Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Isola 2000

Poster: A snowHead
We are looking for a lazy weeks skiing in January after watching the Monte Carlo rally nearby. We don't want to travel miles when we have been running around in a car for 3 day's plus the drive from the UK.
Does Isola have reliable snow. Persume at 2000 metres it shouldnt be that bad.
As we are intermidates do you think the Reds and Blacks are as challenging as anywhere else.

Or do you have an alternative close to Isola that has good terrain and variety?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it had a good season last year compared to most of the french alps,
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
when I drove to Isola 2000 the few other cars on the road seemed to think they were in the damned rally. Was just a day trip from the coast - we didn't ski. An interesting drive, though - loads of deserted and wild countryside. Write a report when you've been there - we hear very little about it. The resort itself is pants, but who cares?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are driving consider Pra Loup. V. nice resort. Pra Loup is a bitch to get to unless you are driving but worth it. If you are thinking of going on the road that goes past Isola forget it. The only way to go is from Marseille up the autoroute. I've skied both and Pra Loup wins for me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beautiful and extensive report (in German, use google translate)
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=40452
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jerby, Nearby resort Auron is better and nicer,,
http://winter.auron.com/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
go on Onnems, link and search for this piece of text 'Blick in den westlichen Bereich des Skigebietes, das aus drei parallelen aber völlig voneinander getrennten Sektoren besteht'

The couloir shown there, with direct lift access, is easily enough to justify a day there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
can recommend val 'allos - 2.5 hours from Nice and linked to pra loup
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
actually, I misinterpreted the photo and it's not lift accessed at all
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
can recommend val 'allos - 2.5 hours from Nice and linked to pra loup
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Isola is fine and it gets snow, too much the last time we went, it was so cold it knocked out the power lines and we were shut down for 2 days. It tends to be sunny, the odd slope is challenging but overall the resort is small and you can ski everything in a day, there is some side country to explore but not much, it is good for families as it is compact and the nursery slopes are in effect the main drag. Auron just up the road is prettier, has less area but it's more interesting.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How far is Auron and Pra Loup from Isola? It has got me thinking instead of just going to the one area we can go to various areas.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jerby, Auron is 35km from Isola2000, I can recomended this hotel,, http://www.auron-hotel.com/fr/index2.php 25m from the Gondola lift
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

instead of just going to the one area we can go to various areas

if you're down there with a car, that's probably the best idea - maybe the only chance you'll have in ages to explore that area, accessible only from the south, in practice. In good snow places like Auron are great (I have friends who live in Fréjus who go there sometimes) but it by no means always has good snow - it seems to be "all or nothing" in some of those southern places. You can be free to explore, and I can't imagine accommodation would be a problem anywhere in January.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Jerby, I live in Monaco and have spent the last three years driving up every weekend and trying all the resorts.

I agree with most, that Auron is much better than Isola. The skiing is better and the resort itself is much more attractive. Valberg isn't bad for a day, with some great off piste over the back side of the resort but the best by far is Val D'Allos, as mentioned by George, with some very good terrain for all abilities and it's big enough to keep you busy for days. It's about another 30-40mins drive though.

Another one that's not been mentioned that is great is Limone in Piemonte Italy. It's just over an hour from Monaco and has some good skiing, is a pretty village and has some good restaurants as well.

Auron overall if you don't want to drive too far and although it's sign posted as further from Nice, it's actually quicker to get to as the road is fast with only the last couple of kilometers having some bends. The Isola road is very twisty and can be a nightmare and if it snows, regularly gets shut, which can be a bit of a nightmare when there are no hotel rooms available and you are trapped in resort! At least I had an excuse to sit in a bar all night....
snow conditions
Thanks for all the info. Would you ski all runs in a day at Auron? Just trying to piece together where we base ourselves and which resorts to go to.

Got at the moment. Would these fill a weeks skiing? We ski 09.30-15.30 at a reasonable speed.
Auron
Isola
Pra Loup
snow report
Sorry got another question.

Is the road/roads between the resorts fairly clear. Appreciating a new dump. Or do the authorities tend not to clear them?
ski holidays
Jerby, Its more easy to get up to Auron than Isola 2000 in bad weather, and Pra Loup is 72km north of Auron and alot of bends on the road from Auron,,
Auron has skiing for one week if the snow is ok,, when I was there end of January 2007 there was a dump the days before, just the reason I getting there, I got all the nice stuff for me,
ski holidays
Ah fond memories of my stag week in Isola, it was like a Colditz block clad in timber, altitude was high so ok snow Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy