Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daily Mail unveils plans for 2005 Ski Show

Poster: A snowHead
The major consumer ski show of the autumn will be at Grand Hall, Olympia, London from 12 to 16 October.

Planned content of the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard Show is in these reports from Natives.co.uk and ifyouski.com

Quote:
The centrepiece of the show will be The Live Action Arena; the UK's largest purpose built slope constructed from over 10 tonnes of real snow. The slope will play host to more talent than ever before with nail biting competitions and daily showcases featuring some of the world's best skiers and boarders, who will be pulling breathtaking tricks and catching some serious air!

Do you regularly go to the Daily Mail show? Planning to go this year?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I might go this year as it coincides with the DHO AGM which is also in London so I'll probably stay overnight in London of the Friday
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm still holding out hope for a Southampton ski show Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
been once, last year, not alot there IMHO, won't be going again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, it's not going to happen, after last years show I'm not surprised either, I'd guess that there were only 4 or perhaps 5 ski shops represented, the majority of the rest of the stands seemed to be representing either fairly small tour opperators or individual resorts, the exceptions being a stand from Natives, a couple of stands selling sunglasses and the skiers edge stand, compared to a few years ago it was really very disapointing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll be going though the show can be a little disappointing content wise. It tends to serve as a convenient excuse to meet up with some friends and talk skiing with a few beers and dinner added on for good measure. I'm trying to persuade them to aim for the Friday this year as I work 5 mins away from Olympia, but I suspect that the Sunday is the more likely option.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski Shows are ok, probably not really worth the money but great for catching up with friends and getting new gear.

Oh dear, I followed one of those links and ended up in this abuse chatroom, it was awful! I'm glad I've registered here and not over there they are so nasty to each other, snowheads seems very friendly. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parallel_universe, welcome, just wait until you know us better. Now is there any particular form of abuse you'd like.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parallel_universe wrote:

Oh dear, I followed one of those links and ended up in this abuse chatroom, it was awful! I'm glad I've registered here and not over there they are so nasty to each other, snowheads seems very friendly. Smile

Ski Club chatroom still open then Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parallel_universe, welcome to snowHead's

boredsurfin, Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We always say we're not going to the ski shows and then by the time October comes around we're so snow-starved that we end up going - and then swearing we won't go to next year's one. How do we get conned into buying a ticket so that shops & TOs can sell us their wares??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will probably go to the Birmingham one - but as I'm usually on a stand there I don't recall ever having paid to get into it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For those that know that there is life north of Watford Gap, the Northern Ski and Snowboard Show is on at G-Mex on the 29th and 30th October.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter B, good point!

Any other ski show dates and places? When is Birmingham? Where is Birmingham? (just kidding!)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Birmingham NEC - 21st to 23rd October- The British Ski and Snowboard Show.

You can tell it's a quiet afternoon!
snow report
OK, so this is when the circus comes to town:

London: 12-16 October
Birmingham: 21-23 October
Manchester: 29-30 October
Wrexham: One day, one day

How about Glasgow? Anything doing up there this autumn? (he enquires, lazily)
snow conditions
London ski show used to be brilliant. Almost everyone you knew used to fetch up there - it was like a ski-pro get together. then it got more and more "touristy" with less and less deals, and fewer temp jobs, and moved to Olympia ............ Now I think every year about going, suggest to my mate in Cardiff that we go together, then we decide that the cost of train to London and entry is much too much for what you get!!! Sad Sad
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
OK, so this is when the circus comes to town:

London: 12-16 October
Birmingham: 21-23 October
Manchester: 29-30 October
Wrexham: One day, one day

How about Glasgow? Anything doing up there this autumn? (he enquires, lazily)

I could try and build a ramp, cover it with crushed ice and try and ski down it. I have some wonderful memorabilia to show, such as a pair of salomon Force 9 Rear Entry Ski Boots, Circa 1991 and a Tenson all in one ski suit.

What else do you think I would need to put the first "Wrexham Ski and Snowboard Show" on the map?

BTW, They started building an artificial slope there about 10 years ago but it never got finished. It was to be run by the same people who run Ski Llandudno - John Nike Ltd I think. We could just build a big shed over the slope, put in some severe air con and we could have another indoor snow slope. Razz

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 12-08-05 15:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Peter B wrote:
We could just build a big shed over the slope, put in some severe air con and we could have another indoor snow slope. Razz

As far as I know, those are the actual plans for Hemel!
ski holidays
easiski, did you ever go to the very first Daily Mail Ski Show at the Royal Horticultural Society Hall near Victoria? It must have been around 1970. Sir David English, the revered late editor of the Daily Mail was the driving force, but the brains behind the show reaching a pinnacle of showmanship (at Earls Court) was another guy whose name escapes me. Anslow?

From memory, the show transferred to Olympia quite quickly, then had no problem taking over Earls Court. Once the (spectacular) showbiz calmed down the public were less keen to go and the trade support weakened - hence the move back to Olympia. The challenge of a ski show is to make the activity look even half as exciting as the real thing - if you go to a car show, boat show, dog show, bike show, computer show I guess there's more inherent interest in the hardware itself. Skiers are a bit less obsessive about the equipment and more interested in the places it's used, and the ways it's used.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy