Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soft shell salopettes...

Poster: A snowHead
I tried some on. Sooooo comfy and didn't make my butt look like the size of a small African Republic (when one has a large posterior, bulky padded keks are not a figure enhacing garment). They also look like a more tear-resistant type of fabric to normal salos. They claim to be waterproof and windproof.

So what's the catch? Any reasons why they would not be a suitable substitute for the regular style of salopettes?

They feel very thin to me. As if warmth is not high on the agenda (although I rarely feel cold when skiing).

Opinions please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, are you sure that this isn't the topic you should be on?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79717#1860495&sid=02b8864d451568a42fc69a56dac3e46b

To be fair I used to have a pair as well and they were very comfortable and warm even when wet but it was the peer pressure thing that stopped me wearing them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, the line between soft shell and hard shell can be pretty thin. one thing to look out for is whether the seams are fully sealed - not all soft shell gear is
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My missus and a few of her friends had them last year, no complaints from any of them, even skiing in wet snow on a day in April that turned from rain to snow. As Arno, says though, there are a myriad of products out there called softshell. I'd check the waterproofness before buying...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not over bothered about waterproofness. It's rare I ski in the rain (the bar is a far more attractive proposition in such circumstances), I was just concerned they might not be as warm as normal salopettes.

stevew, I don't mean the neoprene skin tight things. They would look terrible on me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, might seem a personal question but do your misses and her friends wear anything under their soft shell salos? Or do they need leggings or something underneath in order to make them warm enough?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have yet to need a base layer under my soft shell ski pants, either the dirt cheap Aldi ones or the should have been stupid expensives Killy ones which were also dirt cheap when I found them on the skiwear4less clearance rail in the Tamworth shop! If you don't feel the cold normally I think you will probably be fine with just the soft shells on all but the coldest days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davkt, thanks. I need new salopettes anyway and these soft shell ones look far nicer than any I have previously owned.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, well they weren't going commando Wink

My wife only wore hers in March and April, so not that cold and I *don't think* she wore leggings underneath. She and at least one, maybe two friends, had these ones in black:

http://tinyurl.com/3ze6vyu

which appears to be these this season:

http://tinyurl.com/44zvok2
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, thanks. Those are way out of my price range but seem a similar sort of thing to the ones I've found.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, look out for soft shell pants in Aldi, usually around Christmas/New Year time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells, will do, although have found some in local camping superstore for £39.99 which seem to fit the bill.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, My wife got them in the end of season sales, at a good price from gooutdoors....

Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, thanks, that's another place that's worth a visit.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Softshell doesn't really mean anything anymore as manufacturers have started using it as the "in" buzz-word to promote their products.

Whether you'll need insulation underneath your softshell trousers depends on what they are made of. Are they thin/thick/membraned/do they fleece laminated to/lining them?

I’d guess some leggings would be advisable. If you get to hot on the first day you can just not wear them for the rest of the week.
snow conditions
My missus swears by the Crag Hoppers Kiwi Strech

http://www.trekwear.co.uk/s/craghoppers-kiwi-stretch-ladies-trousers/20235/Product.aspx

Uses them for hiking, climbing and ski touring and loves them. I doubt they are much use for seriously cold days though, but for £20 you can't go wrong!
snow conditions
Mine are fantastic 'Elle' from TK for 49.99 four years ago. I have skied down to -27 in Canada (that day I wore leggings underneath). I have not been cold or wet and they seem just as good in warmer weather. I would thoroughly recommend as they are warm and flattering.
ski holidays
I have a pair that I bought last year, as well as a 'softshell' jacket - although really what they mean is 'little or no padding or insulation'

I always wore a thermal layer underneath, but then I have for years anyway. I don't think my upper body would survive without it December to March, but the legs would probably have been OK.

However I doubt I'll be rushing back to buy a more traditional ski outfit - the softshell feels so much lighter, is more flexible, and, dare I say it, more flattering to the physique.
latest report
Waterproof and windproof either means they are "softshell", eg. a stretchy membrane waterproof that's been a victim of marketing but might have taped seams, or they're something like goretex windstopper which is a stretchy membrane almost waterproof which probably won't have taped seams. Either should be fine in light rain, especially if you've got some lightweight synthetic leggings on underneath. Might not wanna sit anywhere wet in them, though. They'll more than likely have a brushed inner surface so you can wear them when it is chilly or you are weaty without getting uncomfortable, but you'll probably want leggings on if its going to be properly cold.

Me, I use the other sort of softshell that doesn't claim to be fully windproof or waterproof, but is stretchy, water repellent and pretty wind resistant. Or other things that tend to get lumped into the softshell category because they aren't goretex wannabes, like paramo gear. Isn't marketing great?

I wouldn't want to use hard-shell waterproof salopettes ever again unless I'm out sailing or something. Everything else is cheaper, non-rustly and generally more comfortable... often cheaper and easier to repair too.
latest report
Thanks for all the advice folks. These are now on my wish list.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy