Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does Tele-Skiing actually improve your Alpine technique

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Whilst skiing at the Hemel fridge the other day I was talking to a bloke, whose name I forget (sorry fella) but who did say he was the leader of the HH Tel-Ski club. He was saying that I should learn to Tele-Ski as it would improve my Alpine technique. Is this the case and if so how does it improve my Alpine skillz.

As a bonus question, as cool as it looks to see a good Tele-Skier do their thang, why don't they just secure their heels ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snakeskin Si wrote:
Whilst skiing at the Hemel fridge the other day I was talking to a bloke, whose name I forget (sorry fella) but who did say he was the leader of the HH Tel-Ski club. He was saying that I should learn to Tele-Ski as it would improve my Alpine technique. Is this the case and if so how does it improve my Alpine skillz.

As a bonus question, as cool as it looks to see a good Tele-Skier do their thang, why don't they just secure their heels ?

Was the bloke Scottish? - if so it was probably Cameron Fisher who organises the HH Tele get togethers. If you do parallel turns on Tele equipment it ensures that you have your weight centred over the middle of the ski, so helpful for your Alpine technique in that regard.

As regards "why don't they just secure their heels?", there is a saying "fix the heels, fix the problem!" wink . Seriously though I prefer Tele equipment because it gives me a wider variety of skiing options. When the slopes are not too steep for me I can try Tele turns, which feels good (and as you say when done well looks good as well) and when the terrain is too steep for me to Tele turn I just use parallel. Plus it's easier getting a move along flat sections using langlauf stride. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snakeskin Si wrote:

It's a bit like asking why snowboarders don't ski - or vice versa. It's not better. Just different *

* I'm clearly lying here. Telemarking is clearly way more cool... wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair Pink that's the fella. I get the point about the centreing your weight. Are there any other aspects that help with Alpine technique ? I like the idea of being able to do some touring but for me it'd just be about finding an untracked bowl or accessing another part of a mountain without having to boot pack. Fixing the heel would probably be my thing. Although I'd love to be able to make some of those fancy turns. What do they call those type of turns ?

FlyingStantoni, Laughing IMHO I think Telemarking is way cooler than boarding, and when done by an expert I think it looks cooler than Alpine skiing (moguls, steep & deep excluded)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
these vid would just be pointless if it were of alpiners, no?

http://youtube.com/v/_RQdbpZ-Nz4

http://www.newschoolers.com/watch/308787.0/RMU_a_day_with_Dylan_Garner_1/20/09?c=11

dunno about it improving your alpine technique, but once the fandan get a load of you on tele, you wont need to go back no-how Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

"fix the heels, fix the problem!"

What's the problem?

Most intermediate alpine skiers don't actively adjust their balance on skis. They lazily rely on the hard boot to hold them up on (sort of) the right spot of the skis. Take away the heel attachment, you'd have to actively balance your body on the center of the skis. Once you learn to do that, moving back to alpine skis, you can be more precise in maintaining balance and control.

I'm not sure tele will automatically help alpine skiing better than finding a top notch alpine instructor. But for someone stuck on an alpine technique plateau, changing it up could have some benefit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But what about inner tip lead I ask ???????
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If we're sharing vids wink

http://youtube.com/v/IP6X1MdP6fg
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barry wrote:
dunno about it improving your alpine technique, but once the fandan get a load of you on tele, you wont need to go back no-how Cool

You've said that so many times Barry that I'm beginning to wonder if there's some truth in it. Is telemarking really the Tom Jones of the AT world & would I need to incorporate windscreen wipers in my goggles to brush away all the flying panties ? Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snakeskin Si, Yes it does (improve your techninque)..

It's great for balance... you also have a really tight feedback loop - i.e. when you do it wrong - you WILL fall. You become much more sensitive to the surface you are skiing on too.

Quote:

I like the idea of being able to do some touring

Use AT kit for touring...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross, you know its true - fair enough it only goes to further prove how little we understand the fair sex, so you just gotta accept it and enjoy it! Cool

(dipping in the turn avoids the scants Laughing )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy