Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Trip DIY

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As part of a longer sabbatical trip my wife and I plus our 2 little boys (4Y / 15months) are planning to spend 1 month at a ski resort. We are both strong intermediate / expert skiers.

We are also planning to start our 4Y off with some lessons at the Chill Factore in Manchester before we fly out ( so he gets a taste of it all before we get to resort) and will obviously enrol him at ski school for some mornings. We realise that we won't be able to ski for hours on end every day but this is as much about having quality family time together as much as it is about skiing (hence the reason for our long break - we are heading to Canada or Australia for 5 months after this).

Happy to consider both Europe and North America. Planning to be out in April. We will break out trip into 2 parts - ski first, get back to the UK to unpack / repack and then head off to the longer leg of our trip (unless we decide to do both in North America).

I'm sure some of you would have experienced something like this so would be grateful for any insight / ideas :

Our younger one needs to be in creche / local nursery while we're on the mountain, has anybody had experience of particular resorts with such good local facilities? Or are we better off using what UK operators like Esprit provide?

Relaxed about not staying right in the middle of resorts and appreciate that satellite villages (say Pemberton for Whistler or Le Praz for Courchevel) will be cheaper alternatives. Again any thoughts on this?

Would it be better for us to drive to Europe if that's where we decide to ski?

Does anybody have recommendations on letting agencies we could use to secure accommodation?

Any other advice, recommendations greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
franga, sounds like a wonderful idea. If you go to Europe for an extended period, I would definitely drive there. Small children have lots of stuff. I suspect a month of Ski Esprit would be rather expensive, but I suppose it depends on your budget. http://www.snowangelnannies.co.uk Snow Angels nanny service operate in several resorts, and might be able to advise on your childcare options.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for driving. gives you a lot more choice of where to ski and - equally important - where to shop. With little ones, and cold weather, having a snug car seat in a heated car can make a big difference. I spent a few contented hours with a sleeping baby and a good book, in a parked car last winter. We had planned a walk/play in the snow, but she was just zonked, so changed plan. It wasn't cold (last season wasn't very cold.....) but if it had been, the car would have been even more useful and I'd have left the engine on tickover with the heater on. Also useful for a 4 year old - the less walking in ski boots the better. And when the weather is just too poor for skiing, you have options for other trips - in April the valleys are starting to fill with flowers and cows; a nice change from the snow up high.

Sounds a terrific plan; enjoy it. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
franga, sounds fantastic: Due to the time of year, I'd urge you to consider buying season passes soon if you’re considering France where, the kids are usually free at that age - I do not know if that applies elsewhere, but the adult discounts for resorts like Chamonix (800€ ish) , Verbier (chf 1,300 ish) have great rates at the moment although still a lot of dosh. Alternatively the Grand Massif would potentially fit your bill, but if you're looking at a family resort for more than a few days, I'd strongly suggest that Flaine should not be your accommodation base. You can ski there easily, and the Samoens/Morillon/Les Carroz areas have good crèche facilities if you need them. Geneva, Annecy and Chamonix are an easy drive for alternative skiing or just a break from the mountain. GM passes are currently round €420 each for adults and include 1 day in Verbier plus 3 in other Haute Savoie resorts.

As experienced keen skiers, you are almost certainly well aware of the skiing credentials of the well know resorts, and perhaps it’s the family objectives which other SH’s can with if they’ve had recent winter experience of any resorts that they comment upon. My “home” base is Samoens where I can provide detailed knowledge according to your needs if required, and it’s a magical place for young children as they make a great effort for childrens après ski entertainment.

Driving is the way forward for a month.
Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franga, We had somebody stay in our apartment last year for over 6 weeks doing something similar to what you are planning. They had a 4 year old and 16 month old and were spending most of the season in the Alps before going to live in Australia, they had a fantastic time. The 4 year old had morning lessons with the local ski school and the 16 month old spent mornings in the local creche just down the road from the apartment. The parents used to spend most mornings skiing together, they took it in turns to ski in the afternoon whilst the other babysat.

If you are looking to rent a place for a month you are more likely to find something suitable if you could go outside of the main school holiday periods, if possible I would aim to go in March, especially if you are looking at renting from English owners. A lot of places will have February half term week (11th to 18th March) and the Easter fortnight (March 31st to April 14th) booked by now, it is also low season pricewise from the middle to the end of March. You will also have a better chance of good snow in March and the weather is usually pleasant in March (as opposed to January or February when it can be really cold).
They found us through the long stay solutions room on chalets direct (www.chaletsdirect.com)

I would recommend travelling by car, they came out to our place with a landrover freelander packed with stuff. I would also recommend finding a place with a washing machine, we swapped our dishwasher for one whilst they were in there and they found it was essential.

If you can make March we may be able to help you out, I could also ask the people who stayed at our place to give you some advice if you wish (assuming they haven't changed their email address).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for your time and insight everyone - we'll take time to digest, decide and start planning.

Thanks again and have a cracking season.

Skichampcok - thanks, let me talk to the wife and I might get back to you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy