Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help! Avoriaz or La Plagne for first time family skiiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there
We are two families of four (4 adults, 4 boys aged 7-10 years) skiing for the first time in France. We have to go in the first week of the Easter holidays and our search has narrowed down to a few places in Avoriaz or La Plagne area.
Can anyone tell me which would be best, from the point of view of 'extreme ease' for the kids, ski schools, ski in/out, lots of nearby slopes for beginners etc? Basically we're going on the assumption that if the kids are happy we will be happy! We have been warned that Avoriaz is not pretty but I understand it is quite an 'easy' resort. La Plagne keeps coming up in the searches as being a good all round high resort, and there seem to be some lovely looking apartments available through Erna Low.
I guess the other thing we need to think about is ease of getting there by car.
Is there anything else we should know?
Please help us to make this decision - it's so hard knowing when we've never been there ourselves!
Thank you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Plagne could be excellent but is made up of 11 seperate interconnected 'villages' which village are you looking at?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ok - we are looking at one place called les granges du soleil, plagne soleil. the other place we have is called chalet les montagnettes in belle plagne. there's also a place called l'oree des cimes in peisey vallandry (paradiski).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having been to both I personally would choose Belle Plagne in the Apt Nereides or Constellations. Both are v. near ski school, ski/out, more snowsure, close to the supermarkets, there is underground parking right beneath the apts. La Plagne is huge
Avoriaz has a car park 2-300m away from most of the accommodation so you have to get a sledge to hump all your gear and can be very slushy by Easter. We found there were more bottle necks in Avoriaz as well.
I've been to La Plagne maybe 6 times now. It's a great series of villages and if I could only choose one area to ski for the rest of my life that would be it. (I've still not skied all the runs)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I've been to La Plagne maybe 6 times now. It's a great series of villages and if I could only choose one area to ski for the rest of my life that would be it. (I've still not skied all the runs)

I'm trying to ski them all but after 6 years still haven't manage to ski everything Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd go for La Plagne, too. The Montagnettes place in Belle Plagne is certainly well located - I looked at it years ago, when we were staying in the (much less convenient) Plagne 1800. Would have booked our next holiday there, if we hadn't bought our own place. Easter is fairly late, and if the weather has been a bit warm, people from lower parts of the PdS could be invading Avoriaz by then. I've not driven to either, but they shouldn't pose any particular problems - the usual caveats about snow chains apply!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Plagne is a great ski area it just has masses of pisted runs to suit everyone. If you want to dable in a bit of off piste it's very easy just to leave the piste and get back on in many places. I went in January this year and it hadn't snowed for a while but the majority of runs were in really good nick, even had some awesome off piste. It's high altitude to so more snow sure. We stayed in 1800 where the majority of chalets are, it was fine for the majority of our group but the run down from the centre was a very icy red (now black I believe) and a blue that had very poor cover. The bus service is very good that connects the individual villages, I didn't use the ski schools but some did and had no complaints, used a guide from Oxygen and they were very good-even gto a day for free on the guides day off! Plenty of kiddies around doing lessons.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lewiscambridge, I would choose Belle Plagne over Plagne Soleil or Peisey Vallandry (Les Arcs) if you are complete beginners. There are quite a few easy slopes in that area to help build your confidence, it also has a lot of easier runs or routes that lead back to Belle Plagne as you progress during the week.
Because of it's location it can become busy with people passing through (especially the run down to Plagne Bellecote), but the first week of Easter shouldn't be that bad, the French don't start their holidays until 7th April.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi lewiscambridge,

Sounds like the short list is a good choice which matches what you're looking for pretty well. I'd definitely join the others in recommending La Plagne - but then I'm biases as that's where we're based!

Both Plagne Soleil and Belle Plagne are really well placed for Easter skiing and are mostly ski-in ski-out so great with kids. Belle Plagne has a little more in terms of restaurants etc plus a bowling but both are well linked by bus to the other villages. If I was you I'd narrow it down to these two options and then show the kids and let them pick!

I've never driven to Avoriaz but the La Plagne drive is pretty straight forwards. You go most of the way on easy motorway toll roads from the Uk which change to well maintained two lane roads until you reach Aime in the valley. After this the mountain road takes about 40minutes, is well signposted and well maintained with plenty of spots to stop for snow chains if you need them. There is good parking in both Belle Plagne (underground - paid) and Plagne Soleil (open air - free I think??).

Have a great holiday!
Heather
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lewiscambridge, If you decide on La Plagne be sure to check out http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/index_ENG.html for loads of information.
Also take an on line helicopter tour of most of La Plagne here
http://www.la-plagne.com/plagne_go/plagne.html
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When the kids were small we skiied Belle Plagne and Avoriaz, both excellent ski schools with ESF. Now (they are eighteen) they still remember Avoriaz. They remember some of the runs which are long and easy with little bumps to try out and the town on the evening with all the trees lit up with twinkling lights and the horse drawn sleighs going pass them ringing their bells. Yes one could say it looks like a space station ( as the kids did) after 10 years we went back last seaons with friends with their children and they loved it too, joining them for a few days again in January. They drive and find it not too bad at ll. But with all things its always down to personal preference and I am sure you will enjoy Belle Plage if you go there too, what counts is the ski shcool,if they end the day with a smile on their faces, job done whereever you are!! Have fun. Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have no experience of Avoriaz yet but did do la plagne lat year.
I would not say that La Plagne if in the 'Extreme Ease' category, i think there is only one or two green slopes in the whole resort.

Try looking at Alpe D'Huez. there are masses of easy green slopes for the beginners and its high too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La plagne has 10 green pistes and 69 blue pistes!
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Slopes.htm
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all this great advice everyone, really helpful. I think we're going to go with Belle Plagne!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Avoriaz truly has something for everyone! It would be perfect for you to learn here, there is a 1.2 km piste that is reserved for complete beginners and isn’t open to other skiers, the boys will be able to enjoy the 5 hectare designated learning area for children. Avoriaz has had a revamp and has a number of brand new residences that will open this winter, all of the resort accommodation is ski in/out – this makes a big difference to your holiday. The resort is set at 1800m and is a purpose built pedestrianized resort, considering it is purpose built it is still very charming with wonderful stunning scenery. In the resort centre children can safely sledge away until their hearts are content. You can also enjoy daily actitvities, which include street parades, bands, ice sculpting, sledge races & rides, skate on the outdoor ice rink or enjoy some freshly roasted chestnuts. Depending on what time of the season you are travelling you can enjoy a carnival that starts from the 11th Feb through to 9th March, there is also a Jazz Festival over the easter break (31st March – 6th April).
Getting there by car will take approx. 8.5 hours from Calais, should you choose to fly, Geneva is the closest airport, the transfer should take no longer that 1.5 hours.

Hope this helps
snow report
I have done La Plagne and Avoriaz as a "first-timer" - the former on my first ever ski trip at age 18, and the latter aged 28 when I decided to give skiing another go.

There is little to choose between the two resorts for beginners & children, as both are ski-in / ski-out and have lots of lovely wide blues and purplish reds. Both resorts are large and the slopes can get very crowded - can be a bit offputting for newbies. In terms of accommodation, amenities, and general atmosphere, I think I preferred La Plagne. Very Happy
snow report
In Avoriaz the new Amara 5 star residence with spa and indoor pool etc has its own underground car park eliminating the walk. Also the main car park and drop off area has been revamped this year with improved arrival/departure luggage lift facilities so its a whole lot more user friendly.

Both good choices but does depend on which hamlet of La Plagne and indeed which property, you choose as to how child and user friendly the ski in and out is. In Avoriaz it is basically very easy for all so research carefully.

31 March snow you have as good a chance as any date of reasonable conditions - both likely to be slush prone in the sunny aspects but certainly not to a deal breaking level!

On the aesthetics if you have heard Avoriaz is not pretty just wait till you see Aime La Plagne or Plagne Bellecote - but there again if you are living in the ugly architecture you don't see so much of it...

Avoriaz is a slightly shorter drive and less traffic jam prone (but this should not be and has more going on than Plagne Soleil, Belle Plagne bit more life in it . I would strongly suggest you consider a property with a swimming pool if you want to be a hit with 4 kids! It saves a load of bathroom aggro too.. Anyway why not choose one resort this year and the other one next year - by next winter (12/13) Avoriaz with also have an amazing indoor alpine themed water park which will make it absolute dead cert family hit!
snow report
Quote:

It saves a load of bathroom aggro too..

Shocked
ski holidays
The road to Avoriaz is easy - you come off the A40, drive up to Morzine, follow the signs to Avoriaz and then park up in one of the many underground, safe car parks and get a horse-sled taxi to your accommodation - the kids love it! There are some excellent ski schools in Avoriaz for all ages and the resort gives excellent access to the rest of the enormous Portes du Soleil area. Avoriaz is a car-free resort. If you've ever been to Centre Parcs or somewhere similar, it's just like that. Roads become ski slopes so you can gently slide right back to your accommodation. Granted, if you take a look at the Avoriaz web cam during the non-snowy months - http://livecam.avoriaz.com/ it doesn't look so beautiful. But in the winter, it is stunning and has real charm and character. Enjoy!
ski holidays
couple of thoughts...

Avoriaz is the (still not very) highest skiing in quite a large not very high area. If late March/early April are warm then the snow will probably be worse than the Tarentaise and crowds might be a problem because everyone in the entire portes du soleil will head over there.

If you're just beginning, do you really need to factor in the cost of mega area lift passes ? It's nice to cover a bit of ground, but it might be worth looking at areas which are a little more compact...you can sometimes get limited lift passes tho, which can help with this. Otherwise you'll be subsidising all those other snowHead racing about the mountain.
snow conditions
Neither, try Les Gets
snow conditions
lewiscambridge, did you go with Belle plagne? I think pendodave, hit it on the head with the problem if the snow is not so good, whereas plagne will spread more evenly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy