Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which resort - La Taine, La Plagne or Courcheval village?

Poster: A snowHead
we were looking at half-term ,but now considering New Year and looking at some options any thoughts opn the relative merits of these three resorts appreciated ....

snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assume you mean La Tania simonx?

Of the 3, La Tania is probably the quietest (and possibly least expensive), though there are some late evening options, if that's what you're after. I've not stayed in Courchevel, though have skied there. I've also stayed in La Plagne. Anyway, it might be really helpful to know what you're looking for in a resort.

Personally, I like resorts that have at least some life when the sun goes down plus a few eat out options and basic array of shops. All three offer that. All 3 offer access to plenty of piste and off-piste action in Europe's biggest domains.

They are all reasonably high, though at c1450m, La Tania may be the most susceptible in terms of snow coverage, though they do have excellent snow-making gear.

As I say, do advise on what your criteria for a resort is and perhaps some detailed response may be forthcoming.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
simonx, La Tania wink but we're full at New Year......and Half Term Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 9-09-11 18:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
simonx, I would pick La Tania. Pretty easy to get into the whole of 3 valleys from there and not as pricey as Courchevel which will probably starting to fill uop with Russians ready for their New Year
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simonx, If you stay in Champagny you can ski in La Plagne and have a few days in Courchevel, it is only a 20 minute drive to Courchevel Le Praz or La Tania.

Like Anniepen we are booked for New Year and February half term (11th to 18th Feb) but know of other privately owned accommodation in the village that is still available.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ps looking at fully catered options in these resorts so cost wise only need to worry about on the slopes and probably one meal out - which doesn't sound bad but one can even get nervous about the cost of a single meal for 4 once you've eaten in Les Arc 1950 Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
simonx, on that basis I think I'd go for Courchevel.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What do you mean by 'Courchevel village'? There are four of them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
having stayed in both La Tania and Le Praz (Courchevel 1300) i'd pick Le Praz. Proper village with choice of bars and restaurants and all a stroll to a choice of two bubbles up to 1850. Nowt wrong with La Tania tho.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Le Praz and stay at Les Peupliers if in your price range, superb. The runs down Jockeys and Jean Blanc are a joy at the end of the day with Brigues as a challenging red when others are closed. Courchevel is the star of the 3 valleys, the snow is such that one can ski very good off-piste, bumps, park and couloir without leaving it. Just throwing in Bistro Le Praz, good ski shops and a lesser pricey way to have access to 1850 in minutes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi simonx,

If you're looking at catered options I'd probably veer towards La Plagne - although I'm probably biased as that's where we're based. The 3 valleys tends to book up very quickly over the holidays as you can see from the thread.

Depending on your group size we've still got some half term and new year availability if that helps - link in my tag line.

With best wishes,
Heather
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:

"The ski resort of Courchevel is located within the world famous 3 Valley ski area, one of the worlds largest ski areas. It comprises 5 ski resorts - Courchevel, Meribel, Les Menuires, Val Thorens and La Tania. "
The one in bold Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking at packages with Silver Ski since independent flights too expensive now.
Main interest is accessibilty to great skiing.
Veering towards La Tania
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
simonx wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

"The ski resort of Courchevel is located within the world famous 3 Valley ski area, one of the worlds largest ski areas. It comprises 5 ski resorts - Courchevel, Meribel, Les Menuires, Val Thorens and La Tania. "
The one in bold Happy

Courchevel has 4 separate villages to it Le Praz (Courchevel 1300), Courchevel 1500, Courchevel 1650 and Courchevel 1850 (the posh one). All are quite distinct resorts in the sense of character, style and access to the slopes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
simonx, I presume you have kids or are teachers so you need to go during school hols. Have you thought about the week before xmas? We have a 6 day break 17th - 23rd Dec in La Tania . Not sure on your numbers but we have 4 beds for half term and 4 beds at New Year.

La Tania and La Praz are both great, if you have young kids La Tania has the advantage of a traffic free centre and the opportunity for the kids to play around safely in the snow while you enjoy a vin chaud. Laughing
snow report
Unless there has been a 50 m landslide in Courchevel its Courchevel 1550. Then again 1850 is at 1740 as a marketing ploy against Val d'Isere 1850.

Andy
snow conditions
anderoo wrote:
Unless there has been a 50 m landslide in Courchevel its Courchevel 1550. Then again 1850 is at 1740 as a marketing ploy against Val d'Isere 1850.

Andy

Yup typo on my part Embarassed
snow conditions
simonx, Courchevel consists of four villages - Le Praz, 1550, 1600 and 1800. They're all different (eg Le Praz has old fashioned village feel, 1800 is full of oligarchs and spolit slebs). Which is wy I asked.
snow report
BUT - wherever you are, the Courchevel valley has a terrific range of skiing for all abilities. The only bit I've actually stayed in is 1650, which is one of the best bases in the 3 Valleys I reckon, and often a bit quieter than some of the other areas. the first time I stayed there it also had the best snow in the entire 3 Valleys (it was early January, but a bad year for snow - I didn't go any lower than 1650 so never went to Le Praz or La Tania - it was best to stay high). You can ski to 1850 or hop on a bus. simonx, what resorts have you been before, and what did you like/dislike about them? Knowing that would make it easier to give you helpful advice. I didn't specially like La Plagne but have only spent a week there, in 1800 which was inconvenient (might be better linked now). There are loads of different bases to stay in the resort called, collectively "La Plagne" just as there are 4 different centres in Courchevel. You'll need to be more specific (and sarcasm probably won't help.... as in your reply to Lizzard, above).
ski holidays
pam w, La Plagne 1800 has changed a lot since you were there. Pam, it now has 2 fast
Lifts out and 2 new pistes serving it.
Fwiw IMHO the OP would be best in La Tania check out www.latania.co.uk
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy