Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crap ski equipment

Poster: A snowHead
Everyone like to rave about their gear but what about the truly crap stuff you've had that you've really hated or not got on with:

Mine:

Nordica rear entry boots. Can't remember what model but it was resurrected in a easyjet print ad not too long ago. Hateful things, minimal control, eventually gave them to my dad because he persisted with his belief that rear entry boots were the mutt's nuts. Last seen splintering off his feet at the top of a mountain in Austria while the soles remained clipped in to his diappearing skis.

Burton Freestyle bindings. Plastic pieces of turd. Base plates/heel loops fractured. Heavy. Straps really uncomfortable. Ended up after warranty with complely color mismatched pair.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dunno, I've never bought anything really bad. I've exploded a couple of pairs of skis but they skied well and if you buy stuff made in a shed in Nevada then that will happen periodically.

I've got a Petzl Tikka headtorch that confuses my avalanche transciever. That kind of blows.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
North face hydration park, just leaked all the time, when i eventually took it back, the shop said I was leaning on it too much on chair lifts.....!!

Volkl racetiger rc, looked nice, skied like planks, i was just not beefy enough to bend the things!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, Good thread !

VIST interchangeable tele and alpine bindings, sounded great in principle but needed huge amount of re engineering to work with my big feet and i binned em...

Leki click in strap poles, froze up , to take off glvoe you had to take off strap velcro constantly lost strap bit and binned em

Leki shock absorbing length ajustable off piste poles, mechanism kept failing at the wrong moment and i would end up with one short pole, binned em

Tracker 1 transceiver, shite

£35 ski tuning iron black and yellow plastic shattered when i dropped it on the bench, replaced with travel iron for £5

Plastic coated maps , came recommended but wouldnt stay folded up and flapped around in the breeze, not good while having a heart attack on a ridge !

Ebay silva compass, turned out to be military radians instead of degrees and i almost failed a course on navigation due to being always out on my routes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
Ebay silva compass, turned out to be military radians instead of degrees and i almost failed a course on navigation due to being always out on my routes

Gotta laugh Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, I was having a mare and I couldnt believe i was so thick as to not be able to add up a couple of angles... In desperation i finally asked the guide to work it through with me and he picked up on the NATO symbol... Big relieve but stress was at maximum
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret / rob@rar, brilliant.......... Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, Could have been worse, you might not have been on a course!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, Laughing

Also got some Leki clip-in poles. Used a bit, but they are too much of a PITA.
Powder ribbons. Used two or three times, PITA.
Think I might have one of those ski carrying straps (bought as a present years ago). Used once, PITA.
Briko breathable (!) goggles. Singles lens which were supposed to be gas permeable or some such rubbish. Got suckered in to buying them at the ski show. They would fog up before you even put them on. Complete PITA.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I loved my Nordica rear-entry boots. So easy to get on and off and didn't feel like the equivalent of a plaster cast. After 14 years of use, I was gutted when they finally died. And yes, I do believe they were 3 sizes too big for me too.

I seem to have a recurring problem with salopettes. I have a habit of ripping them. Don't think I've had a pair that's lasted more than 2 seasons. I can't call them crap, I think it's me that's crap.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Isn't it funny how no equipment of any sort ever get s a really crap review by the journalshits?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ed123 wrote:
Isn't it funny how no equipment of any sort ever get s a really crap review by the journalshits?

Believe me, I have written some pretty scaving stuff before...problem is no editor will ever print it for fear of loosing advertising revenue
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cat tracks! Can't believe I actually bought them let alone tried to use them!!

Rossi Z7s hateful things! Never could work them out? Bought after great S&R reviews etc. Case of dodgy ski or more likely dodgy driver! Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gatecrasher, I have very smooth boot soles and took up with cat tracks when I bought the new boots. Love em... have no problems.
snow conditions
Scarpa, Cat tracks work fine for me too.
latest report
Scarpa, rjs, I personally found them a b*tch to keep putting on and off and too fussy for my lack patients!
ski holidays
When I was 15 we lived in Germany and my old man who was a bit of a tightwad thought he had lucked in by buying me a cheap pair of skis off the shelf in a German supermarket. I can't even recall if they had a brand name I just remember the long hike back from the bottom of the hill after both bindings came clean off the skis on their first and last ever run snowHead
latest report
gatecrasher wrote:
Scarpa, rjs, I personally found them a b*tch to keep putting on and off and too fussy for my lack patients!

Everyone knows that you need to stretch 'em over a door handle for a few days before use rolling eyes wink
ski holidays
spyderjon, damn missed that in the instructions, still I won't be buying another pair! snowHead
snow report
Black Diamond Quadrant boots, made by Tescos I think. Mad
snow conditions
Peru beanies with the ear flaps and Pippie Longstocking style things hanging off them.

When I picked up too much speed on the slope the flaps would catch the wind, tearing the hat off my head, leaving it behind on the slope. I had to tie the danged thing under my chin after about the fifth time sidestepping back up the hill to collect my hat - sending me straight to gaperdom. Hat went in the bin at the end of that day.

Edited for the atrocious early morning typos

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 10-09-11 13:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Zero-G, I used to like those until chavs discovered them.
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:
I used to like those until chavs discovered them.

I just can't imagine you wearing one of those! Laughing
snow report
Oakley Goggles. Utter rubbish just when you need them.

Map case that went brittle and fell to bits within a week.

skimottaret, What was the problem with your Tracker ? Mine seems to do what it says on the tin.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., me 2. Perfectly happy with it.
latest report
Zero-G, Only wear it when i want to take the old nova with the big exhaust out for a bit of looting.

achilles, AndAnotherThing.., I reckon it's important to note that many things in a thread like this are crap to one user but may be the dogs nuts to the next person. (dogs nuts = good)
snow report
Dot., agreed - Oakley goggles = fab
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rossignol Soft Ski Boots. NOt at all comfortable, bruised both my toes. Replaced a pair of Rossi boots in the same size, but I ended up selling them on ebay.

and cat tracks. I can't pull the things onto my boots, although hubby uses his all the time.
snow report
crap = any sort of ski carrying nonsense - the little bag you put over your shoulder, the clips with hookie things,
ski holidays
Dot. wrote:
(dogs nuts = good)

You never I never quite understood this term, what are so great about dogs nuts? Cats nuts... now we're cooking!

(Speaking metaphorically before someone picks up the receiver to call the RSPCA)
snow report
Cat Tracks - If you add a short rope loop, you can fit them easily with one hand.
snow report
Bought a fleece with a waterproof lining. Duh... should have bought a waterproof outer with a fleecy lining. Just got wet on the outside and sweaty on the inside. Didn't see that one coming... rolling eyes

And I had some of them stretchy race-style ski pants which I wore for about 5-6 years until the OH pointed out that a) I am not a ski racer and b) no one wants to see my old fella on the ski slopes. rolling eyes rolling eyes

Oh yeah, and the same time I scrapped the ski pants, the Briko wrap-arounds were retired. It was a big shock when the 80s ended you know, hard to let it go...
snow report
Iphone 3gs for any kind of portable gps application, battery just doesn't last long enough

Thermic boot warmers, they are great until the battery pack switch suddenly goes onto the highest setting without you doing it, must be the vibration (note to self take some narrow gaffer tape to secure switch ) Wow it is too HOT and burns the soles of your feet and takes ages to cool down.

Zardoz Notwax (if you expect it to last for the claimed 3 days)

Neoprene ski mask, makes your goggles mist up

Leki clip in poles, never had a problem until someone took a liking to them.

Oakley goggles, utter rubbish !!. Noooo
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:
I reckon it's important to note that many things in a thread like this are crap to one user but may be the dogs nuts to the next person. (dogs nuts = good)

For sure. These are big brands and sell a lot of units. People mostly like them. But feedback on the Tracker is especially interesting as I'll probably be relying on my mates using one to find me should things go bad ... Skullie
snow report
Dot. wrote:
I reckon it's important to note that many things in a thread like this are crap to one user but may be the dogs nuts to the next person. (dogs nuts = good)

except any ski carrying device which are crap for all Very Happy I have 2 different ones buried in a cupboard.

A pair of Rossignol trousers I had managed to split from crutch to knee in one day, absolute rubbish. What made things worse was that I was in Zermatt, not the cheapest place to replace them.
snow report
Kel,
Quote:
Zardoz Notwax (if you expect it to last for the claimed 3 days)

I have the workshop pack which I decant -

If it works for ten minutes in slush lower down to save my knees from the stop/stop/start routine when it's warm at the end of the season then it works for me.
Cool
snow report
Ditto Leki clip in Trigger freeze constantly, trigger S loopy version better. Ditto Oakley lenses coating on goggles. Salomon SX90 and the groovy Salomon SX90 equipe in orange.
ski holidays
Quote:

But feedback on the Tracker is especially interesting as I'll probably be relying on my mates using one to find me should things go bad ...

Good when it came out but there are now better things out there. Shedload easier than using legacy stuff like the F1 for a recreational user. I'd class this as a horses for courses thing than something being totally useless.
latest report
Kel wrote:
Neoprene ski mask, makes your goggles mist up

Seconded, Goggles, glasses and probably eyeballs misted up quicker than if i'd been in a kettle.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy