Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

austria resort over new year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hey all!

myself and my husband are planning a ski trip to austria over the new year. were just not sure what resort to go to with it being my first time ever skiing and him having been a few times before. we would like a lively place with atmosphere but not to busy on the slopes any recommendations??

many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
asheyg, I recommend you try and book something right now. New Year is rammed in most places in Austria (that said, slopes won't necessarily be as rammed). Try a search on www.tiscover.com or www.booking.com - there are places but at the pricier end of the market. Best of luck snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
asheyg, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

I think you'll find most Austrian ski resorts (apart from very small ones) have a fairly lively apres ski scene. Of course on New Year's Eve there will be plenty of celebrating, and plenty of fireworks let off by the locals at midnight (just watch out for the bangers the local kids like to throw!) Toofy Grin

As it's your first time skiing, I would suggest Westendorf as a good choice, and it's a pretty town as well. I'm sure others will suggest alternatives.

Enjoy your first ski holiday - WARNING, it can be addictive! Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good idea to go to Austria - I always find it the most fun and friendly. And it's mainly good value.

A place for nice hotels, uncrowded slopes (because it's at the end of a valley), reliable snow and a good ski school is Obergurgl. There is brilliant apres-ski with live music three times a week at the Nederhut, just up the mountain on a blue run home; beginners can get a skidoo down if they don't fancy skiing the (floodlit) way back. The main operator there is Inghams, but Crystal/Thomson also go - and I think there's even a chalet operator there now (though it's more of a hotel sort of town). Ski School is Sunday to Friday, all day (unlike some places where group lessons are morning only) so you can go straight into a class after arriving Saturday.

It's a compact town; you can walk everywhere - as long as you stay in Obergurgl proper and not what used to be called Untergurgl (about a mile away, down the valley) or Hochgurgl (about 4 miles away and linked by lift; would not recommend either for a first-timer). The liveliest hotel and the one with the most Brits is the very central Edelweiss and Gurgl, with a nice hotel bar, plus an umbrella bar out the back. There might be quite a lot of children in teh school holidays as it's popular with families. Lots of others are good and central too - Gamper, Jenewein, Josl (with a cellar bar). There are loads of B&Bs but packages don't use these much and if it's your first time I would recommend taking a package - I think it is usually cheaper, too. Obergurgl is about 1.5hr transfer from Innsbruck.

Have fun, wherever you go!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm, not sure I'd recommend Westendorf for a first-time, I love the place but there aren't any real nursery slopes, you go from the flat bit right at the bottom pretty much to standard blue run difficulty (the top of the official nursery slope is actually fairly steep!).

I'd recommend Saalbach, lot's of excellent mellow learning slopes, then lots of easy blues to progress onto, loads of area for your husband to explore, and a pretty damn good party for New Year - torch lit parade by the instructors early on (followed by 'piste basher dancing'), then everyone congregates around the Thurm lift at 12 for lots of banter, magnums of (cheap) champagne (go to Spar) and fireworks. Really efficient lift system too so it's rarely that crowded in the day.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys but have just been recommended soll by a work colleague or do you think resort would be to of my league for a beginner?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
asheyg, you might be better off looking at Brixen im Thale, Ellmau or Scheffau if one of you is a beginner. They are all on the same system as Söll, but have better nursery areas and less liklihood of a bottle-neck getting up the mountain in the morning.

Bavarian schools are on holiday until the 6th January, so that week could be busy with day trippers as well as families. The 6th is actually a holiday for us in Bavaria, so the Friday, Sat and Sunday traffic situation could be a royal PITA! Söll being the closest to the motorway fills up first, followed by Scheffau. Ellmau has more options and Brixen is on the other side of the mountain range they all share so it further to drive, plus it has uplift going up in 2 directions.

You will need to decide soon and book if you are going independent. If you are looking at using a British TO maybe you can take more time, but not much.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

everyone congregates around the Thurm lift at 12

clarky999, Duly noted for next NYE! We fancy a change from the village square. Presumably you get a good view of all the fireworks from there?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ha that's one way to put it, I was bloody terrified! Someone managed to hit the lift cable with one last year, felt a bit like downtown Baghdad! Great atmosphere though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy