Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for BASI L1

Poster: A snowHead
Reading through some of the stuff on this ready for my daughter for next year. recommendation is for "All Mountain Skis" and "Not Twin Tips". My daughter currently only has twin tips which are probably getting a bit short for her anyway. I'll try to get them soon so she can use them skiing this winter before her course next summer. She'll need something about 155cm I guess. Any recommendations?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't find anything ploughing through searches.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B wrote:
Reading through some of the stuff on this ready for my daughter for next year. recommendation is for "All Mountain Skis" and "Not Twin Tips".
My recommendation would be for a ski which will perform well on piste and not too fat. For people who are doing the L1 indoors I think something like a slalom ski is perfect. For an L1 outdoors a slalom ski would be OK, or something which is a bit wider. For all the BASI courses I've done (except for the off-piste mountain safety) I've used skis with a turn radius of around 15-17m, 78mm underfoot (and regular width tip and tails) and reasonable stiff. Most other candidates on the courses with me have been on similar skis, and the same for the Trainers who are running the courses.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, would echo rob@rar's info. Indoors, definitely a proper piste ski (close to slalom ski width underfoot and radius) and outdoors nothing wider than a modern piste orientated ski (say <80mm and <17m).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both, she's probably going to do it at Hintertux so I'll look out for something appropriate. Her twin tips (Dynastar She's Trouble) are 112/78/102 (I purposely didn't get anything too wide or soft) so they probably won't be too different. She won't be skiing until the Easter holidays this year so it gives me plenty of time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
head magnums
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, If she can ski to the level......twin tips will be fine, although it might be suggested to her to use 'noramal' skis like everyone else. I passed my grade 3 (in BASI old money) and all of the ISIA modules, apart from the race coach, on Dynastar Trouble Makers!

Saying that, you don't want to be the odd one out on the course sometimes, and for that reason I would second skimottaret in saying Head Magnums. Just make sure she feels comfortable on them first!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IMO something that is piste'y would be best - a good skier can make a higher performance piste ski do anything therefore on the course you are better with a piste ski - need not be top of the range slalom ski or anything though. In my experience many people struggle to get the performance from a twin tip ski... tails washing out, problems tilting the skis over enough. At the end of the day you are not going to be going freestyle or off-piste wise on the L1.

Good luck.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B, I would also think that the Magnum is a good ski for the first few BASI courses at least. Skis everywhere well, easy to ski, fun and forgiving. I have the 2010/11 model in the 163. I really like the ski and can recommend it. Although the only downside for me is it doesn't have the performance I want at L4 for longs. Please feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, the Magnums are expensive aren't they. I don't think I'll be spending that much, she won't get enough use from them and she's also growing still. She's 16 in January and 5'5"/160cm but very slight, I'm sure she'll fill out over the next couple of years and will probably need to change again. I was thinking something about 155cm would be right.

I've seen a couple of good deals which would probably be suitable (any views?). They would have to pass the colour test too though.

Volkl Tigershark 8
The entry-level model in the Tigershark class, but under no circumstances a ski for entry-level skiers! The 8 FEET is cut somewhat narrower than its big brothers, but offers somewhat easier handling in return. All the same, it is a full-fledged mountain race machine with the finest in engineering design. It is also Powered by Titanium - a wood core turning that provides the ski with brilliant chatter control characteristics when moving at high speeds.
Driving skills advanced, ambitious
Core: XTD Woodcore
Technology: Double Power Grip XTD Powered by Titanium
Radius: 15.0 m (168cm)
Sidecut: 116-70-100 (168cm)

Volkl Crosstiger Steel 115-69-100
Powerful premium carver with agile ski flex for highly athletic skiers.
A powerful carver for athletic ski aces with a dynamic skiing style. The new ski owes its name to a band of special spring steel integrated into the ski's structure for increased agility. The Power Grip profile provides effortless but perfect edge pressure. The 3Motion binding system is perfectly tuned to fit the ski. Together, they provide a highly harmonious ski flex to make the carving fun perfect.
• Driving skills: ambitious, professional
• Core: Full Sensor Woodcore
• Technology: Power Grip Powered by Steel
• Binding: 3Motion 11.0 TC
Sidecut: 115-69-100
Radius:
12.4m@154cm
13,8m@161cm
15.2m@168cm
16.8m@175cm
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
or even Crosstiger Carbon
High-performance ski with superior skiing performance for quick carving on the slopes Is speed carving your thing? Here is your ski: the CROSSTIGER CARBON. A powerful, high-performance ski with superior edge grip. Its finely tuned skiing performance comes courtesy of its high-tech construction, with XTD Sensor Woodcore and Double Grip XTD. The wood core contains thin inserts of titanium and carbon to provide an extremely quiet, controlled ride, even on hard, ribbed slopes.
Sidecut: 116-70-101
Radius: 14,8m @ 168cm

all 10/11 models
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, any of those would be suitable.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IMV, just about any ski will do for L1 provided it's not too extreme. I think the tutors are pretty forgiving. They must be - I managed to pass on park skis mounted with touring bindings!

L2 is a different game and I'd suggest that something very piste-orientated (eg GS) combined with stiff boots are required.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got some Storm Inferno's for my BASI L1 following a similiar question. A snowhead pointed me at this ebayer, at prices I just couldn't refuse Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Skiing-/16059/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ssn=conciergeltd&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
I got some Storm Inferno's for my BASI L1

Got the same for Mounta1nGoat to take his L1 on rather than his usual Suspects.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fantastic prices kitenski.

Colin B - the 151 Infernos would probably be superb.
latest report
Thanks I saw those too when they were first posted. I'll talk to her about it and make our mind up.
snow conditions
Just got a pair of Storm Rages from the ebayer kitenski, mentions, ordered late Tues evening, here today, still shrink wrapped and in perfect condition. Just need to get them them over to Ilkeston so Storm can fit some bindings for me! Have some Storm Cyclones as well and they are cracking good skis.
ski holidays
Quote:

L2 is a different game and I'd suggest that something very piste-orientated (eg GS) combined with stiff boots are required.

Only if you're a very strong skier. If you're only just at L2 standard I think you may struggle in stiff boots.
latest report
What bindings have you guys put on those Infernos?
snow conditions
storm branded vist
latest report
anarchicsaltire, Thanks, they must have cost more than the skis! If you got a good deal could you share please.
snow report
Colin B wrote:
anarchicsaltire, Thanks, they must have cost more than the skis! If you got a good deal could you share please.

Skis with bindings fitted £210, sadly the deal is no longer available or I would be tempted to get another pair for myself!
snow conditions
Getting some Storm Vists for the Rages (Storm only just over the hill from me so they are supplying and fitting them) have got some cheapo Tyrolia SL100 on the Cyclones, do the job but nothing special
snow conditions
anarchicsaltire, Thanks, at that price I'd go for that. One of the other deals I'm looking at, with bindings, is probably comparable once bindings, fittings, etc are taken into account. However as she's a 15 year old girl colour will probably be the deciding factor Very Happy
ski holidays
I would agree with rob@rar about a slalom ski and if red is her favourite colour a pair of clapped out 150/155 Salomon 10 3V (yellow race flash best) which can know be picked up with bindings @£50 would be a good choice; they are so versatile anything from very hard piste to top of the boot powder and turn like a top, just right for demos and a ski you can forget about when leading groups, it will do the same thing every time, just what you put into it. Nobody is going to steal it, bases last forever sharpen em up and smile for less than the price of a day ticket in a snowdome near you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy