Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort needed nearish geneva near main road without very expensive passes etc - newbie please help

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I have found this site tonight and I am so glad - and would like to ask advice. I've managed to get cheap flights to geneva on 19 jan for myself and my 13yo and 14yo. they can't ski, I am a blue run type - skied a few times but it is about them enjoying it/us enjoying it together. We will get a hire car from geneva but they are both terrible travellers and I am a nervy driver in snow/windy roads so I have been looking at resorts quite near the main road - say 20 minutes tops - which we'd be happy to do a couple of hours on absolute max. we'd be happy to take the train also (couple of hours) /short (think 15 mins) bus. The problem is not so much the accom cost, but the cost of the extras - ski/boot hire, lift pass and tuition (half a day classes so they can meet other teens ideal). I have been researching samoens, megeve - both of which are close to roads, but the passes seem so steep. we are not going all out to ski lots of kms, don't care what the resort looks like (but a few other english kids around would help my two enjoy it - on the same point, we don't mind what accomodation as long as it is not "truly rowdy") I am starting to wish I had spent more money on flight to say austria, but given I have burned that bridge. We did leysin when they were 5yo and 6yo but it is really pricey. I've done niederau/soll/livigno/bulgaria (none near enough) and also val d'isere which I really loved but is a bit far and also big lift pass prices. Can anyone recommend a couple of resorts for me to research please. It doesn't have to be "snowsure" really - 3 days out of six would be OK - not sure about this ? sorry to sound so dim. All help gratefully received. Thanks, Sal xx
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sjpkgp, not sure what you think 'steep' is for a lift pass, but perhaps look at the Portes du Mont Blanc - it's the other half of the Megeve ski domain (Jaillet, Combloux, La Giettaz). It's 100km and adult day passes are €27 - it's says kids are €20.5 for the day but I don't know what age they mean by kids. Although they give you access to exactly the same area, the passes are cheaper if they are bought in La Giettaz (€24 a day for adults and €19 for 5-14 year olds, which drop to €21 and €17 respectively if you wait until 11am to start) but La Giettaz is further away from the main road so not as suitable as Megeve/Combloux for you. If your kids have never skied, they may not need passes? I'm afraid I don't know about Jaillet or Combloux let alone Samoens, but I know the nursery slope in La Giettaz doesn't require a pass (but they would once they progressed off of it).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sjpkgp, welcome to snowHeads snowHead When are you going?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sjpkgp, welcome to SHs. snowHead Yes, it's the lift passes, lessons etc which make it so expensive. One thing to think about is that, unless I am mistaken, 19 January is a Thursday. That will cut down your choice of accommodation as most French places book Thursday/Thursday (Miranda's place, which is very nice, might well be an exception, and well worth considering).

On the whole, I don't think you'd find Austrian lift passes, lessons, ski hire etc any cheaper than French ones, like for like ( comparing major resorts in the two countries or obscure ones) though I suspect Austrian accommodation providers are more flexible than French ones (they could hardly be less flexible.....).

However, you've got plenty of time to get it together, and that's an excellent time to go - mid January is low season, but should have good snow.

Another place very easy to drive to (no scary hairpin bends) is Les Gets, which also has some excellent ski schools, and I think you can just get a local Les Gets pass, rather than the whole Portes du Soleil, which you're unlikely to use. there are quite a lot of people on SHs who know Les Gets well who might be able to recommend accommodation you could book from a Thursday.

Chamonix is an extremely easy drive from Geneva - but not the most suitable resort for your party, really.

One problem you will find is that the ski schools start at the weekend - so you will probably have to book private lessons, which are more expensive. Very good, but not so good for your boys meeting other teens.

Don't rule out getting a taxi transfer from Geneva to your resort. If you are a really nervy driver, and hit a big snowfall, you won't enjoy it, grappling with snow chains along with two "terrible travellers". A taxi transfer to one of the close resorts won't cost huge amounts more - and if you can find accommodation very close to the lifts a car is just a pain anyway, especially in very snowy weather when it can be completely buried in a snowdrift unless you pay extra dosh for a covered car park space.

Don't panic, stick around, and people will be able to make helpful suggestions - with flying on a Thursday you do need very special arrangements, but you will also not have to spend hours stuck in traffic jams.

There are some "independent" catered chalets which are more flexible than the package tour operators. Staying in a catered chalet has many advantages, particularly socially, when you are on your own with kids. Someone for you to ski with when they are in ski school, maybe ski guides, knowledgeable local assistance with stuff like lessons, ski hire etc. All well worth having.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, ah yes, 19 Jan Embarassed

sjpkgp, I have sent you a private message PM with a recommendation
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sjpkgp, another welcome. Yes, as [b]pam w[ says you can get a Les Gets/Morzine pass which is much less than the PDS whole area pass. There are excellent ski schools in both Les Gets and Morzine.
If you are thinking about a catered chalet you could put your request into the Solutions Room at www.chaletsdirect.com and I am sure you will get a good response.
There are lots of transfer companies now that go to Les Gets and Morzine from the airport at Geneva if you don't fancy driving yourself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Miranda, lou and pam, thank you so much for your fast and caring responses - and yes, I am starting to realise the cheapo thursday flight was not the cleverest of moves accomodation wise (lou - we arrive the night of 19th of Jan a thurs). IRO of Friday, i'd be happy for us to get our boots and stuff and have a private lesson if the classes don't start til sat - realise these are quite expensive but it might be what we three need to "get us going" and "get confidence", and to have a mess about on the nursery slopes. I've been ski-ing 7 times (I am rubbish) but i can ski once I get the hang of it (not been for years) and feel we'd be OK with this gentle start - plus i guess we might save a few bob on ski passes whilst everyone gets their ski legs. I am not *too* worried about the drive for myself - i drove to livigno in a peugot 405 over the fluela pass in the worst weather (it got shut), we should have put our chains on earlier, it was like bambi on ice and i swore I would never attempt anything so foolhardy again - more worried about the kids feeling dreadful to be honest. Defo will look at anything independent, including catered, we are easy-going/hardy/sociable/well behaved - and actually the thought of being in a souless apartment on my own with two bored teenagers at night does not appeal - they'd also be happy with meeting.sharing with others - whatever the age - I've got 2 younger children (5 and 7) and my teenagers get on well with all ages . Good tip on les Gets, will check out the pass/school/hire prices, and also the portes du mont blanc pass - have also seen 20% off megeve passes on here so will research some more.

please keep the suggestions coming, I am very grateful, thank you, sal xx
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Contamines could fit the bill.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi sjpkgp,

Welcome to snowheads - I am sure that wherever you choose you'll have a great holiday.

If you are happier with the idea of a train transfer there is a train station in Geneva airport and it is possible to transfer by train to most of the surrounding ski resorts if you don't mind a couple of changes. The trains come into the towns down in the valley eg Bourg Sainte Maurice for Les Arcs and then you can get a bus/taxi the final part. There are also coaches direct from the airport to most of the ski resorts.

You can book trains on www.voyagessncf.fr and coaches on www.altibus.com.

If you are planning on taking lessons, it is worth booking these and speaking to the ski school before you book or buy a liftpass. Many ski schools sell a pass and lessons package for beginners which is significantly cheaper because the ski area is restricted for the first few days. A number of ski schools also don't use lift access (or use just 1 lift which you can buy a one-trip ticket on) for the first 2 days so you should ask the questions before you fork out for the pass.

Have a great trip!
Heather
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les contamines would be suitable I could help you with accom etc try and pm me .Not sure wether it is working at the moment!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brock, that's cos you are down a crevasse. Someone needs to haul you out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sjpkgp, group ski lessons aren't going to work out well. they mostly start sunday (people are travelling on Saturday) and you'd only be able to do a few days.

If you go to a small resort, private lessons could be worth considering. In our resort, for example (Les Saisies) you can get 5 x 2 hour lessons for up to 3 people for 270 euros and that would be far better value - worth considering. Your boys will probably learn at the speed of light, you could have a potter around and regain your ski legs and join them after a few lessons.

Other small resorts probably offer equally good value (though catered chalets tend to be in the more well known places, and I do think that would be a good bet for you).

If you haven't yet tried them, Stugeron tablets are quite good for travel sickness - though no doubt you've tried everything by now!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A number of the Swiss resorts are easily accessible from Geneva airport by train (+ bus in some instances). Might be worth investigating Les Diablerets / Villars (take train to Aigle and change there). If you want somewhere really small (& therefore probably cheaper) in this area, you could try Les Mosses (around 12 drags, easy bus rides to Les Diablerets if at any stage you want something bigger). You probably won't find many other English teenage kids, but outside school holidays, I think it's unlikely that you will find many of them anywhere else either.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's no big problem finding self-catering accommodation in a suitable resort - the tricky thing is a catered chalet that deals with non-standard timings.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Morillon is a bit closer (10-15 mins) nearer Geneva than Samoens.
you can pay for a beginner pass there that takes you up from 600m (generally fairly snow-free) to 1100mm.
the pass was €18 i think, and that got you on the beginner drag lifts and a chairlift from which you could acess 3 blue runs i think.
you could possibly do the same at Samoens and Les Carroz (on a dry day), to keep it interesting.
snow conditions
Quote:

up from 600m (generally fairly snow-free) to 1100mm

1100m could sometimes be fairly snow-free as well. wink
ski holidays
Very Happy it can, but thats where the snowmaking starts
ski holidays
Quote:

it can, but thats where the snowmaking starts

provided the weather is cold enough - which it wasn't, for a lot of the time last season. Could be fine (and very nice if it's bleak and horrible up the hill) but I think I'd prefer to plan for skiing at higher altitude.
latest report
Samoens would be a good choice. There's a pretty extensive beginner area (2/3 green, 2 or 3 blue and a reddish pitch) on a reduced price pass. There are a couple of well regarded ski schools there too which might be useful - zig zag I think.

Les Houches could be an option, just off the really straightforward road to Chamonix but much more novice friendly. Mountain restaurants are among the most reasonably priced in the area too, which might offset some of the other costs a bit.

I would second Combloux as a base for easy access, easy and pretty skiing and not quite the heartstopping cost that can be associated with Megeve.

Final shout would be Le Grand Bornand from a value lift pass perspective and reasonable resort costs. - I can't quite remember how far it is off the autoroute but don't remember it as being far.
snow report
Quote:

not quite the heartstopping cost that can be associated with Megeve.

Laughing you don't have to go to the Flocons de Sel - there is a McDonalds, after all. wink anyway, the FdS only has two Michelin stars. Pffffff....
ski holidays
I would second Le Grand Bornand - it is about 1hr transfer from Geneva, and again I don't remember it being too far off the main road.

We booked an apartment privately using Owners Direct. Out of season I would suggest you may find private bookings more flexible. (This is the place we hired http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/france/FR2036.htm, they may entertain different days?)
snow report
I would third Grand Bornand and if you drive from Geneva via Annecy autoroute then its as smooth and un-twisty as you can get in the mountains and still just an hour tops. The road tolls are more if you come that route than the Autoroute Blanche (A40) and Bonneville but if your kids need to avoid twisty road then its definitely the way to go. Its very good value on the mountain too and the choice of pistes is excellent...
La Clusaz would be a similar drive but is marginally more expensive for your lift pass and also general prices on the mountain (coffees, meals etc). Still great skiing and good value though...
If you progress well you can easily ski in both resorts (either with ski bus or plenty fo free parking) and they are just 4km apart.... this then gives you 220km of piste in total.
ski holidays
sjpkgp,

If you arrive late on the Thursday night why not spend the night at a hotel near Geneva airport then make an early start on the following morning when it's light?

That would give you better views, easier driving and less prospect of travel sickness.

Also, on day 1 (or on your last day) you could ski only 20 minutes away from Geneva airport at Le Crozet. It's a great little ski area, very cheap (for lift passes and equipment hire - so presumably the same would also apply to lessons) and has a good selection of runs.

However, there is not really a village or resort - although you could stay at the Formule hotel at Ferney Voltaire (about 10 minutes drive from the airport).

I'd also recommend Combloux near Megeve. A nice village, (although you'd have a - very - short drive to the slopes, great skiing and very cheap lift passes. Can't comment on ski hire or lesson prices however....

Don't panic about your choice of trip however. There is lots of time to sort things, lots of options and you will have a great time, whatever you decide.

One other accommodation option is to try the Ibis hotel at Sallanches. You could book it now, (thus ensuring the bird in hand..) then cancel (at no cost IIRC) the day before your trip if you decide on something/somewhere else. It's a 20 minute drive from there to the skiing at Combloux. Sallanches is a small town with a few (good) restaurants and bars.

Good luck!
snow conditions
Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. I am going to have a good look at all of them and work out what would be best this weekend and book
- at least there are plenty of options. Very grateful for the help, what a great forum. Can't thank you all enough, Sal xx
ski holidays
Thought I would come back to you, first of all to say thank you to every person that has contributed to this thread, you do not know how much I appreciate it. Although we have made our choice, I have printed off your suggestions as there is next year and the year after etc... and your suggestions will stand us in good stead for then. We have gone for Chalet 9 at la Giettaz and everything has been fantastic from a booking/help point of view - every question has been properly and promptly answered, and I am so looking forward to it, as are George (14) and Ruby (13). I've warned them that there will be no teenagers around and we are going to a quieter place, but I think this will suit us, particularly as we are leaving Dad and the two younger children at home. Lou - also thank you for the referral discount. Now I just have to get fit and lose a stone to get into my ski-gear. I work on the 9th floor of an office, maybe it is time to stop using the lift. Thanks again, Sal xx
snow conditions
sjpkgp, hope that you enjoy it there - no, I really hope that you do..... we are booked in for a week at la Giettaz in March!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy