Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slalom skis: Rossi vs. Salomon et al

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm looking at SL skis for next season: Tried Rossi's 9SL last year which was good but was wondering about other skis, particularly Sal 3V. Looks like Rossis are slightly wider through the tip, waist and tail than most other manufacturers which to me seems to imply slower edge to edge response... any thoughts?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slalom skis are highly individual. You really need to try a few out before buying. What is good for some might be poor for others.

There are reviews here. http://www.winter-sports.com/EN/Skitests/index.php?anneetest=2010&type=m

What you buy in the shop is also very different to Slalom skis from the race department at the factory, which are supplied to the racers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I know you're right and all skis are individual, but unfortunately I won't get a chance to try anymore skis before I order (hence the need for some opinions!). Probably getting a level down from from factory kit. I've tried Dynastar's Omeglass - mediocre, but that wasn't the sidecut's fault! 9SL springs out of the turn better but still just hesitant that I'm not built for Rossi's Oversize kit. In which I'd go for the 3V's more traditional dimensions. Anyone ever tried them both?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have skied 3V's Rossi 9S and Stockli SL all FIS models. So these are all just factory race department, not anything fancy with extra material and stiffness and super quick base material that goes to EC or WC athletes.

To be honest I think that any manufacturers top end ski is always going to be pretty decent, they are all raced and developed at a high level with a decent level of quality in the manufacture. I have ordered a set of the Head SL RD for this coming season, should again be a fun ski, I have skied plenty of Heads other products and have loved them all.

I think that you just have to adapt to whatever is under your feet. The flex patterns are all a touch different, the 9S felt quicker edge to edge maybe due to the slant nose design. Stockli and 3V felt stiff in the tail Stockli felt fairly forgiving in the tip. All laterally very stiff skis which is of course essential to grip well on ice. 9S seemed to have a more even flex pattern, maybe more forgiving IMO, but hard to say as I didnt have this in the gates unlike the others, things change a lot when you ski in the gates!

Basically without rambling on any more I dont think that you could wrong with any of them. For me the 9S felt fast and fun straight away. Without testing them all you wouldnt know any better anyways and once you are used to them you are bound to enjoy them and get on well with them. Also depends on your intended use, if you were actually going to race then you would not want the 'oversize' model, they are very much slower edge to edge and the lateral stiffness doesnt come close to the race department type skis.
Just go for what you can find the best deal on, make sure to match a decent stiff ski with a decent binding. No point in getting a FIS ski and putting on some sort of Smart track system with flexible plastic rails, get some decent metal bindings on them with a fairly high DIN range. Also matching with a decent stiff boot makes a big difference!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^^^^^ 100% agree

you need to match up the equipment more than anything, no point skiing around on a slalom ski whilst being in a pair of soft squishy boots which may be good for cruising around but just will not transmit the power to the ski
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy