Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Could whiter salt-seeded clouds increase snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A British professor is proposing a revolutionary method of spraying fine sea mist into the atmosphere to whiten clouds and increase their reflectivity.

Stephen Salter, emeritus professor of engineering design at Edinburgh University, believes that the technique - which would involve small boats pumping the spray skywards to be evaporated, leaving fine salt particles in the clouds - would brighten clouds by 4.5%. This, he believes, would be enough to negate all forecast effects of global warming.

Full details of his theory are in this report in today's Sunday Times. It appears that the science has not been peer-reviewed as yet - his research, which will no doubt be keenly debated, will be published in the next edition of the journal Atmospheric Science

I guess this would be the ultimate irony - salt possibly boosting snow cover. But if the precipitation that falls from the cooled skies contains salt, would it not create rain at temperatures that would normally generate snow?

Scientific comment welcome!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was about to say that it's impossible that the water cuold even contain any salt after evaporation, but then I read the article rolling eyes
I don't quite get how it would boost the amount of snow though. Am I missing something?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I infer from the article that the salting would take place in tropical regions, so clouds over the Alps, Rockies, etc would be salt free. When I saw that the guy behind the scheme was Prof. Salter, I had to have a quick check of the dateline!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, It's a development of an idea first published in 2002 http://www.mech.ed.ac.uk/research/wavepower/rain%20making/shs%20rain%20paper%20Feb.pdf
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy