Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working in France, non BASI.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd like to instruct in France (getting a little bored of expensive flights and visa hassles), but have no desire to pay for BASI courses. I have my NZ level 3, which allows me to do my Swiss Patent equivalence (2 day course), if I passed that and the Eurotest, would I be eligible to work in France? Could I just do the ET and a more serious avalanche course and apply for French equivalence? Would my chances be improved if I was an examiner? I hear so many different things about this that I am never sure what to believe.

This isn't a short term plan, I am prepared for it to take a few years from when I come back to Europe (not until next year at the earliest), I'd just rather not pay through the nose for BASI.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Makes perfect sense. I have heard of people suggesting the NZ ISIA to Patent conversion, that works fine plus the ET. I would get in touch with someone at the DDJS in France and ask them. They may want you to attend the off piste courses with them or via BASI which would require doing the L3 log 6 (I think) tours followed by L4 off piste training followed by the assessment. You would just need some sort of valid first aid aswell, a 12+hr course.

If you suggested something along these lines to the DDJS it seems safe to say you would get equivalence.

With the way the CHF is at the moment the money is very good in Switzerland, especially as a Patent. I would say a job with decent school in a nice Swiss resort would be a pretty good option and you can train up to get equivalence but may find you would rather stay on the Swiss side in the end.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought you had to have the BASI L4 to do the Patent?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From what I have heard in trips to Verbier last season the NZ 3 is high enough as it is NZ's top level. From the top level of a system there is this conversion/equivalence course.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers, I have a lot of friends who work in Switzerland, so maybe that might be the place to settle. I'll keep looking into the equivalence anyway though. I'd quite like to do the Eurotest just to know that I can!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is well worthwhile. I work in France, but mostly because it was practical to do so. My parents have a place here, so it made a lot sense and gave me the motivation to get work here, Im still just a 'Stagiere' at the moment but I have a couple of seasons left to finish off my L4 stuff.
If I were planning on working in Europe Im not sure that I would have started with France normally, or at all. The swiss side is great money in the right place and ski school and plenty of decent people about. One thing that I have found though was that I seemed to be getting all the hours I could want, unlike some of my friends that work over the border where there seemed to be too many instructors for the amount of working coming through the school.

Get a message to the DDJS, maybe Grenoble specifically they are nice there, some of the other departments dont seem to take as kindly to foreigners. It would be best if you could speak in French, although English will be OK. Number is (0033)(0)4 76 33 73 73. They can let you know what you would need, or email them your proposal and see what they think to your plan with courses etc...

Good luck with it all!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jimmer, the answer to your question is no - the Swiss Patent plus Eurotest and avalanche course would not be recognised by the French. There is no precedent for the French to award the Carte Professionel on the basis you suggest. You have to have the European top level qualification.

If you don't want to do BASI you could look at IASI.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Really? So no Swiss can work in France? Or is the Patent not their top level qualification?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmer, it's the top level in Switzerland, but not recognised by France.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy