Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

rules of the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, to avoid killing someone or getting a lot of people angry with me NehNeh, what are the general rules of the slopes around europe?
Thanks
Alan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thou shalt not wear sunglasses with a helmet.

Thou shalt not use snowblades.

Thou shalt not faff around with your gloves/hat etc in the entrance or exit to a chairlift.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stoppeth not in the middle of the piste, for it is holy, traverseth thyself off to the side.

Eateth not of the yellow snow, for it tastes funny.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlanB1976,

You are responsible for your own safety and that of other skiers and snow boarders. Be aware of people around you and take necessary action to avoid skiing dangerously or causing a hazard to yourself or others.

Control your direction and speed of travel, taking account of the terrain, snow, weather and traffic conditions.

Select an appropriate path. If you are skiing behind someone it’s your responsibility to ski around them without causing any danger to them.

You can over-take from either left or right but you must leave enough distance between yourself and other skiers to allow them to manoeuvre properly.

Before starting off or pulling out you must look up and down the slope and choose an appropriate moment to execute your manoeuvre, so as not to endanger yourself or other skiers.

Avoid stopping at blind corners or narrow or enclosed places unless you have to i.e. you’re injured. In the case of an injury you must vacate the spot as soon as practicable, to avoid further danger (to yourself or others). You should always stop at the side of the piste.

You must always use the side of the piste to walk up or down, whether with or without skis on.

Pay attention to and follow the signs, markings and notices on the piste.

You are obliged by law (maybe in some places - edit: duty bound?) to offer help and assistance in the event of any accident.

You are also obliged by law to give your personal details in the event of an accident, whether you caused it, witnessed it or assisted at it.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 8-09-11 15:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plus what fatbob and Richard_Sideways said
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
here you are http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rules+of+the+slopes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pisseth in the hole for thou thinkest of the others and their slippery boot soles
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:
Thou shalt not wear sunglasses with a helmet.

Thou shalt not use snowblades.

Thou shalt not faff around with your gloves/hat etc in the entrance or exit to a chairlift.

+1 Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John, lol.... I don't get the humour then. I can't miss out on that..... I will always try obey the law and ask the oracle first Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AlanB1976, what holidayloverxx, says however
Quote:

Before starting off or pulling out you must look up and down the slope and choose an appropriate moment to execute your manoeuvre, so as not to endanger yourself or other skiers.

should be top of the list IMHO wherever you are on the slopes

plus if your on a Snowboard try not to sit down by the side of a piste, esp just below a nice jump or roller, as you will find skiers jumping over you, and even a snowboarder or two Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't be on a snowboard, ever Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Skiers code, How very SCGB of you holidayloverxx
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways, but not copied from their website wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You are obliged by law (maybe in some places - edit: duty bound?) to offer help and assistance in the event of any accident.

Remember that one. When Mr L fractured a vertebra last season, not one person stopped to see if he was OK. Worse, some total w@nker stood about and tried to film the rescue, had to be told three times by the pisteur to put the sodding camera down and help. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1) Wear a hemlet if you want, but dont be forced to

2) Dont ever start a thread about snowchains or which side of Geneva airport is the best to hire a car from Very Happy
snow conditions
Lizzard, Seriously with a fractured vertebra I'd consider it a result that no well meaning passer by had tried to "help" me other than in calling qualified rescue personnel. Understand the sentiment though.
snow report
fatbob, b@stards didn't even do that - he had to call them himself. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
When getting off a chair lift, don't ski across the path of the guy next to you.
ski holidays
As instructors we learn to teach the FIS rules http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/insidefis/fisgeneralrules/10fisrules.html
latest report
skilehrer89,
Quote:

How many instructors does it take to screw in a light bulb?..... none we ski instructors screw in ze hot tub!

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
never ski behind a boarder when it is plainly obvious they are about to turn left (normal) and have signaled such intention quite plainly and they are much bigger then you and you are said boarders missus
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Stoppeth not in the middle of the piste.

Corrolary:

People will, and do, stop completely unexpectedly in all kinds of places, all the time, for all kinds of reasons. So be aware of it, keep some distance from others just as you would in a car, and don't bother getting cross about it when it inevitably happens.
latest report
more worried about people getting angry with me when I do stupid things NehNeh
Coming from skiing in Lesotho (South Africa - yes there is skiing there for about 1month on 1 slope right at the top of the mountains) it is absolute mayhem. There are no rules and have hundreds all coming down the same 1 slope, hence asking now about Europe.
snow conditions
AlanB1976, iy's not going to be that bad unless it's 09:30 or 16:00 in a French resort in mid February.
snow conditions
Thou shalt not fart in the bubble lift .
snow report
 cran
cran
don't wear socks that cost more than 7€ a pair
snow conditions
cran, lol..... don't complicate my socks decision Laughing
ski holidays
Congratulations Alan. You have become a temporary meme.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hmmmm..... I don't know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing..... considering I don't know what a "meme" is Confused
snow report
AlanB1976, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=meme
ski holidays
lol..... I'm going to hate you eventually holidayloverxx Wink
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON, Laughing
snow report
Thou shalt not wear a fartbag, lest that thou shalt wear it in an ironic manner, preferably with a monoski to show you were only kidding.
snow conditions
If you are on a snowboard don't sit in the middle of the piste either!

If you are in the middle of a big chair lift when you dismount ski straight ahead until everyone one else has decided where they are going.

When dismounting from a joint T bar determine prior to leaving it who is going first

When stacking up skis on a rack don't position yours so that their removal causes a catostrophic 'falling over' of everyone else's kit

Oh, yes, and if you crash into me and it's your fault be prepared to accept the consequences Laughing
ski holidays
AlanB1976, lol. I'm only kidding. I'm enjoying your threads
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Stoppeth not in the middle of the piste, for it is holy, traverseth thyself off to the side.

Eateth not of the yellow snow, for it tastes funny.

I like these!
latest report
Quote:

AlanB1976, lol. I'm only kidding

I know Wink I laughed at those as I used to run an IT support division for many years and I always wanted to tell my clients that. Now I'm the one being told to look first Razz
latest report
Never stop below a ridge! probably one of the more dangerous and annoying things you can do Wink
ski holidays
Thou shalt not traverse using every inch of the available slope causing a moving roadblock

Thou shalt not wear novelty hats (especially jester ones)

Thou shalt not ask where the moguls are put in the winter (everyone knows they are VW beetles that stay there)

Thou shalt not have a gap between his helmet and goggles

Thou shalt not smack the safety bar on the lift down 2 secs after it departs smacking people on the head

Thou shalt not plant a pole between someone's skis when departing from a chairlift
snow report
The chief thing to remember is: if you have a collision and you were the one coming from behind, you are legally to blame, regardless of how strange or unexpected the actions of the other skier may have been.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy