Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utterly confused about buying new skis !

Poster: A snowHead
After posting requesting help on replacing my Bandit B2's, I have decided to get some new skis !

But am getting so confused !! My Bandit B2's were a prime example of 'punter' skis but marketed as 'all-mountain' at the time, have been searching relentlessly online for a new replacement, as you all know demoing skis is a fricking nightmare living in England. So have narrowed it down to the following skis, so if anyone has any info would be most appreciated.

My skiing level is can ski everything on-piste with no style Laughing Hav'nt had any lessons for 10yrs so am crap at Moguls and flat light, would like to venture into off-piste occaisionally and am 5'9 and 74kgs.

The skis I have sort of short listed are:

Rossignol Experience 83
Dynastar Outland xt 80
Scott Rictor
Movement Zip

but then I read reviews about Scott Missions and thinking maybe could get away with slightly fatter skis, but have no idea on this at all !

Thx snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to Tignes, find "Snowpark" Rue de la Poste Tignes le Lac and rent some from Regise whom speaks excellent English, he wont mind how many you try and will guide you to the right ski as he holds a moniteur de ski licence, the rent charge will be taken off the skis you buy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you make it to any of the fridges? The shops there do demos and certaily E B are doing demo nights at the ones they have shops at http://www.ellis-brigham.com/skitest.htm
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think it would be cheaper to buy on spec than to fly to Tignes to demo some skis Laughing

Slush and rubble will only let you try two skis at a time, don't know what Ellis brighams rules are. But living on the south coast means a minimum 160 mile round trip to demo some skis and none of those shops have the dynastars.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suggest you contact Dynastar Lange on Tel: +44 (0)1952 812234 for your nearest stockist
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Buy a pair of skis from any mainstream manufacturer which are sold as "all-mountain" or "80/20 piste/off-piste" etc. and you'll be fine. Believe that they are the best skis for you and they will be.

If you are a typical bloke then you will research the options and agonise over the decision until you hand over the cash. Once they are in your possession they will become the best skis in the world for you.

I know mine are.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jzBun wrote:
Believe that they are the best skis for you and they will be.

QFT.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or just do what I did and pick up a pair of Storms cheap off ebay!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jzbun, haha how true that is ! It was so much easier before this interweb thingy (although I had no money then !). Had a look at those storm skis.....be interested to see how they ski.

So if thats the case I should get the Dynastar outland pro's, they've just won Fall line mag's "all mountain" ski of the year !

They do the outland in a pro or xt, the pro has more metal in it and stiffer, whereas the xt is cheaper and softer, I'm thinking xt as used to the bandits which have a foam core.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or should I just get some Preachers Puzzled

snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd be wary about putting much weight on testing done in a snowdome as the style of skiing done in their is so different to what you would do on a real mountain.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2planks, I'd say plan your next ski hol somewhere where a shop would let you demo... there really is nothing like trying skis back to back. And my advise is to stick to proper Sl or GS skis if you love the piste, otherwise go fatter.. I jumped from the old 76mm B2's straight to 98mm underfoot and they are a hell of a lot better at on piste turns and so much more fun once you get off it Very Happy Not many bad skis around these days.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa wrote:
2planksNot many bad skis around these days.

I agree and also the point jzBun makes about once you get to use them you will love any ski.
If you have been honest about your ability level then any all mountain ski will do.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for your help everybody, nothing conclusive but good thinking matter whilst I'm stuck at home ill !

The Scott Neo's seem to be coming up as a good choice, after speaking to a couple of shops.

Now really confused about length, my B2's are 166, edge length around 140ish. Being of length 175cm and mass of 72-74 kgs, one shop suggested I ski a 176 neo, does any one know what the effective edge length is of the 176 ?

Cheers and thinking about snow and skiing is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment whilst stuck with a lovely inner ear infection
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why not go the whole hog and get some Elan Amphibio WF 82 xti's?
ski holidays
Have only tried my Storm Cyclones in the Tamworth fridge so far and they are great skis, would have been good a list price but at the £180 I paid inc bindings are an absolute steal
ski holidays
Raceplate, eh !?

Can't see any Storm cyclones left on fleabay.
snow conditions
2planks, I went from 170 B2s to 177 twin tips... I'm also fairly close to your height and weight. Something in high 170's should be fine. Just take a tape measure to a store hehehe
snow report
I was being flippant. You obviously didn't like my suggestion for some Salomon XT800's that have got some fantastic write-ups for your level in your previous thread so I thought I'd suggest something a bit more 'trendy'. The Elans are realskiers.com's ski of the year in the all-mountain 50%+ groomed category. If you really want to confuse yourself to death you might want to pay the $20 for full access of their site wink

In your threads you've clearly stated that you have no style, don't take lessons, don't like ice, bumps or flat light and only ski one week a year. You're clearly not a technical skier so why are you looking at advanced/expert level skis like the Neos? Whilst I admire your ambition I think you're in serious danger of buying skis above your level that do nothing for your confidence and progression. I speak from experience having made the same mistake myself in my early years (when I skied on GS race skis all the time - great for learning carving skills, bug all use for learning anything else). I would accept the argument that 'higher level skis help you progress' if you were doing multiple weeks a year but not in your circumstances. Buy something that enhances your holiday, not that ruins it.
snow report
Raceplate, because that's what a ski shop suggested when I rang up and asked for advice, stating my level of skiing etc, in fact another shop recommended Atomic theory's at 95mm underfoot !! When I bought my B2's they were meant to be an all-mountain int-advanced ski but are really easy to ski, so why can't have another all mountain ski !!??

Also googling Elan thingmebobs wtf xti's comes up with only one stockist in the UK. I'm lucky in that I can afford to buy some new skis, so what if I only go skiing once a year and have no style, I skied every marked piste in St. Anton last year (did'nt go off as my mate did'nt want to) and it was my poor level of fitness that let me down, not my technique, having skied for 10 years, about 22 weeks on snow. I posted on here to get some technical advice, I had a look at the Salomons and they don't appeal.

Anyhow have made my mind up now so thread closed, Ta ! NehNeh

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 3-10-11 22:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Best way (and I have to admit I haven't always done it myself) is to try before you buy if at all possible - best in a mountain environment IMHO but a dome would be better than not.
latest report
Well to update this old thread, I bought some Scott Neo skis, 176cm long.

Took them to Selva, which had really only manmade snow and was quite hard pack.

They were much better than the ol' Rossi bandit b2's 166cm, the longer length was only really felt in short turns but nice and stable at speed and good edge grip on the scratchy stuff, didn't at once feel like the skis were beyond my talent at all and really enjoyed them, even found a bit of wind blown powder (only boot deep) on the last day and the skis were fantastic in that. Really pleased that I bought them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy