Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are YOU a "Crafty" skier??

Poster: A snowHead
Some of you may recall the Sunday Times book "We learned to ski" of around 1970's vintage.

A charming but surprisingly useful chapter concerned "Snowcraft" - identifying and using the terrain to pick the best conditions/situations. For example, not skiing down the tree shaded path because it might be icier than the sunny piste.

So, the question remains, "Are you a crafty skier?"
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's something I consider, yes. A large part of skiing gracefully is reading the conditions and making your turns at the right point, choosing your path to give yourself the most control.

For instance, I'll often choose a black rather than a blue at the end of the day becase there'll be less people on it heading for home, and blacks are often in better conditoin than blues as they have less traffic - the obvious exception being when pistes should be graded lower but as left unpisted and become heavily mogulled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt, Day to day, definitely. The last coaching I took though, advised picking out all the crud, ice, bumps etc and skiing it. Some days better than others wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would say yes - I ski the sun in the morning, and the shade in the afternoon.
And in flat light, I head for the trees at the side of a run, or anything that will help with definition.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I am, but in reference to the line
Quote:

not skiing down the tree shaded path because it might be icier than the sunny piste.

I think they might be wrong, icy pistes tend to be the result of either a lot of wear or melting in hot sunlight followed by refreezing at night, thus a tree lined piste may actually have better snow on if it doesn't get any sunlight, however if it's very well used (say because it's the home run) then it may become icy due to wear, the crafty skier knows what is likely to occur and adjusts their route accordingly
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think all good skiers have some kind of it
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, You are just being picky! Here's me trying to recall their examples after a goodly long time. I shall have a look at the book at the weekend.

Chris Brookes, I think I might have to politely disagree, although of course, it depends, on your definition of 'good'. I did a few seasons as a rep/"guide" and "led" a fair few 'good' skiers who wouldn't have recognised snowcraft if it jumped up and bit them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can be a crafty skier. Sometimes I go for a quick ski at MK and don't tell Mrs Slikedges I've been. Little Angel

David Murdoch, Sometimes you meet very experienced skiers who when you ski with them only seem to know one turn type/radius. It's usually short to medium and they just do that down the mountain regardless of pitch, cant, snow or shade. Takes skill of course but no ski craft there!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, rep or guide.....huge difference wink

I havent done the 'rep' thing so wouldnt know about every skier but my comment was on people i have skied with (a fair few) who i found all had some form of savvy about them. We must ski in different circles Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone who has ever ski guided or instructed becomes a 'crafty skier' because you don't want to expend too much energy, you need to know where all the best stops are, how to select the terrain that suits your group or clients. Especially true in bad weather!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 11-08-05 12:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David@traxvax, Oh very true, I recall skiing with a SCGB rep in white out conditions with arround 30 to 50 cm of fresh snow on the ground, the rep who was fairly new to the area decided we were all going to ski what's normally a very nice area in good conditions, I told them it was going to be a nightmare but as per the norm the rep thought they knew best Twisted Evil By the time we all got to the bottom I was one of just two people in the group who hadn't fallen over Laughing After that little incident the rep decided to listen to well meant advice wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, was it in Wengen, by any chance? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, might have been, in the punchbowl below Eigergletscher perhaps Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I would say yes

Most foxes are crafty.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes, yes, huge difference! You'll note I used "guide" in inverted commas as I think it's a somewhat inappropriate word for simply leading groups of chalet guests around an area. The french word "accompagnateur" is better IMO but harder to type (and is French and probably not spelled that way). Maybe I should just have left it at Rep a la SCGB.

Most good skiers I ski with socially know what they're up to, pretty much. But not everyone...some just follow wherever they're led. Honest, I have one friend who's a good skier, but wouldn't know where to go if abandoned in any of the resorts that she's skied in a lot. She just skis along paying attention to the fun, the scenery, the skiing, etc. and not really very much to direction, location or anything dull like that.

David@traxvax, oh, absolutely for sure. And you want to always be able to find a little stash of fine snow even when it's been clear sunshine for 6 weeks...

One becomes very crafty indeed. wink

D G Orf, 30-50cm fresh? You sure the rep wasn't just pleasing his or her self? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
David Murdoch, Does your female friend tend to visit small resorts to save getting lost then.. Laughing

D G Orf, least the Wengen SCGB had people to ski with. The SCGB reps in Murren doesnt get much of a crowd now a days.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 11-08-05 13:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
David Murdoch, there was 30-50cm of fresh powder everywhere (well almost) that day, unfortunately the Rep picked the second worst place in the imediate area to go play, the worst being the Lauberhorn, once we got down to the tree line things were great but there were easier ways of getting down than the one we used, it took us about 40mins to get down when in good weather we could have done it in between 5 and 10 mins, still it did show who could cope and who couldn't Laughing
ski holidays
I suppose I claim I am in my signature Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

wouldn't know where to go if abandoned in any of the resorts that she's skied in a lot.

Oops, that's me too Embarassed I can't read a piste map. I struggle with an ordinary map. If I cross my arms behind me, it takes me ages to work out which is now my left and which is my right hand. Whilst skiing, I would follow anyone down anything rather than get lost.

Thank heavens for SatNav (car) and mobile (anywhere else). Fortunately, I am married to someone who always knows his way (think he was a homing pigeon in a former life).
Chris Brookes, the best place I've been to, for not getting lost, is Livigno. If you keep going downhill (from anywhere) you eventually get to the road where there will be a bus stop to your hotel! Magic!
snow report
The Crafty Skier:
Lets the fixed grip chairlift hit their companion's shins first
skis just off piste to avoid collisons on crowded runs
waits to see where the December snow falls, before booking their holidays[/list]
ski holidays
D G Orf, Not very clever! How did the rep fare him/herself? Deep snow, whiteout, will generally sort out who can and who can't.

Chris Brookes, no, literally, she just goes where she's told both at resort choice level and what run to ski next level. So generally PDS, Vd'I, heliskiing, Utah (that's going to be a bit of a challenge!)

I suppose I could make some comment about the relative uniqueness of a girl always doing what she's told but I'd need a sofa to hide behind and there isn't one in the office. Under the desk is too obvious and I'd get found. Little Angel

maggi, Smile you are not alone...
ski holidays
Peter S, "Lets the fixed grip chairlift hit their companion's shins first" he he he

That'll be the ski rep/guide/'guide'/instructor* shuffle then?

*Delete as applicable
latest report
David Murdoch,
Quote:

I suppose I could make some comment about the relative uniqueness of a girl always doing what she's told but I'd need a sofa to hide behind and there isn't one in the office. Under the desk is too obvious and I'd get found

snowHead snowHead
snow report
David Murdoch, the rep made it, she was the only other person to manage it, still no damage to anyone as the snow was so deep
latest report
My favourite trick is timing it to get the last lift up. Then have a Hot Wine or Beer at the top while everyone heads for home. This worked perfectly in Soll last March as the run I selected had just been groomed by 5 piste bashers in convoy up the hill.

Absolutely perfect 1000m of perfectly groomed vertical with no one to bump into Very Happy
snow report
An early lunch is a good idea. Avoid the lift queues for the popular restaurants, get served quickly and have 90 minutes or so of relatively clear pistes. Be miles away from anywhere by the time the restaurants empty.
snow conditions
johnboy, Doesn't work like that in France. On the dot of 5.00pm, the bar closes and the pisteur "guides" you down the mountain, waving his arms about shouting "Allez, allez" Shocked
ski holidays
Ski to the sides of the pistes to get better snow and avoid the groups of classes in the middle.

Sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon - follow the shade.

Have a backpack to put all the sundry bits and pieces in rather than having stuffed pockets.

Always in in a compatible ability group to avod all the " pfaffing about " by the slower/unfit members of the group or a group that is too big or stopping all the time. That requires to be ideally sorted on the first day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy wrote:
My favourite trick is timing it to get the last lift up. Then have a Hot Wine or Beer at the top while everyone heads for home. This worked perfectly in Soll last March as the run I selected had just been groomed by 5 piste bashers in convoy up the hill.

Absolutely perfect 1000m of perfectly groomed vertical with no one to bump into Very Happy

You'd like Zell am Zell. It has a gluewein stand plus live music ( at least in 1996 when I was there ) on the top station Schmittenhohe ) and you ski down perfectly groomed pistes several hours later.
latest report
hibernia, it had last year too - except some of the pistes were a bit muddy/icy in March.
snow report
I'm with Fox on this. When the weather closes in, get below treeline.

It's orgasmic snow and everyone else goes home Very Happy
ski holidays
slikedges, ah, yes, I'm afraid I only know one turn too; the essential one. "ETO!"

But seriously, I know what you mean, one turn fits all. Except it doesn't. How do they avoid getting bored?

marc gledhill, Wear The Fox Hat, There is something quite marvellous about skiing trees/treelined runs when it's "puking" snow and everyone else has taken an early bath.
snow report
David Murdoch, dunno, there's a lot of fun to be had using the terrain to ski as effortlessly and efficiently or as quickly and aggressively as is appropriate. Just watching them can be enough to induce Wear The Fox Hat's zen-like state.
ski holidays
slikedges, "using the terrain". For sure.
snow report
I once followed the rest of my group and cut the last few corners of a boardercross. I wouldn't say it was crafty though, cause the instructor noticed us Shocked
snow conditions
maggi, you need to find the resto that the pisteurs don't patrol (on your own head be it). I have fond memories of 1. the resto owner informing us that we'd just missed the last cable car down and that the snowline reached about 50% down the hill. 2. Immediately ordering another bottle, 3. following my mate's sparks as his edges bit heartily into the slate that should have been covered in snow.

Pretty fireworks!

Hey Ho.

(Disclaimer. Do not attempt any manoeuvres described in this post at home. Serious damage to life, person, credibility, creditr rating or wallet may ensue.)
ski holidays
David Murdoch, rented skis?
snow conditions
Much good sense already spoken. Just a little tale: last year I took a very experienced group down LG (Vallons de la Meije). It was ages after the last snow, but we managed to find a bit of fresh to do 3 or 4 turns in, which chuffed me no end. A little further on the best skier of the group (almost Grade 2 level skier) said "look, can't we go and ski that slope?" pointing to a virgin bit of snow. "No," I said " it;s all shiny, which means that it's crusty, and there are no tracks when the whole of the rest of the area is tracked out which must tell us something". "Oh, says the guy - I never thought of that". Not so crafty skier. Shocked
latest report
easiski, Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy