Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis for the first time

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so I've been skiing for quite a long time now and pretty good. I'll ski anything on or off piste and I particularly like the moguls. For years now I#ve been renting skis but I have decided to buy skis for the first time and it is pretty confusing so I was after some advice.

Firstly I like Dynastar. For the last couple of years I have always rented the Contact 9 but I can find them to buy anywhere. I don't no exactly what it is about these skis but they are forgiving and give me a lot of confidence. There seem to be good on and off piste, moguls etc. and I feel comfortable on them. I have also tried Head and Rossignol (have no idea what model??) but didn't like them.

So looking about I have seen a couple of contenders. The Legend 85 with NX 12 bindings, the Outland 80 XT with NX 12 Fluid and finally to through in a wild card I went to my local ski shop (had very few Dynastar skis) and they had the Atomic Blackeye Ti. Now I have never tried any Atomic skis but these looked really cool and the review on the net looked good. They also seem to fit my all-mountain, advanced skier type criteria.

The NX 12 seems to be the bottom range of binding? Are the PX range better and what about this fluid techology, I have no idea what that is all about.

One last questions, I am 193cm tall and weigh in at 95kg. I'm not sure what size to go for. Logic seems to say 181 or 184 ski length, but I ski a lot of moguls and perhaps a 176 or 178 might be better for me?

So anyone got any opinions? I know there are alot of these posts so sorry for bring up the same old questions........can wait for December, first ski trip over new year in Risoul, France.......

Thanks
Ian
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy