Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Out of this world skiing!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This picture (Edit:link updated) shows a recently discovered permanent mound of water ice, photographed by the European Mars Express orbiter. To give some idea of scale, the crater itself is 35km wide and approx 2km deep. I saw elsewhere (can't find the link) that the mound is a few hundred meters high. Edit: Since found article here

Perhaps in years to come some intrepid Martian explorer could try skiing this (suitably attired in flexible space suit) snowHead With Martian gravity only 38% of that on Earth skiing technique may need some adjustment, and being icy, sharp edges would be recommended Toofy Grin

Physics query: For an Earthbound ski to work, is it necessary for the snow/ice under the ski to momentarily form a liquid layer to assist sliding? - I know this is the case for an ice skate, but in that case the pressure underneath the narrow blade is much higher. As regards skiing or skating on Mars, the atmospheric pressure on Mars is about a hundredth of that on Earth, and in these conditions water ice sublimates directly to water vapour without going through a liquid phase. However the increased localised pressure underneath the ski or skate may still allow liquid water to exist. Perhaps Physicsman could comment Puzzled

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-05-19 8:16; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ice skates aren't waxed though NehNeh
From a theoretical point of view, no, as long as the friction between the ski and snow is low. In practice, god only knows (well, maybe a few more poeple than God, but not me wink ).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think it would be fine. As far as I know, the melting is only a big factor in warmer weather. When you hit those -20 celcius days there's basically no melting going on, and everything still works fine. That's why warm weather waxes are made to prevent suction from occuring due to the water under your skis/board, and why cold weather waxes are made prevent the (obviously unmelted) ice crystals from sticking into your base and slowing you down.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm. There is a Martian skateboard wax. Perhaps the snowboarders are working on a wax for them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink, got there before you!

See here.

NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Given the lesser gravity, maybe nervous beginners will practise on Mars before hitting slopes on earth. Or maybe, given global warming, we'll all be off to Mars for our skiing fixes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman, or maybe the 'ascent of the beginners' will become a weekly feature, where beginners who fall over don't come back down rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman wrote:
Alastair Pink, got there before you!

See here.

NehNeh NehNeh

So you did, I had forgotten Embarassed Anyway no-one else took up the idea of Martian skiing, so I think it is worthy of its own thread Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well in wondering what in fact martian gravity was, i came across a rather amusing article.....

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/martian_gravity_tested_mice.html

It probably even has scientific merit too Very Happy

Adam
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bumping an almost 14 year old thread, but I saw this video on facebook "What if you could ski on Mars" Madeye-Smiley

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=389277981712111
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’m now thinking of the Skiing Moon-Cooker from ‘A Grand Day Out.’
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy