Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructor Courses

Poster: A snowHead
Little Angel
Hi this is my first post on snowheads. I am wondering if anyone new which company would be suitable for an 11 week ski instructor course. I would preferably like to travel to Canada to complete the course in my gap year. I was also wondering what ability you need to be before doing the course. As i am new to skiing I have only been to the mountains once and wondered how to assess myself?! Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Loads do - but 11 weeks is pricey. I did a four week one with Peak Leaders a few years ago (but in Austria), which was ace. A mate had a good time with Ski le Gap, and Nonstop seem to get mentioned a lot.

In general to do the first level of most instructing systems you don't really have to be all that good - ski black runs competently and snowplough properly etc - which with 11 weeks of coaching really shouldn't be that much of a challenge! Most of us on my course were quite a bit better than that, but I think the longer courses would be more suited to beginners (think Ski le Gap ran separate courses for novices and experienced skiers).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Emile, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

If Canada, Non-Stop have a good reputation, I've seen them in operation in Fernie and everyone seemed to be doing OK and having a good time. BASI Gap run a program in Whistler.

Depends if you just want to do it for the sake of it or actually want to use your qualification at the end of it, if so you need to decide where you're likely to want to work, then decide whether CSIA or BASI is best for you.

As regards entry level, you should be confident parallel skiing red runs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Depends if you just want to do it for the sake of it or actually want to use your qualification at the end of it, if so you need to decide where you're likely to want to work, then decide whether CSIA or BASI is best for you.

As regards entry level, you should be confident parallel skiing red runs.

I agree with Spyderman. If your ultimate goal is to teach in the French Alps for example then you need to go the BASI route! Also from my experience having taught people to pass these courses (Base Camp) in Val d'Isere very often attitude is as important as aptitude. By that I mean the 'newer' skiers often have less bad habits to banish so I do not necessary agree with 'the less experience you have - the longer the course you need to do'.

Personally I would recommend you simply do your level 1 course in the UK indoors to see what the world of ski teaching is all about before committing to paying lots of money to a gap year provider.... you may hate teaching / what is required in the courses etc and then decide that simply an improvement course out in Canada may be better for you!

Good luck.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Emile,
You can call (01479) 861 717 - the is the office of BASI who oversee the qualification for ski teachers in the UK.
They will be able to give you lots of advice and some details and telephone numbers for course providers.

Good luck
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Emile, how much have you actually skiied? To do a BASI course you'll need a fair bit of experience - about 16wks on snow, and be able to ski parallel in the fall line. I think there are some Canadian gap courses that would take you with little experience.

Check out:

www.basigap.com
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Emile - I'm booked on to an 11 week course in January with Canadian Rockies Academy, who do their level 1 and 2 CSAI / CASI in Jasper. I did a lot of research into this (infact about 3 years worth!!), as, as someone has already pointed out, it's a lot of money to spend. What I found was the vast majority of companies (including those already mentioned) don't include flights or weekend meals in their prices, so you can pay £7k - £8k for the course, then pay for return flights on top, plus a lot of money on food at the weekends etc when you get there. In my mind this takes it from the expensive to the very expensive! CRA include flights and ALL meals (7 days a week, with the exception of lunch) in their prices, and seem to have a good pass rate (although we all know 86.7% of all stats can be made up). I've just payed my last installment and every dealing I've had with them has been spot on - to the point where they have inserted a clause into my booking offering to refund me all monies payed (with the exception of flights) if I get a particular job I'm waiting on (and have been for nearly 3 years). That for me was the clincher. I also think (and this is a personal view, others may disagree) that if the official tourist office web page 'advertises' the company there must be a good relationship with the locals.

Anyway; http://canadianrockiesacademy.com/
And; http://www.skimarmot.com/home.html

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and have fun!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski le gap in tremblant is a good option for someone with little alpine experience
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow! That is a lot of information to take in ! Thank you all so much for the quick replies ! Urmm if I'm being honest I have only started skiing in feb but must go about twice a week to the indoor snow slopes. I have booked to go away in france for the weekend to be assessed and to see if I have the capability to do it. I have looked at all the websites that you gave me and will take into consideration what you have all said. If I have any more queries I will be back. Thank you all again xx
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Emile,

It's definitely worth thinking about where you want to instruct in the long run and of course about the country/resort that you want to spend your season in! Both the CSIA and BASI qualification bodies will enable you to instruct around the world but at your current level we'd recommend taking the CSIA route, because as beanie1 says the BASI qualifications do require a little more on-snow experience.

You should also check out SnowSkool, we offer ski instructor courses of varying lengths in Canada, France, New Zealand, and the U.S.A. We cater for all levels and always include return flights. Give us a call, we'd be more than happy to help!

http://www.snowskool.co.uk

Hope you have a good time in France!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have looked at snowskool and it looks absolutely amazing! Little Angel It is good that they include like everything ! I will definitely consider this one ! Little Angel I just need to improve my confidence first . Thank youuu xx
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are wanting all inclusive then truly consider gapski in Tignes, France - I am lead to believe that inclusive wise they are hard to beat - certainly this side of the pond - but don't quote me on that!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowskool wrote:
Hi Emile,

It's definitely worth thinking about where you want to instruct in the long run and of course about the country/resort that you want to spend your season in! Both the CSIA and BASI qualification bodies will enable you to instruct around the world but at your current level we'd recommend taking the CSIA route, because as beanie1 says the BASI qualifications do require a little more on-snow experience.

You should also check out SnowSkool, we offer ski instructor courses of varying lengths in Canada, France, New Zealand, and the U.S.A. We cater for all levels and always include return flights. Give us a call, we'd be more than happy to help!

http://www.snowskool.co.uk

Hope you have a good time in France!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Emile,

As good as Snowskool look, just bear in mind that you have to provide your own food at weekends - that will soon add up. Also extra things like first aid / avi awareness courses are optional which will be an added cost should you want to do them - these will be (I am making a presumption here) a pre-requisite should you want to work in the industry (I prepare to corrected if I'm wrong). I looked at Snowskool but was put off by those particular things.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First aid and avvy courses are a pre requisite in some places, but not most. For the jobs you are looking at with a L2 (be it CSIA, BASI or whatever), those would be nice, but plenty get jobs without. That said, you'll end up doing them if you stay instructing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No avalanche awareness required until level 3. (BASI).
snow report
All BASI qualifications require a valud first aid, and I would guess that most employers of L2s would also require first aid.
snow conditions
A friend of mine did her instructor course at Whistler with Yes Ski Improvement (http://www.yesimprovement.com/), she had an amazing time. The coaches/instructors that they use are fantastic, I skied with a few of them on a training course and was blown away by the standard of the Level 4 trainers.
snow report
Surprised I am the first to comment ...... but how can you be seriously considering a ski instructor course if you have
only been to the mountains once ...................
snow report
Even though I have only been on the mountains once I go to indoor slopes about three times a week and am going to France as I said earlier to assess myself to see if I will be cut out to do the course.
snow conditions
there are plenty of people who have a level 1 qualification who have never skied on a mountain at all. So Emilie - you go for it... and keep practicing indoor before you go!
ski holidays
The best way to "assess" yourself would be to have a lesson with an instructor. They would know if you're at the required level or not, even as a level 1 instructor. They would be able to give you tips on what to improve.
Also the actual "test" courses (well BASI) are really isntructive, you are learning a hell of a lot, not solely being assessed. So with a gap course you would be fine if you can link parallel turns down a dome beforehand. My cousin did the Ski le Gap course in Tremblant last year and loved it, he'd only been to the alps skiing 3/4 times and was far from the worst there.

Cost wise, if you've only just started skiing a gap course is the way to go. I've done a lot of skiing so did the BASI 1 course on its own last year and am doing a season and will do level 2 out there. It costs slightly more this way, but I'm free to ski pow/park when I want and am there for 20 weeks not 10. But for someone new to skiing it's the perfect way to improve rapidly without picking up bad habits.
latest report
Thank you for all of the support! I have my heart set on doing a gap year and have looked into the sites you have given me, and a lot of them will be at earls court in a couple of weeks time so I can ask more questions Smile.
latest report
Emilie ill be co-exhibiting on the GapSki (gap year company) stand at the show - pop over and say hi - yes Steve is my real not SH name!
ski holidays
Emilie - I got back from a 13 week instructor course in Banff (skiing Sunshine Village) in April. Completed my CSIA 1 & 2 and also did AV1 avalanche safety qualifications. I did the course with Snowskool. If you want to know anything about them, the course or Banff just give me a pm because when I was trying to choose which company/resort to hand my cash out to, I found first hand help is invaluable!
ski holidays
Hi Emilie, Not sure if your still looking but if you're keen to go to Canada, have you thought about Whistler? It's the largest resort in North America and so a great resort for a long trip with loads of terrain. Alltracks runs 4 -11 week instructor courses there. We have multiple ability groups so can stream people into groups of similar ability. We can happily put you in touch with people who have completed the courses over the last few years if that would be helpful. If so, please just let me know. Take a look at http://www.alltracksacademy.com if your interested or call us on 01794 388 034.

If you've already made your plans, have a great time.
snow report
Emile, Sounds lime you've done the right thing in booking a weekend in France to have someone assess your skiing.

Where do you ski in the uk? Chances are you could find someone there who would evaluate your skiing prior to the french weekend if you wanted.
latest report
Hey emile, I did a course with International Academy in Lake Louise Canada and was the best thing i have ever done and I can’t recommend it enough. In my opinion they were the best to run from Banff giving you the most for your money. Also all the of the people that were on my course and have applied to get jobs this season have got them. If you can see to a reasonable level like red runs in Europe you will be fine on any instructor course as they pull apart your skiing and teach you everything again anyway.
snow conditions
I ski in milton keynes xscape and I enjoy it so much there. All the websites sound great and am looking into them further ! Thank you so much Smile xxx
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tintin, Hi, I hope you still use your account. I am planing to do a ski instructor course in Canada and saw your post. Could you tell me more about snowskool? How was the course structured? Any problems?
Did your skiimg technique improve?

Thx

Michael
latest report
Wonder if Emile is a Salomon / RedBull YouTube star by now...
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:
Wonder if Emile is a Salomon / RedBull YouTube star by now...

And how many weeks he's spent on snow in the 9 ½ years since he asked about instructor training...?
snow report
@Ace99, Their last post was over 7 years ago so you're probably out of luck...
ski holidays
@Ace99, probably best to start a new thread. @Tintin, last posted anything in 2012.

Might be best in here... https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=11
ski holidays
@ Red Leon: It was not my intention to bash someone. As older you get as much you stop asking yourself about the different views on life or do you see a good reason to hike Mt. Everest with no hiking experience and in a very bad shape thinking the Sherpa will carry me up....

@ musehead and @adithrop thank you very much for your suggestion!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy