Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Likely snow conditions for next season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey

Just a quick question from a rookie,

From the last few years, would you say there will be enough snow in the third week of Decemeber to open most of the runs on a high resort in the Alps?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strongtea, welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

The short answer is "nobody has any idea".

The slightly longer answer is that if you aim for a very high or best of all a glacier resort then there's very likely to be some skiing in mid/late December. Quite how much is anyone's guess. Last couple 3 or 4 years I've done a long weekend in mid December in a highish French resort, and always got some good skiing in (usually on powder), but I always go expecting to do some hill walking if things go wrong!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strongtea, the answer is yes but you can afford to wait and see. Height isn't the only factor. How far into the continent you go is important too which is why most "low" altitude resorts in Austria schedule their opening week-ends for mid December and they expect skiing to village level.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller makes a very good point...for the last 3/4 years I've also done a long weekend in November in Austria or Switzerland, and generally had as good conditions as the weekend in France Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Strongtea, the last few winters don't necessarily have much of a bearing on the coming winter. That said most of them bar 2006/7 saw quite cold starts to winter.

It does rather depend on which resorts you are referring to though? Keep in mind that opening all the terrain may also be a question of expected customer numbers and nothing to do with the weather.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses guys, tis much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

opening all the terrain may also be a question of expected customer numbers and nothing to do with the weather.

you can find opening dates on their websites, generally. Smallish places might open weekends only, or as nozawaonsen says, not at all, regardless of how much snow they get.

Watch out for Christmas dates, when things get seriously more expensive. Before that, you'd be a bit bonkers to book accommodation; book a flight, then decide where to go at the last minute.

(Last year, in some places, that week was about the best of a bad season...)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and the Easter school holidays! Far too hot and too little snow this year. Should I go to the Canaries instead? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The best snow will be found on the upper slopes.

I can't believe that has not been said already!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the input guys, we would probably be looking at somewhere in France / Switzerland, maybe Tignes....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have been going skiing the week before Christmas for the last 5 years (ie 3rd week in Dec!) and I've had very good snow every year - often much better than January.

Resorts have been Val D'Isere, Courchevel, Meribel Mottaret and La Plagne.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy