Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideal midlayer

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm fortunate enough to have a Sidewinder SV Jacket and am now looking for the ideal midlayer to accompany it.

What I have currently is a merino wool mountain hardwear fleece which gets far too wet for my liking and takes a considerable amount of time to dry. Underneath this I generally wear helly hansen branded baselayers but for this season I'm going to get a skins branded top having been impressed with their 3/4 bottoms.

I generally ski Canada early on in the season followed by Europe, so January - March before doing a bit later in the season skiing.

I'm slim and can feel the cold and with my previous setup although impressive once the midlayer got wet it went downhill from there.

I've done a bit of research so far and I'm looking at:

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/clothing---mountain/arc'teryx/233181/men's-strato-jacket

or

http://www.itchyfeet.com/clothing/clothing_mens_22/fleece_softshell_merino41/r1_full_zip.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base

then maybe

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Ski-Snowboard/Hyllus-Jacket#

or the patagonia R2 or R3

Any suggestions most welcome!![/url]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HORT1,
Quote:

once the midlayer got wet it went downhill from there.

Can I ask why your current mid layer is getting wet?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
livetoski wrote:
HORT1,
Quote:

once the midlayer got wet it went downhill from there.

Can I ask why your current mid layer is getting wet?

It's from wicking the sweat from the baselayer but I find the wool takes far too long to dry. Unfortunately I can't find it for sale anymore to be able to show a photo of it and with that said not sure if it makes a difference but I'm not sure it's even merino.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HORT1,
Quote:

It's from wicking the sweat from the baselayer but I find the wool takes far too long to dry

if your base layer is synthetic and not Merino, then I would guess its your base layer that is the problem. I have used a thin merino base layer and only slighlty thicker merino mid layer and have never had a problem.

Also it could be that the Sidewinder jacket is not breathable enough for the varied enviroment you are in.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just about any light to midweight synthetic fleece? Am I missing something - how can it be much more complex than that unless you're some sort of extremo ski mountaineer.

maybe a down/synthetic fill pullover if its really cold?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HORT1, in -20 in Europe I've worn the same jacket with 2 x thin long sleeve merino base layers and one thin Northface 100 weight fleece and was fine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i gave up on merino because it would get soggy like you say and, although it kept its thermal properties, it got heavy and smelled like wet sheep.

I like patagonia R stuff. I have a couple of R1 fleeces and wear both over a thin synthetic base layer if it is very cold, one if it is quite cold and none if it isn't cold at all. the R1 hoody is an awesome bit of kit because the hood is amost like a balaclava if you zip it all the way. you look a bit of a dork with it on under your helmet but it keeps you toasty when you need it

R2 and R3 will be a good bit warmer but if you feel the cold they may be the answer
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some of these:-

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Blue-Harbour-Funnel-Neck-Fleece/dp/B005CD0QCC?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=43509030&sr=1-1&qid=1317048322&pf_rd_r=1HWTZPZH6J90KE8ZYP79&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=43509030&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, kitenski, Arno, Spud9,
Quote:

Am I missing something

Same comment from me really, I usually find if you mix synthetic and merino you get a problem. I Have stuck with only two layers and been fine down below -20 for warmth and then ok at plus 15 on a nice sunny afternoon cruise, OK I am using Ortovox 185 and a 280 which is a pretty expensive way of doing it but it does work being all merino and the Ortovox stuff is pretty difficult to get wet, even in the rain Shocked

I am not an expert on HORT1, s outer layer but the Sidewinder is a pretty heavy 3 layer Gortex outer, I am guessing that its breathability is not that great, whereas the waterproofness is very good. I hope I am corrected on this jacket, tried to find the specs online but with no joy.

I of course will not mind to be corrected on this wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're getting wet you must be sweating a lot which would hint that you're wearing too much.

Less clothing, less sweat, drier top! Easy..........

Merino is all well and good but not that warm for it's weight and a pain when it gets wet. I wear it piste skiing and other lower aerobic activity style pursuits, summer rock climbing etc, as it's nice against the skin and doesn't smell half as bad as some fabrics but as I run quite hot, I tend to wear synthetic tops for touring/walking in to climb in Scotland etc.

As Arno says, the Patagonia R1 Hoody is the daddy of all winter tops. I wear it whatever I'm doing in the winter. I always look fly in it:

DSCF2419
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got a Sidewinder too and wear two thin merino base layers comprising a 150 wt Icebreaker T-shirt with a Smartwool 150wt zip crew on top. I hate getting too hot whilst skiiing so if I get too warm I just open the pit vents and if I get hot I just take off the crew. I find that I can wear less provided I keep my core warm with the wool T. I haven't experieced the "wet wool" thing except when I've tried heavier weight Icebreakers like the 260 and 320 wts. The Sidewinder seems pretty breathable to me provided you match the layers to the conditions and can adapt when things change.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wear very thin merino wool next to the skin - prefer T-shirts as merino wool arms tend to get saggy after a while. This produces a lot less stink than manmade fibres but doesn't hold too much water. Had problems in the past with a wind proof fleece under a shell as wind proof fleeces tend to be less breathable. When touring I prefer a thin windproof outerlayer than a full on waterproof (aka high tech plastic bag) unless conditions are extreme (raining, high winds etc). The SV is a storm jacket, great in extreme conditions but probably overkill for normal conditions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bought one of these (in store) at the weekend. Very good fit and will be going back for the same in different colours. (I use S&R own brand high neck half zip synthetic base layers with a micro fleece midlayer under padded ski jacket and remain bone dry all day)

http://www.millets.co.uk/clothing/mens-clothing/fleece/product/050539/mens-micro-half-zip.html?attribute=167810
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a sidewinder, but gave it to my brother when i got a Sabre. I know the Sabre has a bit of insulation on it, but I don't think it adds up to much. Last season I typically used a phase AR base layer and if I needed more insulation an Atom LT or SV. Whilst the hooded Atoms would be no good for the Sidewinder the standard ones should be fine. My wife has a similar (no hood) Patagonia Primaloft mid layer which she loves. Check them out, they pack to nothing and, let vapour through well and keep you warm when they are wet.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
S&R having an extra 10% off midlayers that are already reduced on their outlet site

http://www.snowandrock.com/wednesday-window/content/fcp-content
ski holidays
snow conditions
I use a microfleece as a mid, and a nice powerdry top underneath (if only because I find even superfine merino itchy Sad ) such as the medium to heavy baselayers by Patagonia (capilene 3, maybe?) or Marmot (I use the long sleeve midweight zip top). Microfleeces are light, warm, highly breathable, quick drying and sufficiently cheap as to be almost expendable. For colder weather I've got things like a Rab Boulder (high loft fleece, again quick drying and highly breathable). The boulder uses the same material as the Patagonia R3 high loft, but at quite a few pennies cheaper. Similarly, the Berghause Smoulder (which I have) or the Rab Baseline (which I don't) make good alternatives to the Patagonia R1... but if you're getting top end Arcteryx shells maybe price isn't your main concern here Smile
snow report
Just an update to this I ended up getting a few baselayers from Patagonia (the highest level of capilene maybe 4?) including the Patagonia R1. This was in addition to having a polartec material arcteryx jacket (atom lt) at hand (rarely used) and then using my sidewinder sv as a shell. I used this combination in Whistler and Fernie including during the early cold weather spells they had come January which included at temperatures of -15 to 25 and had no issues at all. Infact I rarely used the polartec midlayer and effectively skiied almost all days in three layers (base layer, R1 and shell).

The Patagonia clothing I had itself was well worth its money with the wicking abilities of it working together being magnificient. I was never ever sweatty.
snow conditions
That kit may be the gnat's knees in Canada! In Europeland all you'll need are a pair of Damart long-johns and gran's chemise!

Looks like you've been swayed by the price-tags and pretty logos on beautiful things such as ArcTeryx, great quality, yeah.............. but a little more form than function despite what the "blurb" says.

One does not always get what one pays for.

looks good, but for $599 there's much better kit to be found.
snow report
^^ Looks like it's been dropped in a sick dog's diarrhoea...

FWIW, for years I just used normal tshirts and stuff under my shell, but this season treated myself to one of these: http://www.norrona.com/Products/0466-10/narvik-warm3-zip-hood-m (for a lot less than that price, I should add). Have to say it really is excellent, and worth the extra money for the use I get out of it (everyday warm jacket as well as skiing and kayaking). Very nearly as warm as my down jacket, and dries really quickly.
ski holidays
very rarely wear a mid layer but is was -20 and below on my last trip... a merino wool jumper from tesco did the trick for me Very Happy
snow report
theskibob wrote:
looks good, but for $599 there's much better kit to be found.

only mugs pay full retail rolling eyes
snow report
I like stuff made with Malden Mills' PowerStretch:
http://polartec.com/comfort/polartec-power-stretch/
It doesn't say in the blurb but be aware that there are different weights.

It's stretchy so doesn't restrict movement, is very warm, breathes well and dries out very quickly. It's a bit bulky for touring but, other than that, perfect!

Throw on a windshirt made of Pertex and you've an ideal combination. Much better than GoreTex Windstopper that doesn't stretch, breathes badly and stays wet and cold.
snow report
Arno my point exactly.

bragging and blagging about expensive kit, but not having a clue how to use the gear. Seems rather like self-stimulation using your non-dominant hand. Toofy Grin
snow report
theskibob, hadn't realised that midlayers were complicated to use. is there an instruction manual somewhere? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Mons Royale is the future of base layers

http://youtube.com/v/oSNvX0immfo&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.monsroyale.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy