Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glenshee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

i have been invited on a stag do in Janurary to the Glenshee resort, i am very excited as i wasnt expecting to get to ski on snow outside until after i get wed next June!

whats it like there and does anyone have any 'must dos' or hints and tips to get the most from our weekend?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great choice, the nightlife is rocking so don't go expecting early morning starts. Are you staying at one of the ski in ski out hotels ? Take your big planks as deep powder is almost guaranteed in January & there are some enormous snowfalls. In between the big powder days, that area of the Cairngorms gets lots of sunshine being to the East of the range so remember your sunglasses & Piz Buin. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moffatross, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Where are you staying prick_with_sticks? Glenshee is a ski area with mostly weekend and short stay visitors with no base town/village as such so wherever you are you'll have to drive there and if you're down the road at the nearest hotels you'll find there's not much in the way of choice nightlife wise ...

... Aviemore (near Cairngorm) is the only place that could genuinely be called a ski town in the UK but there are some very nice towns and villages in the Glenshee area like Braemar but it's more olde world Scottish for visitors to Balmoral and Royal Deeside (tourists and huntin' shootin' types with a few hillwalkers) rather than a ski town.

Conditions for wintersports can be marvellous and they can be terrible, difficult to say this far ahead but the last 2 seasons have been great and there's a positive buzz Aviemore way at the moment about prospects for the upcoming season ... ultimately though who knows, best advice is check the webcams and weather forecast a few days before you go!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the info guys!

we are staying here http://www.gulabinlodge.co.uk/accommodation.asp

we will be travelling up from preston and the surrounding area, we are hiring 2 seven seaters to drive and we will have to drive from the accomodation to the ski area.
We will be getting there midday thurs, skiing/boarding thus aft, all friday and sat AM, then on to edinborough saturday late aft til the wee hours, coming home sunday aft.

keeping everything crossed for some good conditions, most of the group will be hiring skis and boards and probably boots as well for some.

i will be checking the web cams for sure as i cannot bloody wait!

next skiing after that will be canada late 2012 or spring 2013 so im going to make the most!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't know where you would hire ski equipment (I have a feeling there isn't a place by the slopes, or am I wrong?) At Aviemore it is simple and also at Nevis where there is a place by the lift, or in Fort William, a couple of miles away. However in those cases you need to get there very early on popular days since there can be big queues for skis and boots and suitable equipment is not in big supply.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, there's a dozen places on the road up to glenshee, although the hire stuff is of variable quality - best to book in advance if you can, but worst case scenario, even if you have to hire on the way up, you'd be unlucky to be caught short.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
prick_with_sticks, Gulabin Lodge has a good reputation and is used as a base for skiing quite a lot, it's basic hostel accommodation so I don't think it has a bar but IIRC there is a bar down the road. It's at the Spittal of Glenshee which is a few miles down the road from the ski area.

I think Cairdsport still have a hire outlet nearby but probably worth checking on that and what sort of equipment they hire (could be old and knackered), there is hire at the ski area too.

Have a great time but don't expect it to be the same as Canada, just take it as it comes and you should have a good 'un Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For me the thing I didn't like at Glenshee was skiing between snow fences most of the time (they are to collect the snow and stop it blowing away in high winds).
Just go expecting a relatively small area without trees and you should have great fun.

See photo album on here http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=49 (see bottom of page for different Scottish Resorts and different dates / years.)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you have full coverage Glenshee is the best Scottish resort in my opnion. Ski hire on the way up is pretty ropey from experience and I would suggest getting it at the resort.

I love Glenshee, if you get a nice day it can be great fun and about 2 hours from my house makes it my local resort. You also may want to go into the Spittal Inn for a few beers, which is pretty close to your digs, it is old skool.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
After the last couple of seasons the local rental gear has improved. The actual centre had some reasonable gear. My mate hired some at the Cairdsport place, they were the bluntest skis I have ever seen. Quite treacherous as it was sheet ice.
Not sure about boards. The signs you pass on the way advertising equipment can be amusing - Skis £12 - Carvers £15.
If you are lucky, and in January you'll need to be you can half a fantastic time at Glenshee.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy