Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Board of Management election 2011 - Standing for BASI Secretary

Poster: A snowHead
Voting is now open for this year's BASI Board of Management. I'm standing for the position of BASI Secretary and this is a slightly longer version of the supporting statement I submitted to BASI.
Quote:
Rob Rees - Standing for the position of BASI Secretary

I believe it is important for all BASI members to make a contribution to their association in some way. I believe I have the right experience and skills to support the work of the Board of Directors, and I hope I can help the association build on the many positive changes that have taken place in recent years.

I have been a member of BASI since 2007 and I am currently working towards my BASI Level 3/ISIA qualification. I teach part-time at The Snow Centre in Hemel Hempstead all year round, and for a number of weeks in the Alps during the winter. I consider it a privilege to be able to teach skiing and I'm grateful that BASI has provided me with an opportunity to do this.

Away from skiing I have extensive experience in the world of education, in both policy and management positions. I have worked at a senior level in not-for-profit organisations including universities and charities, often supporting the work of committees elected by members. These include the House of Commons, the Royal Society and Warwick and Middlesex universities. I have been elected to several advisory committees and boards of management, including previously having served as a Director of a not-for-profit organisation with a very similar structure to BASI. I have a clear understanding of the role of a management board, especially in terms of representing its members, setting strategic aims and ensuring the financial probity of the organisation.

In addition to fulfilling the specific duties of BASI Secretary I hope to be able to make a contribution to the work of the Board of Directors. I believe it is important that the experience of all members of the association is drawn upon, including full-time and part-time instructors. This will ensure the work of the association goes from strength to strength and that employment and training opportunities for all members are enhanced. I hope you will entrust me with your vote.

Rob Rees, September 2011

I've created a Facebook page for anyone who wants to post questions, comments, abuse, etc, but obviously I'm happy to answer any questions here that BASI members have about my suitability for doing the job of BASI Secretary.

If you are a current BASI member you are entitled to vote in this election. Voting is now open, and I believe will be available until the date of the AGM (5th November, at Tamworth Snowdome). Voting is done by post (ballot form is available in the current annual report, available from your member's section of the BASI website) or online at this link. To login you will need your membership number and usual online password for BASI's website. To vote select the candidates you wish then click the button towards the top of the page to record your preferences.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My votes are cast

As an aside i was pretty appalled that the last election for Alpine director was won with IIRC less than a 100 votes, an apathetic turn out for such an important position come on snowHead BASIOD's let your voices be heard
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, There seems to be a problem with the voting page. In my browser (Firefox) the radio button defaults to "Shona Tate" and I'm unable to select the other options Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
looks like they have taken down online voting to sort problem. Will go back on Monday to cast my votes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndAnotherThing.., kevinrhead, I spoke to the BASI office earlier today and they were aware of some sort of glitch and were looking at it urgently. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just heard from BASI and they have taken the voting down temporarily, probably until early next week to give them time to fix a glitch which seems to affect some but not all web browsers. Anyone who voted electronically today will have their votes verified to make sure that today's glitch didn't affect their vote. There's plenty of time until voting closes, so this delay isn't a big deal.

For those who want to vote in a more traditional fashion there is a ballot paper in the annual report which can be downloaded from the Members Area on the BASI website, and that can be returned by post, fax or email (if you scan it and return as an attachment).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of my friends tried to vote for Rob (can't think why wink) and had the same problem as AndAnotherThing... He was using Firefox on Mac. When he tried Safari instead, no problem. I had no prob with Chrome on XP. First time I've ever voted for a Welshman.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Statement from BASI re the online voting issue:

“Given the browser difficulties some Members have experienced today (Friday 23rd Sept) using the online voting link, we have removed it from the web site to work on resolving the issue over the weekend. Members will be notified by email when the online voting link is back up. In the meantime, Members who wish to vote can complete the voting forms that are contained within the 2011 Annual Report and post, fax or email back to the BASI Office.

For the avoidance of doubt, any Member who has already registered an online vote today will be contacted early next week directly by the BASI Membership department to confirm their registered online vote. Apologies for any inconvenience.”
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I voted and was contacted by BASI to verify my online vote, all confirmed. Go for it Rob.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman, thanks, much appreciated Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All ok by me when I voted yesterday so seems to work now. Good luck Rob Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman +1.

Go for it rob@rar snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just a quick reminder for any BASI members who haven't yet voted: you have until the AGM (which is on 5 November at Tamworth Snowdome) to submit your vote. You can vote online by clicking here, or by more traditional ballot paper which you can download as part of the annual report from BASI's website. It would be good to have a decent turnout in this election, even if you don't want to vote for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am neither for nor against either candidate, I just thought that democracy would be best served by hearing from them both.
Hope you agree.

shona wrote:

Shone Tate - Standing for the position of BASI Secretary

I firstly want to thank you the Members, for your support over my years in serving as Secretary to the Board of Directors. I hope you will give me the opportunity to fulfil another year in office.

The Board have a challenging and rewarding role.

BASI's Board is made up of volunteers from the Membership with the relevant business experience and voted in by the Members. The Board forms and monitors the strategy as well as the budget. The Chairman is the head of the Board but follows out the decisions and direction given by the Board of Directors. The Chairman works closely with the CEO in ensuring that the Management follows its strategic direction with financial stability. This is challenged by changing climate, market demand, economy and international regulations. The Board takes all of this into consideration when making its decisions and has been very successful in responding to any such changes. The CEO in turn manages the Association through the Senior Management Team who are all full time employees of the Association.

Several times a year we have General Meetings and Forums, the Secretary’s role is to arrange, prepare and minute all meetings. The Secretary does not have a vote but must ensure that the Board follows the Articles of Association, their legal requirements as well as deal with notices and paperwork around all votes within the Board and the wider association.

BASI is now about to enter its 50th anniversary role, a very exciting time which also coincides with the anniversary of Cairn Gorm. Having been brought up watching and being involved personally in the development of skiing and BASI since the early 70s I very much hope to be able to remain as Secretary into this 50th year to be part of the team that takes the Association into the next 50 years!

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the General Meeting.
Shona

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne wrote:
Hope you agree.
Yes, absolutely. I was tempted to post Shona's info myself as she's not a snowHead, but I eventually decided that was just a bit too weird.
snow report
Online voting still works wink
snow report
rob@rar, I'm not a member but good luck. Would be a lot of work to do that job properly, I guess?
snow conditions
Long way to Scottie land from HH Rob, I have always thought that BASI should move to Dover to be handy for the work and pick up test skis. You have my vote Rob.
snow report
anarchicsaltire, Cynic, thanks for the votes, and pam w, thanks for the good wishes.

BASI Board meets all over the places (most members based in the France I believe), but I'm close to Heathrow so I guess I'll cope if elected.
snow report
voted wink
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
BASI Board meets all over the places (most members based in the France I believe), but I'm close to Heathrow so I guess I'll cope if elected.

See you in Grantown/Aviemore wink
ski holidays
Just a quick reminder that voting for this year's Board of Management election closes at 4pm on Thursday 3 November. You can vote online at http://www.basi.org.uk/content/vote-basi-general-meeting-5th-november-2011.aspx
latest report
Congratulations to Shona who was elected BASI Secretary with 159 votes against the 119 cast in my favour. Thank you very much to everyone who voted, and especially those people who voted for me. I'm pleased that it was quite a close result as I'm relatively new to the BASI world, so I think I will probably stand again as I am keen to make a contribution. So, until next year...
snow conditions
Gweneth Paltrow right that for you?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing You should have seen the thank you speech I had prepared. It had tears and everything wink
ski holidays
....always a next time Rob.... well done it was pretty close. As you say congratulations to Shona. Onwards and upwards in all senses of the word!
snow report
rob@rar, well done for garnering that many votes!
snow conditions
Well done Rob, just sorry you didn't win but good to hear you'll try again!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica wrote:
rob@rar, well done for garnering that many votes!

Agreed! snowHead
snow conditions
Good to see you today Rob, good on you for standing.

PSG
snow report
Well done to Shona, sorry it didn't work out Rob, just out of interest any idea of the turnout for previous BASI elections?
snow report
rob@rar, Well done, that's a great result from a standing start, good luck for next year.

Less than 300 total votes is pretty shocking though, considering how many members, is that normal? Puzzled
snow report
Good effort rob@rar. Next year... Happy
ski holidays
rob@rar, well done and bad luck!
latest report
With any luck Rob will stand again next year.

Maybe the lack of votes shows how distant the membership is from the board?

Edited: so it read in English and made sense rolling eyes

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 6-11-11 14:38; edited 2 times in total
latest report
slikedges, Spyderman, although the votes cast were only a small fraction of the total membership (approx 6,500) it was apparently a higher number than would normally be expected.
snow report
rob@rar, not surprised in the least!
latest report
From memory the last election for Alpine director was won with something like 80 votes so i think you managed to get some debate stirred and more members interested in voting so a good result there. Better luck next time!!
snow conditions
rob@rar, Unlucky. Be sure to give it a go again next time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy