Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milton Keynes Xscape replaces snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Milton Keynes Xscape came in for some heavy criticism from users last week on the SCUK (snowboardclub.co.uk) forum. There were problems with the snow, and one of the Poma lifts broke down.

See this thread.

This has culminated in the operators saying they've replaced part of the snow surface. See this statement to SCUK, published today.

It'd be interesting to hear from regular snowdome users as to how often they find the snow is replaced - probably quite an expensive exercise in use of energy, both to super-cool the water and blast it into the airspace.

Anyone been to Milton Keynes in recent days?

A lot of expertise in indoor snowmaking must now have accumulated, with some of the major domes now ten or more years old. The challenge of maintaining a good surface is an interesting one - snow crystals have a nasty tendency to bond and form ice or large particles. Replicating the soft fresh groomed (or ungroomed) experience of a mountain must be difficult to justify commercially.

I once visited the pioneering Snowmec (later to become Acer Snowmec) indoor snow facility in Telford in the late 1980s. Even this early technology produced phenomenally good snow, though it experienced relatively low traffic. The sub-slope cooling system used there, and other aspects, were subsequently installed at Milton Keynes, Castleford, and are now in operation at the huge new Dubai facility to be opened next month.

Here's their website, for anyone interested.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went on saturday....lifts not working (again!!!), very icy at the top and general snow conditions slow and poor I thought. However, compared to a dry slope a thousand times better, so it is the best we will get in this country. Ideal for learning on though, as it gives a good taster. Don't know if i'll go again this year to be honest!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ive only been to the Castleford Escape and Ive never seen both the lifts working at the same time, even when it was busy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David G. They take off roughly 1ft - 3ft of snow every 6 weeks. This time (last Monday) took off a bit more. So the snow has been rubbish. It should be good for Saturday though, and then the next couple of weeks. Prior to this week it has been generally good. When required both lifts have been running.
(A friend is a manager as are three instructors)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to Tamworth 2 weeks ago, and the snow was the best I've experienced there. You usually get bare icy patches right at the top and after the left hand dog-leg where most of the snow seems to get scraped away by those learning in the snow-board lessons. This time however, the snow was great (and there was a lesson running as well).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The last time I visited Castleford, one of the Pomas was out of action for the first hour. It was extremely busy and I literally got 4 runs in the hour! Annoying!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to MK this morning only one side open and one lift. There was some work going on the right hand drag, some arc welding at the base of a pylon. The snow was ok, better than on some other vists, but a little icy at the top as usual. Only 3 months and 22 days until the real stuff!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy