Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dumb BASI L1 questions...and any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing my L1 at Castleford in a few weeks time, a few dumb questions!

Do folk turn up in ski gear and keep it on all day, or get changed for the 'on snow' sessions vs the classroom session?

And any other tips gladly received Smile

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Top tip: Don't crash into fellow L1 candidates (and yes, I have seen this happen several times..!)...

Keep an open mind & enjoy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trackie pants and a hoodie/fleece then you're good for both? Unless you're planning on falling a lot I don't really understand why people wear goretex pants etc indoors unless its for warmth - a storm is hardly going to close in on you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, There will be some time on the snow when you'll be standing around... you will get cold.

Try to keep the bent bit of the ski (unless it's a twin tip) in front of you wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, I'd have a t shirt on underneath your jacket, leave your ski trousers on.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, I'd have a t shirt on underneath your jacket, leave your ski trousers on.

Good luck!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear your underpants over your overpants, and give 'em what for, kitenski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski,

Come dressed as you would for skiing on a mountain. You are better travelling to and from the event in your ski gear as you really won't have time to keep changing. However wear layers under your jacket so that you can cool down when you are in the classroom. Alot of your time will be spent on snow and there will be alot of standing around.

Also DON'T BE LATE. 4 people were late to the start of the last Level 1 course in September. Personally I don't care how far you have to travel or what the road conditions are like, The golden rule an instructor should adopt is to be on time for your lessons. If you can't get it right now what chance do you have in the future.

It's better to be an hour early each day ( gives you time to relax and refresh on any tasks you have been set ) and chill with a Starbucks than to be 1 hour late.

I assume you are on the 3rd Oct Ski BASI 1. If so then see Colin or Phil who are on the course or even ask for me Mikey ( I am on the UK Advanced Instructors Course being run at the same time ) and we will arrange for your Ski's and Boots to be left behind rental.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, haven't you heard that these things are purely black tie...?

I've always turned up for these things in civvies and changed into ski gear when there. On one course, at Tamworth, we all changed back into civvies at lunchtime - but only because the slope closes for grooming.

I completely agree with Super Eagle about time keeping. It's the easiest way of throwing away goodwill from the trainer.

I completely disagree with fatbob about trackie bottoms. It might be fine for an hour in a fridge, but not all day.

My top tip for your teaching demos is to remember that BASI teaches the priorities of Safety, Enjoyment, Learning - in that order. Make sure that you've kept them safe, then make it fun, make them laugh and get them doing stuff. Don't talk too much or try to do too much.

Make it enjoyable and the rest will follow.

And good luck with the course.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When you are spending all day skiing indoors make sure that you have warm gear available. I would normally bring a couple of pairs of socks.

Much more pleasant to have the options.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Super Eagle, FlyingStantoni, top tips thanks, I'd already noted in my mind to be early, will try and find you to leave my kit there after Monday.

Super Eagle, yes its the 3rd Oct one, which just misses the "summer" cut off and appears to start at 09:15 on the Monday, vs 10:15 on the summer schedule Wink

The pre-reading blurb refers to a 'workbook' so I assume I don't need to bring a notepad to jot notes down as I can do so in said workbook?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, Just a pen. You can make your notes in the workbook.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyingStantoni, Yep I'm a sweaty barsteward so find full kit a bit too much indoors but I appreciate that there is considerable standing around and slow work on a BASI 1 course.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Once you get the manual, make sure you read it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
know what year basi formed wink
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
know what year basi formed wink
That's L2 Wink

They're long days with your brain working as hard as your body. Keep a routine going and make sure you get enough food and sleep.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
FlyingStantoni, Yep I'm a sweaty barsteward so find full kit a bit too much indoors but I appreciate that there is considerable standing around and slow work on a BASI 1 course.

Now did I say that? rolling eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
Once you get the manual, make sure you read it.

The mistakes in it are all deliberate, you have to find them all before the end of the course.
snow report
Definitely bring a small notepad for taking notes while you're on the snow.
latest report
stevomcd, I'd say that was impractical and a bit pointless, plenty of time for writing stuff down once inside.
snow report
Spyderman, Actually I disagree. A notepad and pencil can be useful especially if you are as much of an air head as me and can't remember things for long enough to wait until you get indoors!
ski holidays
Kitty, Goldfish Laughing
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire, there are also some things that are missing NehNeh
snow conditions
Mounta1nGoat wrote:
anarchicsaltire, there are also some things that are missing NehNeh

Remember with one subject they denied that and said I just hadn't looked hard enough (to be fair I had only received the book 5 mins before so had only flashed it). After I disagreed with them a conference of 3 wise (BASI) men said it was in there but they just couldn't locate it at the moment.............

.............or the next day Toofy Grin
snow report
anarchicsaltire,
Quote:

Mounta1nGoat wrote:
anarchicsaltire, there are also some things that are missing

Remember with one subject they denied that and said I just hadn't looked hard enough (to be fair I had only received the book 5 mins before so had only flashed it). After I disagreed with them a conference of 3 wise (BASI) men said it was in there but they just couldn't locate it at the moment.............

.............or the next day

what's missing?
snow report
kitenski,

Once again congratulations upon you success today in attaining your BASI Level 1.

35 more hrs of shadowing now.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
plus 2 day First Aid and Kiddie Fiddler Cert.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy