Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When are Boots too Old?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm pretty new to the site and have been loving all the info!

I am currently skiing in a pair of Nordica Beast 12 boots - purchased about 5 seasons ago.

I love the boots, they fit well and they are the first pair of boots I have ever owned. My concern is I don't really have anything to compare to, apart from the hire gear I was using before I purchased these boots.

After reading so many posts and seeing the repeated advice to update boots with skis I am wondering what your thoughts are on these boots and if they are "outdated" yet?

My skiing is primarily in Australia but have skiied in Japan earlier this year and am booked for a trip to Utah in Feb and have the bug for more travel and more skiing. I would say I am an high intermediate/advanced skier with most of my time spent on the groomers but after Japan am keen to spend more time off piste. (not sure if this is relevant).

Here's a link to the boot if you are unfamiliar with it: http://www.backcountry.com/nordica-beast-12-ski-boot-mens
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andy H, short answer, no boots don't really go out of date.

Example, (at least) one well known manufacturer is still using moulds from longer ago than that to produce its "latest" models, which really aren't significantly different except in colour.

I change my boots when they get too smelly. If I really like the fit, then I may extend the shells' life with new liners. I need new liners typically around 180 days.

If you bought really cheap, nasty "beginners'" boots, you may want to replace them with something more comfortable and performant, but the Beast is a reasonable enough boot I would think.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andy H, so long as they fit your feet, you are getting good hold and the soles aren't too worn to fit safely in a binding then they will be fine for a good while yet, the boot level is pretty good so unless you are advancing at a really fast rate and skiing all season long i wouldn't worry

then of course there is the little doubt that may be in your mind that says , mmmmmm i wonder if i could get a better fit/flex for my feet/skiing??? wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When the plastic shell disintegrate then it is too old.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awesome, thanks for the replies.

I thought they were fine but didn't want to be "missing out" Very Happy

My wife will be very happy with the received advice too! (She doesn't ski)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When the color is sooooooooooo yesterday Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have found, twice, that boots were "too old" when they started to hurt me, essentially because my foot were moving in them a bit (they were particularly sore at ankle level, when I was skating - not sore other times, but a little sloppy). The first time, I solved the problem by buying new boots, then the next time, solved them by having Zipfit liners put into the same shell.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought my ten-year-old, one-two weeks skiing a year Salomons were fine. And then I shouted myself a trip to Profeet in Fulham (only after first seeking advice from here, of course) and a fitting session with a pair of heat-moulded liners. Best thing I ever did for my skiing in the last 15 or so years. Refurbishes the boot to good as new, if not better.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As Admin found out, when all your companions get together and buy you a new pair as they are too embarrassed seen with 35 year old boots wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The most common plastic begins to loose properties after 30000 flexes through 10°, also exposure to sunlight UV a-b, and extremes of temperature -10 and below will all fatigue the plastic. Little Angel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

extremes of temperature -10

I knew there was a good reason why I head for a bar and a vin chaud when it gets very cold. Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This has made me look at when I got mine - the nice thing about documenting things on SH's is you can look back and find out Very Happy . I actually got mine in Jan 07 - which is several years ago now - I was surprised at how long. I reckon that's 9 long weeks ('cos I often ski for the extra Saturdays on the end of the holidays skiing plus the odd weekend and 4-5 hr snow dome session - so approaching 10 weeks skiing. I've been back and had them tightened up once and at the moment they still feel OK, but they were my first boots Head 8.8's. I wonder how much longer they will be OK for?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, they have a nominal flex index of 70, so one might argue that they were never really OK for anything... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought some new ones when the others were 20 years old..................................
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They were comfy........................

and worked.

New ones are just as good.............................after fettling.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

The most common plastic begins to loose properties after 30000 flexes through 10°, also exposure to sunlight UV a-b, and extremes of temperature -10 and below will all fatigue the plastic.

Depends how fast you flex - could be 3000 fast cycles or 300000 slow ones wink Little Angel

Edit - dammit, wrong way round.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Andy H,

I change my boots when they get too smelly.

Dear Andy H, after having skied with you a number of years now, and you can consider this an intervention. 5years is being very conservative, and its time! or your boots can sleep outside this trip.
ski holidays
Your ski boots are too old when the leather starts to get mildewed! wink
snow conditions
Richo, Alastair Pink, Laughing
latest report
I am old my boots are only half my age now whats the problem wink Puzzled
snow report
Sharkymark, And at what temperature you flex them, how tight they're done up and what kind of plastic they are made from. Little Angel

But the factory tests are mostly to my knowledge based around 30,000 flexes to get the number we all refer to.
latest report
Quote:

Your ski boots are too old when the leather starts to get mildewed!

You are not treeting your boots correctly. Dry them gently, apply dubbin then store them in a dry well ventilated place.

I bought my first pair of boots just as rear entry boots were coming into fashion. They were all very wide fitting and I could not get any to fit properly so I persuaded a salesman (actually a personal friend who subsequently went on to climb the north face of the Eiger) to sell me a pair of 4 clip boots. The rear entry fashion came and went and I still kept skiing on the same boots adding moulded insoles after about 7 years. I pensioned them off last year after 20 years service.

John
snow report
Quote:

I pensioned them off last year after 20 years service.

Laughing Laughing I have been saying that for the last 6 years, just not got round to it yet, maybe this year wink
latest report
Quote:

When the color is sooooooooooo yesterday

or the extreme version: when the colour has gone out of fashion, come back in again, and gone out again. Which is where I am now (and there is a clue in the forumname)
snow conditions
Took my well-worn Atomic race boots in to see CEM this morning to check this very question. Excellent honest, straightforward and accurate advice from him as usual - shells fine but grotty (he suggested child slave labour to clean them - my kids wink), liners just grotty. One new set of liners sourced and that's me sorted for another season or two. Also got him to tweak my trail running trainers (which again he approved as being fit for purpose), which definitely feel even better now. Thanks Colin!
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

But the factory tests are mostly to my knowledge based around 30,000 flexes to get the number we all refer to.

I just did the math, on the 30,000 flexes that means my boots have only done 14 flexes per skiing day on average Puzzled

Is it cos they don't make boots today like they did back in the 80's wink Shocked

Whats the average number of flexes per day skiing? then I can work out how many times my boots have flexed over the last 26 years Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
livetoski, Simples innit, don't turn!
latest report
livetoski, That's over 2000 days skiing in the same shell? That's almost every good day of a season for the last 20 odd years. Do yourself a favor, and buy some new shells!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
each boot will be flexed 30,000 times through 10° angle. I don't know how often YOU would do that.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yep, this season, new boots are a promise to myself, the figures above are a little rough but I am pretty sure I got my boots in 1983/84 Shocked Shocked

Combination of skiing on Snow, on plastic, Snowdomes and 2 summer seasons on the water ramps!

With the old V4's its not really the plastic that has been doing all the flexing, its the metal springs in the rear of the boot, I think a normal design of boot would have failed long ago.

Looks like the top of the list for new boots are some Dynafit Titans and a nice display case for the V4's or should I contact Dachstein and see if its some type of record wink
ski holidays
livetoski, Titan Light!
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, but livetoskis boots are made of kryptonite rather than plastic....the only way i can see them having survived so long
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy