Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with kids...hints and tips needed!

Poster: A snowHead
We are going on our first ski trip with 3 children age 3,5 and 7. Everyone is booked into ski school in the morning. I need hints and tips from other parents so that we can survive the madness and make it fun for all. Any advice relating to what to pack, equipment needed, how to keep them warm, anything I might need to know. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dont go over the top with keeping warm, if they are anything like mine even the little ones (well youngest was 5 on her first trip) will work hard enough to keep warm. The two up and about now say they've never need more than a base layer and outer layer and even then sometimes end up with their jackets unzipped to cool down. If you possibly can get everyone some lessons on a dry or indoor slope before you go. Get all the boring sidestepping up a few m for a couple of seconds skiing out of the way before taking to the mountains, that is what we did, got ourselves to the standard to be let loose at a Tamworth on our own and a few sessions to practice and ended up in intermediate classes, way more fun! All the kids 5, 9 and 13 at the time were happily cruising the easier reds by the end of the week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jo298, re keeping warm... when and where you going?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
children vary. I skied a lot in the past with my sister and family - she had two kids, 20 months apart in age. One was constantly far too hot, the other was constantly far too cold. Both loved skiing but their needs were very different.

I'd be wary of taking a 3 and 5 year old - and maybe even a 7 year old - to a dry ski slope. A fridge would be a much better idea - but initially I'd tend to take them to watch, or let them see some videos, and see whether they want to do it. Again, kids vary. I remember one very crowded session at Hemel, on a Saturday, when the changing rooms were full of fussing parents and kids, many of them in tears. Some of the kids weren't too happy, either.

You'll know your own kids - one of ours loved lessons on a really grotty dry slope with no lift. The younger one (6 at the time IIRC) really didn't like the lessons at all, couldn't follow. He's the best skier in the family by miles now though.

A few tips. Fasten the gloves with a lanyard of some kind to their jackets. Have spare gloves for when they get wet. Make sure they can climb out of their gear to wee (might be a challenge for 3 year old). Have snacks in their pockets.

Are you staying close to the slopes?

Are you all beginners, and all in ski school? That could be a bit of a challenge. We did exactly that - I spent a while running frantically round giving the kids their lift passes and making sure someone in hubby's group knew he was diabetic. It was really quite challengin - but great fun. It was one of those heartless Austrian efforts - stick everyone at the top of the nursery slope and see how they get down it. they probably don't do that any more. 4 of us ended up in 4 different groups. Fortunately the 4 year old spent the first week of a two-week holiday just watching, being looked after by grandma and spending some time in a nursery. Grandma cooked lunch for us all. the 4 year old didn't start till week 2, by which time we knew the ropes.

It's not for the faint-hearted, but who wants to spend their holidays frying on a beach? wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weather varies too, of course. I've spent January weeks when the temperature rarely rose above minus 15, with added wind chill and other January weeks which were positively balmy. You need to be prepared for a range of weather at any time of the season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. We are going to Les Arcs 1950 (well hopefully, booking this week!) the second week of January. It's meant to be ski in, ski out which I think is a bonus (?).
pam w - thanks for the wee-ing tip! Hadn't thought of that Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spare gloves certainly a good idea, kids can soak a pair before they have even left the hotel!
Oh and resign yourself to the fact that the little ones will very soon be far better skiers than you!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry but First tip would be not to post the same question in 2 sections of the forum. It dilutes the usefulness of any ensuing debate, and might waste the time of people who post answers in both threads. Not usually something that is done other than by spammers.

Anyway - welcome to snowHeads.

If you use google you can do a good search of this site, and find a lot of this stuff.

See here
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stoat of the dead, already picked up, give the lady a break
are you back now? (hope so)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx, And I'd have had to read all of both threads to find that out. Could have been sorted by her posting on this shorter thread to close it.

Just thinking about posting again and tbh, not sure I'm going to bother coming back if when I actually bother to give her a google sitesearch of the site which required me generating a tinyurl to post it, you tell me off... Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do agree people should search - if they read the logic of the search page carefully, it usually works quite well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My list of tips for skiing with kids are:

Relax.
Have spare pairs of gloves. Wet gloves are unpleasnt and cold
Goto a ski in ski out resort (like Arc 1950). Avoid ski busses, kids lose gloves, hat, pole etc. on busses
Make sure that you can ski down to your accomodation, carrying exhausted little ones uphill is much harder than skiing downhill with them in your arms.
Relax
Do not try to instruct them, little ones ski differently to adults.
Stop often when skiing with them.
Put some indentifiaction in their pockets (like where you are staying) in their pockets
Establish a procedure if you get seperated. Ours was ski down the the bottom of the first lift you see and wait. We will find you. This worked brilliantly when our 8 year old son became separated from my brother descending into Courcheval from the Saluire. 600km of piste is a lot of piste to search, but James just sat in a deckchair and waited at the vizelle lift where I found him 30 minutes later. He was a bit annoyed it had taken so long, my brother was distraught.

Enjoy it. It was less traumatic and stressful than taking them on a beach holiday.

John
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go with Esprit (or similar) much less stressful all round.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

much less stressful all round

but much more expensive, too. I didn't find it stressful in the least. Yes, it's hard work, but it's very rewarding. We have great memories of family ski holidays - probably wouldn't have been the same if we'd offloaded the childcare. and the OP specifically wants to make the child's enjoyment of the holiday a priority. It's a great way to spend time together.

the other sort of holiday which created loads of fun and memories were boating holidays - also v hard work with kids. Many worthwhile activities with kids do involve hard work, not just throwing money at it.

I was a working Mum much of the time my kids were growing up. The last thing I wanted to do was not see them on holiday!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Take chocolate
snow report
tissues.
one of your pockets is tissues and a spare pair of woollen gloves that fit everybody for when everybody has lost, soaked theirs
one of your other pockets contains chocolate. swiss black and guaranteed to work
your other pocket contains things that you might need like money, phone, lift passes
the last pocket (on the outside anyway) contains chocolate wrappers, wet gloves, snotty tissues, ski ties and the chalet key.

if there's a walk, then little ones and ski boots equals slow, unhappy, and slippy. I learnt on day 3 that it was better for them to wear snow boots and change into ski boots at the slope, so you need a rucksack. I have a rucksack which can carry skis, and also water, the clothes that accumulate etc. Two pairs of little skis on that, just mean you have to carry your big skis and maybe the 7 year olds. Another good reason to ditch poles.

lastly if you want to keep in budget, don't go in the ski shops and see all the pretty little things for girls. Have succumbed to my daughter being dressed by french women who know way more about it, and just handed over the card.

maria.
ski holidays
don't expect the 3 year old to ski much and when they do make sure it's fun, the first year we took our son it was busy and the ESF had them outside in groups of 20 or so and they had to wait 10 or so minutes between each 20m slide down the slope, now I don't know about your's but my 3 year old isn't noted for his love of waiting. Also as parents we are much more worried about them being cold than they are and they get fed up with all the toing and froing so ski in is easier. I think both our boys probably enjoyed the 20 minutes or so a day they spent sking with us than the ski school.
ski holidays
Jo298 - one other tip, plan your meals carefully or go to a chalet/hotel that specializes in children and serves meals early - we struggled self catering in Arc1950 until we fed our boys at lunchtime or cooked ourself - lots of tears from tired kids waiting to get served in French restaurants that don't open until 7:30 at the earliest - particular problem in 1950
ski holidays
what to pack? PATIENCE Smile

If you are used to skiing without kids and expect something akin to that with them then think again unless you intend to dump them in ski school all day.

We've done holidays with our two kids ranging from about 9mths onwards. I'm sure the feedback has been posted before if you search on username etc but skiing with them is more rewarding once they are mobile - great to see them progress in front of you. Keep them warm, interested and fed and you'll be fine.

If you are going as a couple then be prepared to ski alone sometimes whilst the other plays with them/sledges/builds snowmen/gets them lunched etc or RDV with them somewhere for a picnic.

Enjoy!
David
latest report
Jo298, as others have hinted, and we've posted a number of times, with small people, think of this not as a skiing holiday, but a holiday with skiing.

Arc1950 will be perfect for you - the ski in-out and small distance to the ski school will make it easy, even if you forget something you can run back in no time, and you can pick up from school and then have lunch at the apartment without hassle. (and following janner's comment, I agree, some of the restaurants are less than perfect: but then again, possibly the best kids restaurant in 1950 is La Bolee, the Creperie, the cream and chocolate crepes being a particular favourite of our family. And open at lunchtime, opposite many of the school drop off points, so if you get back for the ski-school pickup early, you can sit outside with a warm chocolate (sometimes with a dash of something?), and as the classes arrive back, feed the hungry mob one at a time!).

Enjoy the sledging, the swimming, and yes, the not-snow related activities: it is tiring in the cold and altitude for the little ones, they may want to just read or watch TV in the afternoons, before popping out for the evening entertainment hour. Plenty of kids around, plenty of activity going on until it gets too dark to see where your snowballs have gone, or your marshmallows have overcooked in the fire, and being car free, safe as it can be.

And to echo above, it's a family holiday: Enjoy!
snow report
Arctic Roll, thanks....your descriptions make it sound so good!
snow report
Great advice from Arctic Roll - especially the comment about a holiday with skiing
ski holidays
Jo298, helmets which fit, phone numbers in pocket, you carry spare gloves and goggles. Buy them some good thermal underwear (no cotton) and that helps a lot. Sun screen - lots of; and we use a junior Buff to close the gap around the back of the next which seems to always open up with kids jackets, and Les Arcs can be COLD. Les Arcs not brilliant for small groups - esf often 12-13 kids. I've seen really bad practice in the swiss and french alps re instruction of very small children - total inactivity (kids throwing snowballs for 30 mins and indeed once asleep on the ground in the 'fun park' - I hung around at a distance to see what they were doing with my then 4 year old) through to just having them inside eating biscuits and doing no skiing. We looked around and found that Swiss Mountain Sports in Crans Montana had a maximum group size of 5 (!!) and often the groups have been 2-3 in the last 5 seasons which we have used them. They've been brilliant, and the kids have learned stacks. Fantastic experience for the kids and great tuition. I believe that there are some independent schools in the Trois Vallee who are the same - sorry not sure about Les Arcs these days (last skied there a few seasons ago).
snow report
valais2, Thanks for the info. We are booked into Spirit 1950 which I think has maximum groups of 6 or 8. I had heard similar comments about ESF...but have no personal experience
snow report
I'm a working dad and the last thing I want to see on my holidays is my children Wink

I am selfish enough to offload childcare to a trained professional, especially since kids will be in ski school for a good part of the day.

I didn't find Esprit dramatically more expensive than Neilsons or Crystal, but infinitely better set up for kids.

Speaking of spending time with the kids, we are off to Turkey with Neilsons in October, and when I suggested to them that they could spend time with their parents rather than going into club, I was met with looks of disgust. Apparently 6 hours of sailing with your new mates is more fun than being with your dad.
ski holidays
ten pence worth
go with Esprit / crystal
spare gloves , chocolate ( small bars buttons) , 5 euros in coins in a pocket just in case of a hot chocolate
your mobile number / hotel and the REPS number on paper in a pocket
tissues & travel/small pack of wet wipes
sun screen
favorite toy/ nintendo DS for the journey & the hotel
a photo for the lift pass if needed
ski holidays
Jo298, Mrs Ed and I have a fair bit of experience as w also have kids now 2, 7 and 9 and have had about 20-25 or so weeks skiing with the growing band. Like the rest of your life with kids it isn't at all the same as pre kids!

In no particular order; if 3 year old in nappies either take loads with you (cram every pocket and spare bit of baggage with them) or be prepared to spend €25 on a packet and then rant. Nappy sacks do not exist in France so don't try and look for them in the shops.

As I have posted before continence is a very important thing. Your 3 year old may well be OK most of the time- but in the very very cold, with strangers and after hot chocolate s/he may have better things to do than have a pee in anywhere but his/her pants. Children's pee makes a really bad smell if left too long in ski boots. Try a nappy. Think lateral.

Don't loiter around the snow garden. It upsets everyone.

Expect to spend a vast quantity of money for hardly any skiing at all (compared to an adults only holiday).

Sharpie marker pens- very useful- names on ski stuff, phone number in kids jackets / on helmet perhaps.

Lidle- kids ski helmets for cheap- also gloves / socks.

Ebay- kids ski clothes also for cheap.

Snack bars important

DIY packed lunches

Esprit holidays excellent for kids who love the whole thing.

Lots on here have a read.

Happy skiing and welcome to snowheads.
latest report
Get a chalet close to the piste, lifts, ski school and village with hosts who don't mind you coming back at lunchtime wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jo298 wrote:
Thanks all. We are going to Les Arcs 1950 (well hopefully, booking this week!) the second week of January. It's meant to be ski in, ski out which I think is a bonus (?).
pam w - thanks for the wee-ing tip! Hadn't thought of that Little Angel

Sorry I missed that you are going to Arcs 1950. It's a fabulous place. Looks a n bit like Disney town because it was built by the Canadians who built Whistler Village. The kids will love the pancakes in La Bolle in the centre just down from the square.
snow conditions
If you are going on14th jan watch out for the 12 snow heads in les arc 2000
ski holidays
Lots of good suggestions above.

Would echo suggestions re lots of chocolate, phone numbers in pockets, thin layers that you can change according to the weather, use buffs to keep small faces warm. Don't, don't, don't make them walk any distance in ski boots - it's painful for everyone and will put you all off!!!!

Few thoughts of my own.

Don't expect it to be like an adults skiing holiday - you'll get far less skiing done but as they get older it will be worth it for a short couple of years when you can all ski together, then roles will be reversed and they'll think you are a real liability, too slow, too nervous, too often wanting to stop for a vin chaud!!!!

Don't linger round the snow park - let the instructors get on with it.

Stop frequently, make sure they don't get hungry (or need the loo!)

Try and do some skiing together but don't get too serious - just have some fun together
Try to make the most of non-skiing activities - sledging, digging in the snow, whatever they enjoy.
snow conditions
mentioned above. As an instructor who has often been on the other end receiving kids in the French Alps from parents who want to fuss, take photo's, woop and ahhh at every second my advice would be to trust the instructor and let him or her get on with it. 99% of kids love learning to ski and having fun (hopefully it will be a nice patient British (or at the very least English speaking) instructor). As instructors we have all been been in the situation plenty of times and most kids find parents watching a complete distraction. By the end of the week the kids will be settled and will be more than happy to smile for pictures etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy