Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Length of rental skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im renting skis when I get to France. Should I go for full length, or should I go shorter. Last season I got my measured size but they seemed massive and were hard to turn so exchanged them for the size down. Has any1 used the mini skis that make u go faster. Not bothered about the speed but are the smaller skis better for turning??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends on the type of skiing you want to do, all on piste, more off piste, etc etc
I think a rule of thumb is your ski length should be at your mid face when placed end up on the floor. But, I'd wait for some concrete advice from someone with better knowledge than me on here!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mainly on piste. In fact all on piste just incase!! Had similar length last year (thn exchanged for slightly small as too long to make good turns...or was that just me??) Seen the pretty smaller skis about 5070cm long that look pretty cool and skiers seem to ski quickly and smoothly with them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jon Ford, it's you. prick_with_sticks's rule is correct for an intermediate piste ski - should be between the end of your nose and your eyes. Get some lessons.

P.S. 50-70cm skis are blades. They are not cool. People who use them are known as gay bladers and shunned by all elements of normal society. You have been warned.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jon Ford, It's definitely your technique that's the problem, lessons will sort you out. Tell us your height and weight and we can give you a ballpark size though.

Btw, 'miniskis' (aka snowblades) don't make you faster, they just make you gayer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ha ha, thanks for the comments Raceplate & Clarky999. Will stay away from the blades then. I was turning OK before I swapped them, just felt a little awkard (ie didnt fall over etc, just felt had to make more effort lifting the ski a little to do harder/deeper turns) As soon as I swapped for measurement down, i felt like I could turn better. (placebo???)
I am 173cm/68"
thanks 4 advice
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wise words about blades there guys!

some 165's should be right for you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jon Ford, you don't weigh much so anything around 160cm should be ok for you to feel comfortable BUT you're not supposed to lift the ski! Get some lessons.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I lift it very slightly (literally 2cm) when parrallel turning-was taught that in Lapland and worked great
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lapland! WTF do they know about proper skiing? They spend all their time looking out for Rudolf and Prancer.

Lifting the inside ski is a shortcut to help people progress to parallel, it is not proper technique. It may seem helpful today but as you get better and progress on to more challenging terrain it will hold you back and destroy your confidence. Learn to pressure the outside (turning) ski correctly and it will become unnecessary to lift the inside ski because it will become natural to slide it in to match the same turn angle as the outside ski. Once you get used to this you will start to genuinely parallel turn as you slide both skis at the same time/angle into the next turn.

Get some lessons from a ski school that explains theory as well as practice so you understand what the outcome of your movements should be and you will progress quickly.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers raceplate, will do
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raceplate, +1
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jon Ford, I am an old lady, 5'5", 10 stone, and find that my 163 skis are fine for me (I have a couple of pairs that length). However, I also find that hire shops in France do tend to put people on skis that are a bit too long for them - I often have to talk them down a bit, when I go in with friends. One of my friends, lighter than I am Embarassed and a pretty inexperienced skier was offered skis the same size as mine but was far, far, happier on 156s. Don't be intimidated into going longer than you're happy with - there's not much point on piste unless you want to go at warp speed. Yes, blades aren't much cop and the ones without proper bindings can be lethal. But, on the other hand, blades are NOT the same thing as short skis. There are some short skis around (not 50 - 70 cms though, more like 110/130 cms) which are pretty good on piste (if you don't want to have a bit of fun and not get any more lessons wink )

This link sets out the Wedze (Decathlon) range of shorter skis for skiers from novice to expert. http://short-ski.wedze.com/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks Pam W. Happy to have ones that match my size/build. Just felt that last year they were a bit too long. Started skiing much better with the next size down. SHould have noted the measurement. WIll ask for around the 160 mark and see what happens - can always exchange them
thanks again
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy