Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I need a lesson in boot jargon

Poster: A snowHead
OK, someone has mentioned a 'nominal flex index of 70' with the implication that this is not good. This has caused a number of questions that I would like to clarify.

1. So which direction does this scale run - is a higher number a stiffer boot?

2. I know that stiffer boots are preferred when skiers get more advanced - that much is clear from reading threads. However, 'bend ze knees' is also encouraged. I think I am missing something and I'm not afraid to look an idiot and ask. If you are going to 'bend ze knees' surely this involves flexing the ankles. Flexing the ankle must be easier in a boot with more flex so why is stiffer better? I can only assume that it is possible to flex the ankle too much.

Clearly I have missed something despite reading loads of threads - please tell me what I have missed? Ultimately this will lead to the thought do I need stiffer boots? Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, higher the number the stiffer the boot. A 'race boot' would be in the region of 150. 70 is very soft. Bend zee knees is not a good thing to focus on, and you're right it should be bend zee ankles so you don't want to be in too stiff a boot otherwise it can inhibit ankle movement. On the other hand, in higher performance skiing the forces that you have to manage and apply to your skis require a boot which isn't going to flop in half with just the slightest bit of forward pressure. Do you feel like you can bend your boot forwards with hardly any resistance from them?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Then I was right about the ankles - great Smile So it's a trade-off game then? To answer your question I have never been aware of any force preventing me from flexing the boot at the ankle - however, given the concept of 'bend ze ankles' is this necessarily a bad thing?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, IME ski kit is always a trade off, and as your ability and confidence improves you begin to look for a different response from it. Until you begin to feel that your boots are too floppy and stopping you from getting pressure on the ski where you want it I guess they are going to be OK for you. In general, if boots are going to be 'wrong' I'd say they are more likely to be too stiff rather than too soft.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, My plastic bank card says this is good news Very Happy Thanks!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, if it's any help, since you know how I ski, my boots - as recommended and fitted by CEM - are 85. (But I'm a lot smaller than you, and imagine that must make a difference.)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, my comment was based on a general preconception that almost no-one (adult) should be anything less than maybe 90 or 100.

The boots you have were marketed as being designed for comfort more than performance.

Given all that, and the apparent improvement in technique and skill that you seem to be experiencing (based on your and others comments on here...)... I am afraid you may have to consider abusing your credit card.

Sadly, it's quite difficult to find hire shops that will properly fit boots to your feet just for the day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, my boots are only a 70-80 flex, bought a couple of years ago when I had just started skiing. I've been increasingly feeling the need to close/strap them up a lot tighter as I've been skiing faster and steeper etc in the last year or so, to get the right response, and I don't think it is just the liner packing down. I've tried to ignore it as the boots don't phsically need replacing, but I have expressed interest in the BootZoo at the PSB though, so who knows what might happen...

I know it's my fault for not getting proper advice when buying boots (I was still in cheap student mentality, didn't know enough about skiing and took a chance at a warehouse clearance, and have been very lucky with the fit etc).

But, here's my grumble folks...
I think the marketing used by the manufacturers is very misleading on this.
My boots are Rossignol Electra E12. They are not on the Rossignol site anymore, but google finds them on plenty of retailers. Who all say things like
Quote:
"Medium-stiff flex for the advanced to expert rider seeking increased control" ,
"a stiff (70-80) flex for the advanced to expert lady chargers out there looking to up their game." ,
" the burly performance of a stiff (70-80) flex for the advanced to expert"

So little old numpty me a few years ago quite understandably thought they would last me as I progressed. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wigan, I stand to be corrected but I don't believe each manufacturer measues boot stiffness the same way.....(or they didn't used to....)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IMO consumer boot flex is all a bit of a non-issue. Sure at higher levels and when racing you may have specific requirements re stiffness but I find it hard to believe that most recreational skiers need stiffer boots than 70-90. My experience on getting back into skiing was that I skied a pretty soft Salomon low end boot (it fitted my feet) for a number of years and never really felt that "too soft" boots were holding me back. So I'd say that until you're skiing everything on piste on the mountain without noticing what colour it is, boot flex is the least of your concerns, assuming you haven't got an overly stiff boot.

IANABootfitter.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting. Never thought about mine - but just checked. It says Atomic 90 on the shell, so does that mean they're 90? Also CEM-fitted. I'm 10 stone. I never feel that I'm overpowering my boots or my skis - I think I'm a non-aggressive skier; I like smooooooooooooooth.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, Thanks Megamum, and I's credit cards like you Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Come in CEM, come in CEM Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

So I'd say that until you're skiing everything on piste on the mountain without noticing what colour it is, boot flex is the least of your concerns, assuming you haven't got an overly stiff boot.

I'll bet that's right. It's possible to faff too much about these things. Well fitting boots are important once you start doing touchy exercises like skiing on outside edges, but beyond that most of us recreational skiers will get better returns on investment in lessons than in kit.
snow conditions
pam w, But then if the lessons involve skiing on outside edges ......... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Megamum, I think comfort also has a huge effect on how stiff a boot feels, my first set of boots when learning were Atomic 70 flex, I used them for 1 week but they didn't fit my shin very well so all the pressure was on one area of my shin, I couldn't flex them because they hurt too much, I changed them for a Salomon "supposedly" 90 flex that fitted snug the length of my shin and they actually felt softer to flex because they fitted evenly. Now I've worn them out I've gone to a 120 flex in the same boot and I reckon they would still feel softer than my first 70 flex Atomics. Similar flex boots-Brand vs brand I'm certain will feel different but for intermediates and up- I think fit and feel is equally if not more important than flex ratings (within reason).
ski holidays
remember manufacturers are not alined in flex and 100 slalom on will not be the same as a 100 rossi, atomic etc
snow conditions
Iski, then yes, you need good fitting boots, but an ordinary sort of pair which fits well, so your foot doesn't twist, should do the trick there. I'd guess (and it's just a guess...) that boots which transmitted every twitch to the skis would not help when doing those exercises, until you got very good at them and had 100% mastered the fore and aft movements on one leg/wrong edge.
latest report
FWIW I have noticed that I am doing mine up tighter - I think I even moved the latch thing to the tighter set of holes in the boot to help, but I must admit I put it down to the boot liners packing down rather than any other need.

I have a BF who keeps telling me that I probably need stiffer boots because my skiing has improved hence the question. Currently mine are on the plus side:

comfy,
still functional,
had some packing put them in a couple of trips ago to tighten them up inside so I now have no heel lift (I was getting some previously), they are probably a tad on the large side (CEM has confirmed this in the past for me, by about one size, but the extra padding in them means they do feel nice and snug now,
they keep my feet warm

On the minus side:

need tightening up more than they used to when I have used them for 10 minutes
Have ten weeks + use on them

and it would seem on the 50/50 side of thing have this flex index of around 70

At the moment I don't feel as though they limit my skiing, though I am trying to keep a pair of (what feels like) hefty great big planks under control

The gear junky in me could easily go and buy another pair of boots, but boots are not 'two a penny' and the skin-flint in me is vying with the gear junky at the moment - hence some information is a very useful thing in the equation.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

until you got very good at them and had 100% mastered the fore and aft movements on one leg/wrong edge.
According to the pictures, she did exactly that!

I too have been skiing on the little toe edge of my skis all afternoon in my less-than-90 flex, recreational boots. And, for the first time ever, I did several consecutive turns on one leg. Very Happy Four, to be precise, but one's got to start somewhere. wink I must admit that, one hour into a full day of one-legged skiing (not exclusively on the little toe edge!) I did the two top clips up a notch tighter than usual.
snow conditions
Quote:

Four, to be precise, but one's got to start somewhere

great. Once you can do 4, you can do 40! I can do them much better on my left leg than my right. I had some alignment done on my boots this summer, and hope that will even up. But I can only do them on a fairly gentle slope where it feels as though all my movement is side to side, rather than doing anything very clever fore and aft. We did some "fore and aft on one leg" with Fastman, but that was in a straight line!

You need the fore and aft for the one legged 360s, that's for sure, but I don't think I'll live long enough to get round to them!
latest report
pam w, I detest 360s, even on two legs, they make me feel dreadfully dizzy.
snow report
Quote:

remember manufacturers are not alined in flex and 100 slalom on will not be the same as a 100 rossi, atomic etc

Agree with this & only adds to the confusion, I wonder how many people have steered away from their ideal boot purely based on the flex sticker!
snow report
Megamum wrote:
they are probably a tad on the large side (CEM has confirmed this in the past for me, by about one size,.

This = get new boots of the correct size, forget about stiffness etc etc, getting the correct sized boots will have a massive difference.
ski holidays
kitenski, Even if they are now padded out to point of feeling nicely snug?
snow report
Quote:

they make me feel dreadfully dizzy

yep, me too. I used to do somersaults on a trampoline; now I almost throw up after a head over heels on the sittingroom carpet, playing with the grandchildren. It's age, I think, but such a grand excuse for not doing 360s!! I was playing with one of my grand-daughters in a park with a steep grassy bank a couple of weeks ago. She wanted me to roll down it with her, and - of course - I did. Big mistake. I had to pretend I wanted to lie spreadeagled at the bottom with my eyes closed for a few minutes. I'd forgotten how fast you pick up speed rolling down a grassy bank and there's no way I could have stood up. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - daft old bat. the kids seem completely immune to dizziness, or to like it. I do wonder whether it's an inevitable component of ageing, or whether I'd be OK if I'd kept on doing somersaults.
snow conditions
pam w, see the stuff about hearing in this deeply depressing article:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/004013.htm
Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
umm, it`s late and i`m sleepy.

My understanding is that manufacturers now measure flex in the same way.

I would still counsel that anything less than a 90 flex is too soft to allow proper ski contol.

but that's just my opinion.
ski holidays
Pedantica, Sad indeed. Still, I'm a much better skier now than I was in the past. But improvement does take a lot of effort, as does everything else. I'm struggling to learn Italian and my 19 month old grand-daughter surprised me this morning by remembering a word she heard only once, two days ago, and which had not cropped up since. Her brain is functioning at optimum language acquisition - and mine isn't.

I'm sleepy too - I've been sitting here downloading a pile of BBC 3 and 4 podcasts and burning them to CDs to take in the car when we drive down to Genoa and the Alps next week. I shall arrive knowing loads more about the Taiping Rebellion and the Minoans. And Cavalli. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy