the zig zag grooves to see how flexible the tyre has been deliberately arranged for your use. For high speed driving stiff suspension is preferred and so the low profile tyre. Therefore winter tyre by its basic design requirement is less satisfactory for hard summer use. So don't get caught using the right equipment for the wrong application..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy