Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

experienced skiier with trip planning newbieism

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there one and all,

I'm stuck. I've been charged with the mission of booking a trip for eight people on a mixed budget, mixed ability, mixed interest, holiday. Three couples, two lonely hearts of the opposite sex.

Other complications is that it must be a catered chalet, and as there's always one that won't muck in with others at the lowest common denominator's budget, somewhere not too scabby.

A couple of questions, if you wouldn't mind?

1/ Any recommendations? PLEASE?

2/ So the chalet would need three doubles, but the two singles - do they kip by themselves in lonely rooms, or what's the plan? Obviously they might just have to get over their incompatibilities and get it on for the greater good.

3/ What's the best way to book these things? Crystal Ski, or is there somebody I can email to do it all for me for a fee?

Much, much, appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
May I suggest the birthday bash would be a good starting point - your singles will get roomies, the other points should all be covered...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rubberbullet wrote:
mixed budget, mixed ability, mixed interest, holiday. !

Delegate or run a mile!

Chalet packages are very hard to find single rooms in so you'll need to persuade the singles that they should share a twin for the greater good or you're looking at hotels.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Key questions: When? What's the budget?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All fair points. I wish I could run a mile. Or UCPA it. That would be ideal.

It's around the end of January, budget of around 600-1000 per head, for the LOT, excluding any lessons.

So basically, anyone got the moon on a stick?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rubberbullet, I've planned trips for groups of friends as mixed as yours for the last 4 or 5 years.

I always start with Iglu ski and search out a few alternatives, e-mail it all to them and ask them to say which they prefer and why. You'll get an idea of who wants what from the replies you get, then go find the best fit for all of the comments you get back (and of course what you want)

In the end you have the power, you can choose what looks best and they'll just have to go along with it. Don't freak out, skiing/boarding is amazing wherever you go.

If they ask you to do it again next year then you've done a decent job snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rubberbullet, Hi, I also do this every year, very mixed group. Agree with fastandicy, Igluski are good, and sometimes work out cheaper than direct with the TOs as they will discount to get the deal.

Although this is only the first year I have used them, so cannot recommend, I would have a look at Ski Basics. http://www.skibasics.co.uk/

They have a range of chalets in Meribel centre and Meribel village, I believe they have some flexibility with singles. All are fully catered, and fit your budget (we are taking Eurostar from St Pancras direct, but cheap flights too). Meribel (Or and 3V), would be good for a mixed ability group simply due to the size - three valleys is the biggest ski area in the world (I think and now hope, someone will soon put me right if not wink )

Also check out other big resorts like Val/ Tignes. Val in particular has a huge amount of catered chalets, many well priced and Val is a fantastic town, the skiing amazing.

Its not exactly easy to arrange this type of holiday, but nowhere near as hard as some make out. Good luck.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rubberbullet wrote:

It's around the end of January, budget of around 600-1000 per head, for the LOT, excluding any lessons.

So basically, anyone got the moon on a stick?

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous post

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=77487

although this year it's early february, sorry
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When Crystal had their 2 for 1 lift pass deals on offer I couldn't get near them with anyone else on a catered chalet. That deals finished now but they still have it in Swiss resorts-maybe the cost would be bearable in a CC? You need to get your 2 singles to suck it up and share a room. There are places with single rooms but I can almost guarantee that it will be in a shared chalet so don't know if that will appeal? As a rule I don't mind shared occupancy if it's a lads trip but not so much just me and the other half as you don't know who you could be getting put with. (although I've never had a negative experience that's put me off).

I'd book up ASAP.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

You need to get your 2 singles to suck it up and share a room

it's a bit much to expect people of the opposite sex to share a room unless they're an item.

I don't understand the aversion to "shared chalets". Do you demand a private hotel just for yourselves, too? Provided you have your own bathroom you don't have to have more to do with the other guests than you want (though in the days when we did chalets - always with shared bathrooms, actually - we always found the other guests amenable.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, I didn't say anything about demanding a private hotel and to compare a shared chalet to a hotel is a little naive IMO. I've stayed in chalets which have been mixed or soul occupancy for the group I was travelling with. Just in different circumstances I choose what suits best so from that I don't see how you've got to the 'aversion' to shared chalets.

As others have said the OP may struggle to get exactly what his group is after without some compromise.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd send an e-mail to Iglu and see whether you can find a small chalet that has a couple of single rooms. Such things do exist.

Your budget isn't unrealistic, so ping them an e-mail with what you want and they should be able to find something. Your singles may end up with a single supplement if they can't find somewhere with single rooms though (unless you just split the total cost across everyone)

Only just found this, but it looks like a brilliant way to find chalets and hotels that can cater for your singles at minimum extra cost: http://www.igluski.com/single-rooms - from that list Austria looks to have the largest number of potential hotels/chalets.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rubberbullet, single people are not 'lonely hearts', nor are they an inconvenience that need to be lumped into room shares with unsuitable people. My group of ski buddies also numbers 8 with 3 couples and 2 singles. We have found plenty of options for hotels with at least two single rooms. Our trips are further complicated by transport issues. But we manage. The right accommodation is out there, you just have to do a bit of digging.

There do seem to be more hotels with single rooms in Austria and Italy from what we have discovered. However, we still haven't given up on an ambition of going to Serre Chevalier at some point.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi rubberbullet,

I don't know if it helps but we have some single rooms in Chalet Campanules and we don't make a supplement for them - so that might solve one problem? The web link is in my tag line.

If you are travelling from different places, or everyone is on different budgets just say "4pm Geneva - don't be late" and let them choose BA or easyjet for themselves. Then everyone can jump onto the same transfer to and from resort which helps keep costs down.

£1000 all in is very do-able in January or March but £600 takes you to the bottom end of the scale. You should budget a min of £200 for return flights and transfers and £200 for liftpass and ski hire. Maybe try for somewhere in the middle?

Hope that helps - happy planning!
Heather
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
one thing we found useful when doing something similar for a group of 12, is to try to all meet up (pub or for dinner or something) prior to going to confirm that everyone knows whats going to happen, everyone knows everyone else if you've got friends and friends of friends going etc. It gets a good group feeling going, plus you can get an idea who's going to be organised in your group and who's not. wink
latest report
Another point, a massive spreadsheet is your friend, document EVERYTHING so people know exactly what the owe you and for what, and what you've arranged for them and what they have to do themselves. And make sure you've got contact details for everyone (email, phone and address) AND their passport numbers and the names that appear on their passports (fell foul of THAT one!)
snow report
Get deposits off everyone before booking! This helps to concentrate the mind and makes sure you do not get stung. On the singles thing - let them know the rough cost of single supplements and just ask them if they would be comfortable or not sharing, some people are, some people aren't.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy