Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good resort to take a non-skier with me?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Could anyone recommend a ski resort for me that I could take my non-skiing girlfriend with this winter? I've only been once before to La Plagne, and my girl unfortunately cannot ski due to an injury she had years ago.

Where do you think is the best place to go where she wouldn't be bored to tears each day waiting for me to get back from the slopes? Or do you think it's a bad idea?

Any suggestions or opinions welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler - perfect !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pay for her to go on a girl's break somewhere hot then lad's ski trip for you - sorted.

In truth depends how much she's into pottering in shops, coffee bars, going for walks/snowshoeing or swimming/hot tubbing. Places that have a real town like Chamonix or numerous Austrian places can suffice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
concretejungle, Lake Louise, Samoens, Chamonix, Meribel, Murau, Verbier: All have night life and something to do during the day:

Personally I'd suggest option two and take her somewhere else afterwards Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think even the Zermatts, Chamonixs and Kitzbuels of this world would probably get a bit dull after a WHOLE WEEK of idly traipsing about looking in shop windows.

What you need is some company for her, rather than a miraculous choice of resort.

Ski resorts, let's face it, are indescribably boring. Even the ones that aren't.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
Pay for her to go on a girl's break somewhere hot then lad's ski trip for you - sorted.

Or a spa break, girls seem to love them.*

* this is only based on the girls I know, who think £250 a day to sit around and drink herbal tea and have a massage is fun, indeed my other half thinks we should go on a spa break together. Argh!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you can afford Switzerland, then the Jungfrau Region. If you're driving (and she drives) then Chamonix.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val Thorens.

You could give her really powerful binoculars and award her points for whenever she spots you. She should be able to cover quite a few pistes.

Then as there's not much else to do she should be really looking forward to you returning and telling her about the fun you've had.

Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
emwmarine, I hope the OP realises you're joking. VT is a HORRIBLE place, it would be more congenial to stick pins in one's eyes than go there as a non-skier.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi concretejungle,

My advice would be to go somewhere with good ski access but which is a real town/city and not a ski resort so that she can sight-see, museums, shop, walk etc etc.

If you think that she'd be happy being somewhere small Bourg Sainte Maurice is a small market town with funiculair access to Les Arcs. She can take the funiculair up as a non skiier to meet you for lunch / post ski drinks and drive up to various restaurant stops in Les Arcs and La Plagne. On other days she can look round the shops, swim, walk by the river etc. Albetville is about an hours drive away with a cute old town and more shops.

If you think that she'd rather somewhere bigger have a think about Grenoble. There is easy public bus access (but an hour or so drive) to various ski resorts but she has a big town with plenty of sightseeing to explore.

Annecy is somewhere between the two - it's a smaller town and closer to the nearest ski resorts than Grenoble but still plenty for a tourist to do. The nearby resorts aren't huge but if you take a car you can make the 3 valleys in just over an hour so you could mix and match.

Happy planning!
Heather
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
concretejungle,Welcome to the Madhouse!! Hi, how old are you and what do you both like doing? Im in exactly the same situation as you, except my other half doesnt drive (not a great combination). We could both book the same resort at the same time, "accidently" bump into each other in a bar at resort on the first night then boom!!!Get chatting, find out that we are both in the "same situation". They stick together in the town whilst me and you live it up on the slopes!!! Just a suggestion! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Annecy is somewhere between the two - if you take a car you can make the 3 valleys in just over an hour

I would describe that as 'optimistic' I must say.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica wrote:
emwmarine, I hope the OP realises you're joking. VT is a HORRIBLE place, it would be more congenial to stick pins in one's eyes than go there as a non-skier.

I would hope the OP realised I was joking. I would stay somewhere nice like Annecy and rent a car to do the odd short day trip ski session. Otherwise the significant other will get very bored.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Annecy is a very nice town but frankly, often rather dismal in the winter, just wet and cold, but no snow. And quite a way from skiing. Also, the idea that anyone would make a special holiday trip to Albertville, or that the likes of Meribel have lots of nice things to do in the day is, frankly, laughable. I once had to spend two hours killing time in Albertville and I just about managed it. When it's rained incessantly for days, we sometimes go there in desperation, and have a laugh at the ghastly stuff on sale in the Troc.

Unless the GF has significant resources of her own, which would enable her to enjoy time spent reading, walking in the mountains (suitably clad and shod) an entire week even in one of the genuinely nice ski towns might be a bit of a stretch. I have a sister in law who spent a week pottering, doing her tapestry, reading, looking at the shops, but it was a pretty dull week for her and the next time her old man went skiing, she had the sense to stay at home.

And what about the person we're all discussing? Does she want to go? What kind of things has she said she'll be looking for?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w,
Quote:

enjoy time spent reading, walking in the mountains (suitably clad and shod)
My ex, who doesn't ski, did exactly that. He did a lot of walking around Chamonix, plus some exploring in the car, which is easy to do from there, as it's so near big roads. And, on several holidays based in Wengen, he whizzed around on the trains a lot. In both places, meeting the skiers for lunch was easy - I'd say it was important to be able to do that. But, for sure, the non-skier has to be self-sufficient and fond of just pottering! Oh, and he never went anywhere without a book in his pocket.
snow conditions
concretejungle, agree on Anncey -It's a pretty town, good food and worth a trip but it kinda lacks soul and it would drive me crazy after 24hours - it does from time to time have the odd electro gig in summer although I've not come across any in winter: I have younger friends down there as mature students and they commute back towards Geneva for a more active social life and of course MTB/Skiing!

The ONLY place I could honestly recommend is Nice, and really I can't think why I didn't mention it before as we own property there and there really is loads to see and do.

Many of the ski resorts in that area go up to 2600m so depending upon the time of year, you have as good a chance of snow there as in most places in the Alpes. Coaches run from the Gare routiere up to Isola 2000 and Auron, plus a few of the other half dozen or so resorts within <2 hours drive. They often provide the journey and lift pass as a package which is fantastic value. See link= http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Nice.html

If that interests you, I can provide an extensive list of museums, art galleries, trips, bars, etc. Walking, cycling and even sitting on the beach on a bright day is possible. I've been in the Cours Saleya f, bright sunshine, blue skies and tee shirts for breakfast and then driven up through the Var to Samoens and encountered heavy snow just 30 mins north of Nice.

BTW: If you girlfriend gets bored in Nice then there really is no hope, so take her to Cancun instead!
snowHead
ski holidays
Following on from Pedantica, I'd recommend Wengen, cost permitting. Wonderfully atmospheric, the Jungfraujoch is a great (if expensive) outing, Lauterbrunnen has plenty of shops - and the other Jungfrau resorts also would make pleasant days out. Interlaken isn't all that far away, come to that. The trains link everything beautifully - and offer wonderful views. Beware that the strength of the ChF will make prices stunningly expensive.
snow conditions
Hi
What about the Dolomites - walking, snowshoeing all very possible. My wife does not ski and we had several holidays with Colletts in Pedraces - the nice thing about that company is that they not only lead a daily ski group, there is also a led walk and snowshoe group. So, partner has company and activity in a beatiful area, you get to to ski in a fantastic area - the selle ronda has got to be on a skiers bucket list. In the evening charming chalet, lovely food and company that was usually devoid of the more pretentious boors that one can sometimes encounter in chalet environments. Colletts are well spoken of here (and not only by me). Fly into Venice or Frankfurt (brownie points to be scored if you can make the time to take the best beloved to that lovely city too). Colletts will do transfers from Venice too, we always found the staff to be charming and delightfully helpful. PM if you want more info.

Ian
latest report
concretejungle, Taking a non skier on your ski holiday is flirting with disaster, it's likely that neither of you will have a good time. But if you must there are some good suggestions above. Dont do it you know it makes sense wink
ski holidays
I would say there is no such thing as a good ski resort to take a non-skiier to. Don't do it as neither of you will have a good time, especially if its just the two of you.

You will end up spending time not skiing to spend time with her and wish you were skiing, she will spend the whole time on her own bored as even in the best small town type resorts there is nothing to do that isn't snow based.

The only way this can work is if she is the type of person who would relish a week on her own to spend reading, with the odd cold walk thrown in for some fresh air. And if this is the case any resort will do the trick, the accommodation is more important as she will be spending a lot of time there. I'd go for a chalet as then you will have a lounge to sit in and a kitchen for cups of tea. There is nothing more depressing than sitting in a hotel room on your own and sitting at a coffee shop in a ski resort all day could get expensive.
ski holidays
Ian Kenvyn,
Quote:

not only lead a daily ski group, there is also a led walk and snowshoe group
What a brilliant idea!
ski holidays
Flet©h, Totally agree.
snow report
You could always get her some work in the chalet or local bar, that way everyones a winner. She can chip in for the holiday she doesnt get bored and you can ski to your hearts content. wink wink wink
ski holidays
There was me thinking that mountains had spectacular scenery, fresh air and a whole host of other reasons people might want to spend time there. Apparently not, you can only have a good time in the mountains if you are skiing (or boarding). A number of people at the hotel I stayed at this year must of had a really rubbish time since they didn't go out skiing or snowboarding at all. My wife must have been lying when she said she had a great time and I obviously forced her, against her will, to go back again next year. rolling eyes

The Swiss places I've been to (Arosa, Saas Fee) have been excellent for non skiers. The walking trails in the Saas valley, for example, are very extensive and attract a large number of walkers in winter. There are other things to do as well of course, ice skating, swimming, toboganning to name but 3. Saas Fee has an alpine roller coaster, for example, which is great fun.

Perhaps instead of thinking about one thing your girlfriend wouldn't like to do, in this case skiing, think about what she would like to do or might fancy trying. Suppose she'd like to try hang gliding for example. I'd bet at least one snowHead could recommend a place where you could ski and she could learn to hang glide.
snow conditions
bedfordblue, lol..... I would love to be a fly on the wall when he starts that suggestion.
latest report
AlanB1976, Despite the fact that your are a "newbie/novice" you already have that solution cracked for yourself haven't you? Puzzled
snow conditions
concretejungle, I'm a huge fan of St Gervais, in the Evasion Mont Blanc. The skiing is excellent, but for non-skiers, it's a lovely 'real' town with shops and cafes and bars, spectacular scenery that you don't have to be skiing to appreciate, and it's also a spa town with a very well-regarded spa facility. She could take the gondola up to meet you for lunch or a drink at the end of the day too - couple of nice restaurants and bars at the top of the gondola. Only an hour or so from Geneva too
ski holidays
Jivebaby, hell, the amount of shuffling I've had to do with my trips, I still don't even know what is happening NehNeh . From the start of 1 group trip to 1 trip with my wife to 1 boys trip, 1 on my own and a promise to the wife on a trip next year (plus many other holidays that are going to cost me a fortune).
I'm keeping a close eye on here for advice for the wife's trip next year Wink

p.s. Just a thought from my side. My wife doesn't do the sking thing too much either. She does however enjoy other related snow activities. Why not go for a place where there are tobogganing/tube runs etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alanb1976 Its a gamble you would have to keep an eye out for the local Gigolo. Cracking idea though dont you think to top it all get her to massage your aching body at the end of a hard days skiing.
latest report
concretejungle, is she going on the holiday to just spend time with you, or does want to go on the trip to spend time in the mountains? If it's to spend time with you, then she probably won't have a great time if you're out skiing all day and she's trying to fill her time looking at limited shops (what would you actually be buying even in a ski resort that has a comparatively large number of shops?) or going on solitary walks, counting down the hours til you get back. If it's because she actually wants to spend time in the mountains - and as Lager points out, the wintery mountains are beautiful and an idyllic place for some to get away from it all and snowshoe, sightsee, sledge or simply read and relax - why not suggest she searches around to find some places she likes the look of and then ask snowHeads which of her top choices will be best for your skiing?
latest report
I'd suggest the historic town of Briançon with its bubble link into Serre Chevalier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian%C3%A7on
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=44.899417,6.64175&spn=0.038363,0.104628&t=m&z=14

It's a descent sized town with plenty of old stuff to look at and SerrChe is a nice resort. Other resorts of Montgenèvre, Puy-Saint-Vincent and La Grave are within easy reach too. But, depending on your tastes, you might get tired of the bubble ride.
snow report
Lager wrote:
There was me thinking that mountains had spectacular scenery, fresh air and a whole host of other reasons people might want to spend time there. Apparently not, you can only have a good time in the mountains if you are skiing (or boarding). A number of people at the hotel I stayed at this year must of had a really rubbish time since they didn't go out skiing or snowboarding at all. My wife must have been lying when she said she had a great time and I obviously forced her, against her will, to go back again next year.
But did she do those things on her own? I think it is probably very unusual to find someone who would be happy spend a whole week on their own because the scenery is nice. If your wife is one of those few people then you are very fortunate. Since the OP is asking for a resort with things to do it probably suggests his girlfriend might not be happy with that
ski holidays
There are many resorts as mentioned that will be better than others, many of which are mentioned above. If your girlfriend is content in her own company then maybe it would be OK or choose a nice hotel with good leusire facilities such as pools, gym, spa etc. I really wanted to do a Stag Ski holiday but I knew it would mean leaving quite a few people out who either couldn't ski or didn't want the expense of getting the gear etc for one trip. They could have sat about during the day got drunk or whatever and it would have probably been a good laugh so long as there were a few non-skiers.

Lukcily I'm pretty selfish so I thought forget them I'll do something else closer to home when I get back-I want to ski!
ski holidays
Quote:

The only way this can work is if she is the type of person who would relish a week on her own to spend reading, with the odd cold walk thrown in for some fresh air. And if this is the case any resort will do the trick, the accommodation is more important as she will be spending a lot of time there. I'd go for a chalet as then you will have a lounge to sit in and a kitchen for cups of tea. There is nothing more depressing than sitting in a hotel room on your own and sitting at a coffee shop in a ski resort all day could get expensive.

Completely agree. A week reading in a hotel room. Shocked

I would have no problem spending a week pottering round mountains, joining some organised walks and snow-shoeing, and reading. I wouldn't need any "entertainment" and I certainly wouldn't need any fancy shops (whistling marmottes or improbably expensive underwear, anybody?) but I WOULD need comfortable and attractive surroundings and - crucially - somewhere to make a cup of tea and a snack, or fix myself a gin and tonic. I would also enjoy shopping and cooking a good evening meal for my skiing partner, though I'd expect him to do the washing up. wink

But that's me - I spend 4 months a year in a tiny apartment in the mountains, often with no shops, bars or restaurants open within a 20 minute drive. Most people probably wouldn't enjoy it (and I'd enjoy it much less on my own, too).
latest report
Obviously there is more to do in a ski resort/town besides skiing. I can think of snowshoeing, cross-counrty skiing, swimming, shopping, paragliding, tobogganing, husky sledding...

In Austria Bad Gastein and Lech would be safe bets (http://www.lech-zuers.at/xxl/_lang/en/_season/at2/_area/585615/index.html)
snow report
concretejungle, so 'in a nutshell', we don't know your girlfriend so it could be fine or it might not Toofy Grin

Personally I would always go to the mountains even if I wasn't able to ski ( Shocked ) as I would be happy to spend the daytime on my own (walking, reading etc and would like to be able to walk to a reasonably nice village with a small selection of shops and cafes). The crucial thing for me would be the weather. Never guaranteed of course, but I do like sitting in the sun so would choose to go March or later to try and get some Very Happy
snow report
We are in a small village here - no swimming pool, tourist shops or ice rink accessible without a car - so really not suggesting this place for the OP's girlfriend. However, on the more general discussion of why people go to the mountains in winter if they're not skiing...

We've had a fair few couples here, and groups, with one non-skier who've said they'd had a great time (and repeat booked). Some are very active and are out snowshoeing and walking every day, others are just genuinely happy to be in an area of natural beauty and to go for the odd walk and mooch about a French village eating cheese and drinking wine, but generally just spending time reading and soaking up the views and then enjoying drinks and dinners in the evening with their friends or partner.

I've done it myself although for me it was a surfing holiday in Cornwall. I tried surfing for the first two days and just hated it (which was a surprise as I was expecting to be crap at it but still enjoy the challenge/exercise). I spent the rest of the week on my own during the day, reading all those books I hadn't had time to read and going for a walk with my camera, and then enjoying dinner and drinks back at the cottage or in the local pub with everyone else. It was such a fun holiday we did it again the following year, although that time I didn't even bother trying to surf! Getting out of the city and going somewhere completely different - pretty, cosy and relaxing - with my friends was what that holiday was all about for me... even the UK "summer" weather didn't put bother me (and actually made me even happier to be curled up on the sofa with a good book looking at the sea, but not having to be in it)!
snow report
I would suggest Serre Chevalier - it is a string of villages along a valley bottom, each of which has access to the whole ski area. Briancon is at one end - reasonable sized town with old walled area, shopping, etc. Monetier at the other end of the valley has a fantastic hot spring and thermal baths - you can lie in the outdoor heated pool and look up at the snowy mountains. There is a bus service up and down the valley throughout the day so it's easy to get around.

Also most of the villages have a bubble link up to the skiing areas so it would be easy for you to meet up for lunch, even if she's not skiing.

Ski area is fairly extensive too and has something for most skiers.
snow report
+1 for Dr George's suggestion of Serre Che. There are other activities like ice-skating and paragliding. There also used to be (and may well still be) a converted piste basher for passenger tours around some of the mountains above Villeneuve IIRC.
snow report
achilles wrote:
Following on from Pedantica, I'd recommend Wengen, cost permitting. Wonderfully atmospheric, the Jungfraujoch is a great (if expensive) outing, Lauterbrunnen has plenty of shops - and the other Jungfrau resorts also would make pleasant days out. Interlaken isn't all that far away, come to that. The trains link everything beautifully - and offer wonderful views. Beware that the strength of the ChF will make prices stunningly expensive.

achilles I didn't think there were that many shops in Lauterbrunnen (it is quite small after all). Did you mean to say Interlaken (which has got plenty of shops)? Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy