Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head size for goggles and ski helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Ive been thinking about getting goggles, but they look massive on me. Only got a small head!! When i first went skiing (5yrs ago) I bought kids goggles, but not they just look stupid.
I know they are meant to be oversized, but can you get like a medium size instead of full-blown ones (are girls/unisex less bulky??)

Also, my head measures 59cm, which according to White Rock ski helmets would require a large? Is this right or do I need to take into account padding etc? Never worn helmet before but love the White Rock vulvan design (and at £35 its great value for what I need it for) Any advice on helmet fittings. I doubt ski & rock would sell White rock as you dont need to reew your mortgage to buy it!!

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
best advice on helmets, it try them on..size is standard but peoples head shapes aren't. Also theres plenty of Goggles that are smaller, giro do some also Smith Anthems are great for smaller heads, they seem to be marketed for women now because of it, but you can still get unisex colourways..

Also important to get googles and helmet that fit together well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Papasmurf
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

try them on..size is standard but peoples head shapes aren't.

yep agreed however some ski helmet sizes do differ from brand to brand.

Oh and 59 is def large or or even XL on some brands

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 20-09-11 21:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jon Ford, 59 cm isn't small , try smith optics I o/s goggles or alpina do some narrow ones
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Would you recommend trying on the specific helmet you are getting or would the manufacturer's line be similar? For example, if I tried on a pair of Giro Seam size 59 and they fitted well, would I be safe ordering a pair of Giro G9 size 59 without trying them on? I got a weird head and am worried about ordering online, but haven't found any cheap helmets in the shops yet. I am going to Tamworth on Sunday and was hoping to have a helmet already Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlanB1976 I think there are some things you can't really do on a budget. If you want the faff of sending stuff back and the shop has a good returns policy then I guess you could try fitting at home. Far easier to find a shop with a big choice and go and try them on. When you try a few on you will soon realise that they are all shaped differently and some are just painful. You don't want any pressure points on your head (across your forehead is the most common and very uncomfortable after even a few minutes).

If you have the cheek to do it find one that fits and seek a better price on t'web but I would haggle in the shop that gave you the fitting service remembering that they have provided a valuable service.

There are some snowHead who will say you can buy a Lidl helmet for a fiver and they are right - if they fit your head. If they don't you will just throw it away and buy another one that fits so why not cut out the first step and do the right thing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tiger2, Utter tripe - in my case I was prepared to pay what was needed - I would have gone £100+ if necessary. In my case NONE of the expensive helmets I tried work - For about 6 mths I tried on everyone I could lay my hands on. In the finish it was a £16 one from the internet with a head adjuster that fitted best. None of the shops I tried could find an expensive one that worked for me. There is nothing wrong with buying from the internet if it gives you a solution you can't get elsewhere (or for buying cheaply). I would also say that the finish/internal build quality/possible longevity was head and shoulders above those in the £50-£120 range in the shops. Everyone will find a different solution, but don't discount the OP obtaining a solution from the internet that he can't get in the shops - I tried big shops,. small shops, ski shows, resort shops and tried on what must be approaching 100 helmets - in the finish the internet worked for me and an adjustable helmet was the solution.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went into Sail & Ski today (Chester) and tried on 2 helmets - 1 RED reduced to £35 from £80 and 1 HOLT £50 (from £100). The RED was really comfy (went for Large) The HOLT wasnt half as nice on my head. They are getting a different RED model in for me for the weekend (the Tantrum Classic and the Scott Shadow3). They are £50 and £40 which I am happy to pay.
Also tried on 2 pairs on ANON goggles and they are getting some Smiths in for me which are smaller and look good on.

Hopefully be sorted by the weekend. new helmet, goggles and awesome new ski jacket! Sallopettes are only 1yr old so no need for new ones. Cant wait now. Bring in Feb. Could do with winning lottery so can use them all a few times! snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just treated myself to some awesome goggles and a helmet. Both half price so cant knock it. Tried ona few £35 helmets and they were either really uncomfy or made me look like a french man riding a scooter, so decided to up my game for an £85 one with a peak. So comfy and looks pretty cool. Managed to get some smith goggles down to £30 so not too bad for what I need. Cant wait now
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try and get a helmet with vents, ESP if skiing in spring, it can get sweaty under there!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the helmet has 8 vents 4 on each side. All opened by a slide on each side of helmet. Pretty cool for me!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy