Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short break trip from Munich?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been roped in to help organise a short break for a group of 12 22nd-26th Feb.
We've done resorts from Geneva loads of times so are really keen to go somewhere else, hence the Munich flight.
I've had a look at Soll which looks ideal (good skiing, nice town, few bars, transfer costs cheap on the train) BUT accomodation is proving awkward because it's not Sat - Sat?
The tourist office is kind of helpful, but evey time I follow up one of their leads I get the same response as above!

Does anyone have any options i may have missed in Soll, or any other options?

Thanks for any help.

Joe
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are LOADS of great places to ski near Munich, what exactly are you looking for?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What kind of accommodation are you after? Hotels, B&Bs? I think you might find it is Fasching (a peak holiday week in Austria) that week which will make it more difficult to get accommodation if you are not out for the full Sat to Sat week. I'm sure you'll find somewhere though but it might take a bit more effort to look for this particular time period.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be honest any type accomodation will do, so far we've tried both appartments and some hotels. The large number may be limiting us too, but could always split the group, we're not joined at the hip! Very Happy
Resort wise, all we need is a decent area for 3 days on piste, a few good or even average bars(!) and not too expensive a transfer! Never heard of Fasching, bug I thought we'd managed to avoid holiday periods! Evil or Very Mad

Joe
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
joe1978, Fasching is a big thing in parts of Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Munich in particular. It's a sort of German speaking version of Mardi Gras and culminates on Shrove Tuesday. So expect people dressing up in costumes, masks, dancing and krapfen (doughnuts)...

Next year the key dates are:

Weiberfastnacht Sunday 19 February
Rosenmontag Monday 20 February
Faschingsdienstag Tuesday 21 February
Aschermittwoch Wednesday 22 February

However a lot of people will be taking holidays during that week.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 24-10-11 20:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
joe1978, Fasching is the German name for Mardi Gras and carnival. Bavaria, Saarland and Baden-Wurtemburg are all on holiday and it is high season in Switzerland, Austria and Germany.

Your best bet is to try Soll or maybe Scheffau and look at B&B rather than hotels. Use something like booking.com and see what is even vaguely possible.

Just as an aside, height is not every thing, Sochi where they are staging the next Winter Olympics is at sea level. The point being, the further east you go, the lower the altitude required for snow to lie all winter. As a rough guide, if you add 300m to the height of each place in western and central Austria and you can compare that "height" with those of the French resorts. So resort A in France is considered snow sure because it lies at 1100m and goes up to 2000+. Comparing it against Resort B in Austria that has heights of between 800 and 1800m, add the 300m to accommodate the movement eastwards away from the moderating influences of the Atlantic and Gulf Stream and you have equivalent, if not slightly better chances of having snow.

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you looking to ski on Sunday 26th? If not, on the 25th you could transfer away from the ski resort for the night, and that might make it easier to find somewhere that will take you for 22nd-24th. For example, Kufstein is near to Soll and has a few decent places to stay.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like clarky999 said, there are lots of resorts not far from Munich. Even with a big group I'd have thought you'd find something in the Zillertal/Tux valley which is doable by train transfer.

http://www.zillertal.at/en/winter/home/
http://www.tux.at/en/info/home.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
joe1978, Try looking at Stubaital - the villages there are linked to a variety of skiing including the Stubai Glacier. Public transport is very easy from Innsbruck and Innsbruck is very easy to reach by train from Munich. Innsbruck has a lively club scene for après ski as well as a surplus of accommodation in all price categories. It might be a better bet for your group for long weekend in what is high season in the actual resorts.

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
joe1978, Have you tried www.tiscover.com ? They often have some accomodation available for non Sat to Sat dates.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink, at this stage of the season, few hotels and Gasthofs in the resorts will risk losing possible whole weeks. They may show as having capacity but as a lot of people will wait to see what the season looks like before confirming or making a booking for the whole week. I mean by that Germans, Austrians Scandinavians, Czechs, Slovakinas, Polish etc, who drive to the resorts. Fasching is a major half term holiday here in Germany in all the catholic Bundesländer as well as some of the surrounding countries.

Better to look at towns outside the main resorts and then use the plentiful and cheap public transport to get to the slopes. Kufstein for example for the Ski Welt, Innsbruck for the resorts around there in Stubaital, Öztbahnhof for the Öztal areas etc! Unless of course they are prepared to wait until closer to the date, but getting places for 12 could be a wee bit difficult last minute.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try alpenrider hostel in Kirchberg, they'll even pick you up from Munich. They are on the web and it provides easy access to kitzbuhel.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
joe1978, try www.booking.com - tap in, say, kitzbuhel and set the radius of search from there (up to 62 miles). You'll find stuff bookable in ski areas there and then. A lot of it at the pricier end though but still... it's bookable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks alot for all that info! German Mardi Gras sounds fun!!

Looks like I've got a wee bit of work cut out for myself.

Thanks loads again for all the help!

Joe
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
joe1978, also, Google up a company called Alphome in Kirchberg - apartment rentals. I found them v helpful.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy