Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
First snow in Méribel and Courchevel today
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Booked this morning.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like the snow has all gone today Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
russ_e wrote:

oops, tafflondon, you'd better cancel your holiday! wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly wrote:
russ_e wrote:

oops, tafflondon, you'd better cancel your holiday! wink

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I think I'll take the chance. last three seasons there's been enough of the stuff for me to fall and slide on
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
last season was my first in the 3 valleys... loved it.

I'd love to go back. Hope there's tonnes of freshies for you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lost my ski virginity to the 3 Valleys last year and fell in love. The place is just amazing. Can't wait for the white to start falling properly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still a dusting left on top of Saulire & Loze as I drove back up the valley today... not quite enough to ski yet though Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have been for the last 3 years too, and last year was bloody awful!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
russ_e wrote:
I have been for the last 3 years too, and last year was bloody awful!

It's all in the timing, arrived in 3V on Boxing Day and had a good week Very Happy , three weeks later in PdS there was as much green and brown as white on the pistes in some areas Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, all the snow arrived in December! We went end of January and the lack of snow definitely showed by lack of skill
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
russ_e wrote:
Yes, all the snow arrived in December! We went end of January and the lack of snow definitely showed by lack of skill

January was fine, you should have seen it at the end of April !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always tell myself, not Meribel, not this season... But somehow I have always ended up visiting there at least one week for the past 5 seasons - be careful folks, the 3V are addictive Smile

Was there last December, the snow was epic, so much so, that I'll be in Val Thoren this december Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kelv1n,
Quote:

the 3V are addictive
very true, for all their faults, much discussed on these pages. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm the same, every year - lets try somewhere else - always end up in 1550 or 1650!
snow conditions
much the same, although I do try and take one trip a year to a different resort. Meribel in Jan so still to plan March trip
snow report
Well 1550 and 1650 will not be on the Agenda this year the Mairie of Courcheval has made the following announcement on the townhall website translated as best I can:

'As part of the promotion and marketing of the resort, especially abroad, it became apparent that the present name of towns, referring to the altitude, gave a disparaging image at lower levels.
Also, the council decided to change the current names:
the new names become:
Courchevel For Courchevel 1850
Courchevel Moriond For Courchevel 1650
Courchevel Village For Courchevel 1550
Courchevel Le Praz For Le Praz
Courchevel Saint-Bon Courchevel Saint Bon (chief town)'
snow report
Have they increased the price of beer to match the fancy new names too?
snow report
Another fresh dusting
snow report
russ_e wrote:
Have they increased the price of beer to match the fancy new names too?
Fancy old names I think. Moriond, Le Praz and St Bon where the original names for the hamlets that the ski resorts were later built around. 1850 and 1550 were new constructs I believe.
snow conditions
1650 was lovely when I went there about 5 years ago. Far too many drags for a snowboarder Sad but the snow was awesome as was the off piste. There is no village or nightlife to talk about but we were in a full board hotel. Before I went I felt we were going to the cheaper and lower (height) version of courchevel but was really pleased when I got there, I am not surprised by what they have done with the names to be honest because it does give that impression.
latest report
johnlspencer wrote:
....the present name of towns, referring to the altitude....

Ha, ha!

ski holidays
altis, Very Happy

Did they not call it 1850 so as to outdo Val d'isere or some other such resort which was at 1800?
ski holidays
I believe that was the case Happy
snow report
Thinking of booking to go to 1850 on 14th December, bit worried that it's too early for decent snow?! Confused
ski holidays
going to VT this weekend to check the apartment out before the season starts. Looks like the first real dustings are arriving. Glad I changed to winter tyres.
snow report
VT webcam showing a decent dusting since yesterday... Doesn't look as much like a moonscape any more!

http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/live/livecams--webcams.61.html
ski holidays
I love cycling down to St martin in the summer. in just a few minutes you go from cold moonscape to grassscape to bushscape to warm treescape. Amazing transformation. Its also great feeling the warmth hit you as you drop down from vt to les menuires.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow cannons up and running today on the webcam for VT. Guess they're just testing?
snow conditions
and from the altiport at 1850, interesting to see that half the webcam is from a pre-snow day. Looks so much nicer with some white stuff.
http://www.courchevel.com/livecam.php?Rub=344&webcam=3&L=1
ski holidays
The forecast is for it to be cold for the next few days and a dump on Tuesday Morning when I am driving back down the hill. maybe they think it is worth starting to build up the piste around the resort now for the early season at the end of November?
snow conditions
Going back for my 18th consecutive year, can't wait! Lets have a big year!
ski holidays
Jakejenks, is that 18 seasons?
latest report
Unfortunately not, I'm still a student, usually get around 6-8 weeks in more recent years, hitting dryslopes back in england twice a week till then!
snow conditions
emwmarine wrote:
The forecast is for it to be cold for the next few days and a dump on Tuesday Morning when I am driving back down the hill. maybe they think it is worth starting to build up the piste around the resort now for the early season at the end of November?

Promised dump doesn't really seem to have materialised... Light dusting at the very top but that's it.
snow conditions
Just driven back from Val Thorens. Beautiful summer weather for the last few days with St. Martin at 14 degrees with blue skies. They are switching on the snow making machines in VT whenever it is below 0 and the snow is piling up in great big mounds by the snow making machines.

I guess they are waiting for a week or so until it becomes cold enough for the snow to stay then will use the piste bashers to move the piled up snow around.

Lots of new buildings have been built and the new runs with the new lift at the Peclet should be fun. Our apartment is fully booked out already - well as much as we want it to be. I think the relatively poor snow last season in many resorts has made some think the 3Vs are a better bet.
latest report
Our group is a regular in Meribel Village (even better now with the new Golf lift) in late January and I've always been impressed with the piste management across the 3V. Even when there's been no snow for several weeks, the pistes are usually kept in good form. Really looking forward to that first run, probably followed by lunch in St. Martin - or perhaps one of the massive burgers you can get in Mottaret!
latest report
Some snow at ValTo, but not much else at the moment. Weather is fine, and reached about 18 degrees at 700m today. Some rain, but little snow forecast in the short term. Howveer, still 5 weeks to go until Meribel and Courchevel opening, and a lot can (and normally does) happen in that time.
latest report
Ichabod Argh, can't wait to grab some food at the Bo a Mil!!! Season is getting so close Very Happy
ski holidays
Still very warm, 28 degress in the sun at 700m today. No new snow in the last 10 days, but the dusting from a couple of weeks ago remains down to about 2000m. In Courchevel, Suisses has a very thin covering, but nothing further down. In Meribel, the east-facing slopes such as Legopede also have a thin covering down to about 200m, as does cote Brune and Mont Vallon. Limited opening of Meribel and Courchevel due 4 weeks on Saturday.

Work is still ongoing on the lifts, including the new top section of the Saulire gondola. This season, a short ski (the distance to be skied, not the length of the ski) will be required to change over at the half-way point. Renovations of the Pas de Lac lift have come to a standstill due to the manufacturer not delivering some required parts
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy