Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort help please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

It's that time again when I can think of nothing else than getting on the slopes Very Happy and I would like to get something booked fairly soon for mid January next year.

Due to the deals I've found in the past I've only really skied in France: Les Arcs, La Plagne, Montgenervre, Vars and Serre Che. All of which I have enjoyed immensely but I really want to try Austria now.... The problem is that all the top, snow sure resorts are out of my budget and I am hesitant to 'risk it' on a cheaper, low lying resort like Soll for example.

Anyway, I appreciate it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string question' but does anyone have any recommendations or resort advice that may help me find something good and fairly snow sure that won't break the bank.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not have a look at Mayrhofen, cheap enough, "apres", linked to a lot of resorts up and down the Ziller valley, with regular trains/busses included on your lift pass. Glacier at Hintertux will be as snowsure as anywhere.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mid January is low season so you should get some good deals on catered chalets in St. Anton for instance. If you've got the nerve hold on till late Dec or even early Jan for late offers, they are always available, especially in a place like St. Anton which is served by quite a few chalet operators. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice. I'm really torn between booking soon and waiting for till last minute as we once missed out on flights for our chosen week and had to postpone our holiday. On the other hand you may be right about those St Anton deals.

In the past we have had the advantage of easy slope access, sometimes ski in ski out and I like this convenience. I guess Mayrhofen won't offer this but I assume the transport system is fairly good? Any other recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless it is an exceptional winter, any ski resort in Austria will offer skiing in January. I've lived around here for 30+ years and have skied every January and expect to do so next January too (probably also in Söll). The conditions may be better in some years than others but there is always skiing (particularly nowadays with plenty of artificial snow-making). As well as the Zillertal, Zell am See is another resort with the Kitzsteinhorn glacier (Kaprun) as a back-up if you're really worried about the snow. Similarly in the Stubaital or Ötztal. It is true that the lifts are often on the outskirts or outside of Austrian villages but you can find ski-in/ski-out accomodation if you look around (often more expensive, of course), e.g. at the Trend Alpine Resort in Fieberbrunn (just to plug my local area Smile ).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 25-09-11 9:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No one mentioned it yet but look at the ski amade area, includes resorts like Flachau, Zauchansee, Wagrain, the Gasteins, Schladming, Radstadt, Mulbach, plus loads more, these cover a very wide area. Typically valleys are 750m + with most skiing topping out around 2000m, some higher spots. Don't let the altitude put you off, really is a good snow record, backed by very extensive snow making. It snowed to the valleys (is that the correct plural?) only last week, for a one day taster. Typically get large decent beers for around 3.20 - 3.50euros, a main meal from 8euros, soups (cheap on mountain snacks) around 4euros. Most resorts within 1 hour drive of Salzburg or 2.5 - 3hours from Munich.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's great, thanks very much. I will have a look into all that's been suggested.... It's so handy having a forum where you can get honest information from people with actual experience as opposed to the usual brochure spiel.... Cheers!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
orangekss, another +1 for waynos' recommendation for Ski Amade. There's plenty of choice that's for sure!! snowHead

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
orangekss, Mayrhofen's transport system is very good.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy