Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada! but where and when?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having only ever boarded in europe me and my skibuddies are looking further afield this season and it looks like I've got the organisers jacket on.

Between 5 and 10 of us, all in our 30's, various levels but all able to get down the hill fairly comfortably. Mostly boarders with at least 1 double planker and maybe more.

Side country will hopefully feature quite a lot with maybe a day or two of catskiing if possible.

I'm guessing Japan (Niseko) would be too expensive for some of us and that somewhere in Canada would be more suitable?

Nice bars and nice food are important but a rocking après scene is not a requirement. Quiet pistes = good, lift queues = bad.

I know there is a glut of similar threads right now but I dont know who better to ask than the snowHead s

Thanks for any input.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Length of visit?

See previous threads - You're almost always going to be better doing some sort of road trip around a few resorts. Google powder highway; any of those resorts will give you a good trip; Feb better than Jan for steeper terrain being open.

Beware side country in BC - it can occasionally bite rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
or worse whatever happened to that Quebecois idiot who got his wife killed at KH then shut down BC SAR with his lawsuit?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sweaman2 wrote:
Length of visit?

To be negotiated but 2 weeks max, if available 10 days to stop our significant others complaining too much - "So you want to go to Canada with your mates but Bulgaria is just perfect for taking me? Eh?"
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow Hound wrote:
Eh?"

Sounds like she'd pick up the local idiom quickly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sweaman2 wrote:
Google powder highway

I did just that and boy am I juiced!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big White, Fernie, Whistler/Blackcomb are few places great for skiing and snowboarding in BC. As for lodging options there are ski-in/ski out lodges that give you easy access to lift and ski slopes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow Hound

Minimum ten days, two weeks or more is better. As is late Feb into March, but most of this has been said a dozen times or more recently. If you want what you want, a road trip would do it, if you need to come in on more of a budget a late TO deal will get you out there for two weeks from as little as £400, plus pass. If so FAR might be a good choice, as the cat skiing is next door.

Last three weeks, loads more if you dig around:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79514

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79376

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79185
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having done a little reading around after your pointers I was already leaning towards Fernie - the place looks amazing. Booking now would cost around the grand mark. A late deal would be cheaper but also more risky especially when time off work has to be booked. How confident should I be of getting a late TO deal? Also I gather mid Feb is to be avoided - what dates exactly?

*Edit* Sorry looked and Pesidents day is 3rd Monday of Feb so 20th this year - how does this U.S celebration affect Canada though? Does the place get flooded with partying Yanks?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monday February 20th 2012 is Family day so a popular long weekend - If you can I would avoid being out then.

It's just me but I would caution against planning on spending 10 whole days in one resort in Canada. If you can make sure you have a car and can then run a couple of day trips to other resorts if conditions look better a valley over... or when FAR closes due to avalanche risk (both have been known to happen)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Family day is monday 20th of Feb; its an Albertan holiday. We have done family day at Fernie and it was fine, queue wise. By the monday queues had gone entirely

If you are fussy about accomodation you need to book in advance for Family Day weekend (actually for a few of you, even if you are not fussy)

Fernie could be coupled with a day in Castle, a day or two at Kimberley (not my fave) or a couple of awesome days in Whitefish (fab and cheap)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wouldn't sweat too much about avoiding the holidays, they are pretty much like an average day in the alps, crowd wise, most places. And as gryphea says, they're gone by Monday.

As regards bagging a late TO deal, it depends on the size of the group more than anything else. These days I only book last minute. You will probably get the entire trip, and pass, booking late, for what you will pay for the trip alone booking now, IME. It's a bottle thing. Booking at this time of year, IMO, is the worst thing you can do, cost wise. But if you've a large group, with specific requirements, you might not have any choice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy