Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fuel station to top up hire car - GVA French Side

Poster: A snowHead
I know there has been an extensive debate about car hire out of GVA - until now we have hired out of the Swiss side, but the cost difference with going out of the French sector has prompted a change. I can deal with the navigation issues, but does anyone know if there is a fuel station near the airport (because the AGIP at the WTC makes topping up before a Swiss-side drop off very easy).

Going out in October to our apartment to service the skis and make the appropriate scrifices to the mountain spirits for a good season. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pre exchange rate variations, fuel was always cheaper on the swiss side of borders which meant that there are few fuel stations in France close to the border. French locals would drive across, fill up and return. If you are driving thru Geneva back to the French side of the airport there are fuel stations on the Rue de Ferney, Grand Saxonnex, just before the border
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Assuming you're crossing over from CH to FR side there's a petrol station just a bit further down road into Ferney Voltaire after the hire car turn back into airport.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, +1 its a BP
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At least 2 petrol stations just a little down the Avenue Louis-Casai, the main road into Geneva, immediately opposite the main entrance to the airport.

My group often hire from the French side. But we immediately cross into Switzerland through the tunnel under the north-east tip of the airport, because it's more convenient than exiting through Ferney-Voltaire and France. And you can get round the airport and through Geneva without needing to go on a motorway, which requires the vignet. Lots of petrol stations in Geneva but at least two in the Avenue Louis-Casai as you make your final approach to the airport.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As said there's a BP just over the border on the RHS or up at the roundabout take 1st exit and there's a carrefour with fuel station there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ian Kenvyn, Both diesel and petrol were cheaper in France last week, when I based everything on 1.15 :
It will now be so marginal not to be worth the bother, especially if you are entirely Euro based then buy it in France. NOTE the Garages in/around Geneva mostly offer very poor rates for crossing the two local currencies over.

As fatbob, say, the Garage is on the RHS around 100m after the Douane. Once topped up you can either slot across the road or do a U turn at the Ferney Voltaire roundabout as the French back entrance is immediately (just 20m) after the Douane.

BTW -Check what time your flight arrives as they close an hour earlier than the Swiss side! If in doubt, it's worth the driver going through solo to pick the car up and meeting family and bags on the Swiss side to save dragging them round wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
this report from the AA shows petrol and diesel cheaper in France http://www.theaa.com/onlinenews/allaboutcars/fuel/2011/august2011-overseas.pdf
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BergenBergen, Your link is for August, but the answer is the same Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I tend to dive off the A40 at the Annemasse turning and use the petrol station that is just up the road (pass MuckDonalds and shoppping centre on the right and its about 150m up on the left). 2 minute easy detour and your car will still be "full" when you get to the airport ... depending on how lost you get finding the French side of it. By my reckoning it is about here: http://bit.ly/nLssai
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ctskifam, That would be fine for me on my way to Samowns but forIan Kenvyn,
on his way to Landry it could be a bit of a mission Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jivebaby, good point well made!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Snowheads - info useful as ever. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ctskifam, Actually if you mean the Migros exit which I think may have a MacD's then you could be right. I'm thinking of the one on the way to rte de Thonon at the roundabout. In which case youse be spot on Embarassed
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
These might help:

http://www.gralon.net/prix-carburant/prix-carburant-ferney-voltaire-275.htm
http://www.les-horaires.fr/01210/Ferney-Voltaire/Services/Stations-essences/
ski holidays
The BP garage just after the border is the easiest option.

If you are not in a hurry, you can buy petrol at the Leclerc hypermarket in Ferney Voltaire, they also have a cafe with a reasonable selection if you are hungry or thirsty and don't fancy paying airport prices (6 euros for a small glass of red wine!!!).
Go through customs into France, turn left at the roundabout and it is a 2 minute drive. The entrance is opposite the Novotel / F1 hotels.
When I was there in August it was very busy with Swiss filling up there so I assume petrol and diesel are cheaper in France at the moment.
ski holidays
Sorry, but please can I ask a dim question? I've never hired on the French side, but am going to do so in March. I am much confused by this talk of borders, particularly when I look at these instructions on the Geneva Airport website
http://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf
I'll be coming from Annecy and their Route C is expressed as though it doesn't go into Swiss territory at all, whereas some of you are talking as though you do go into Switzerland (but presumably not on to a Swiss motoroway, because you'd need a vignette to do so.) Please could someone clarify what the route actually is, assuming one doesn't want to buy a vignette? Thank you very much.
snow report
Pedantica, the "avoiding swiss territory" route is a pain, and the only reason to do it would be for people without entry papers for Switzerland. If you don't want to buy a vignette you need the yellow route (b) which is the shortest, but does mean driving through the centre of Geneva (not normally much of a problem). The vignette route is by far the most straightforward.
ski holidays
pam w, thanks. I have driven in the centre of Geneva a few times. It seemed pretty well signposted. If I take the vignette route, do I buy it at the border? (Sorry for these basic questions. Embarassed)
latest report
pam w, but the yellow route is to/from the Swiss side of the airport. Puzzled Puzzled So, for French car hire, one can't follow the yellow route all the way. Sorry, this is making my brain hurt.
snow conditions
Quote:

but the yellow route is to/from the Swiss side of the airport.

yes, but doesn't need you to drive on the motorway - you just dive down into Geneva, towards the Lake.
snow report
Pedantica, to answer an earlier question, when you come out of the long barbed-wired road from the French sector into Ferney Voltaire the border is immediately on your right - you could buy a vignette there.
snow conditions
pam w, but what if I want to start and finish on the French side of the airport, because that's where I've hired the car? Where do I cross from France into Switzerland (and vice versa on the way back)?
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

when you come out of the long barbed-wired road from the French sector into Ferney Voltaire the border is immediately on your right
so you're saying the place one crosses is Ferney-Voltaire in any event? Whereas the yellow route on the airport map says Perly. (Perhaps I would find all this easier if the airport map were on a bigger scale and I hadn't just had an eye operation. rolling eyes)
snow report
Pedantica, you cross INTO Switzerland at Ferney (and then drive right past the Swiss/international side of the airport) and then back out of Switzerland and into France at Perly. The Perly Gates, I always think....
ski holidays
pam w, ah. That makes sense. Thank you!
snow report
Pedantica, Much simpler to fly into Lyon or Grenoble Very Happy
latest report
boredsurfin, thanks, but we've already got our plane tickets. I like the drive from Geneva.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, I'm tempted to try the French hire and route for our October half term but Lyon is possibly less stressful. The thought of paying £25.00+ for a vignette just because we miss a road sign is a bit much....
snow report
But the chance of a strike in Geneva is just about nil......
snow report
boredsurfin,
Quote:
thought of paying £25.00+ for a vignette just because we miss a road sign is a bit much....
That's what Sat Nav is for!
More tot he point £25 on a one off toll Versus £1000 per person on a ski holiday: Assuming you are travelling solo and your trip this would make that 2.5% of your trip cost for peace of mind in the event you take the wrong junction.

If there's 4 of you make that 0.625% and if the average total cost is as low as £800 make it 0.78% pass £250/Accom £250/Flights £150/Beer £5/Food £35 (the last two are way too low)

Pedantica, You seem to be enduring a very convoluted discussion on the Vig. Normally it's incredibly unlikely they wills top you driven out of Switzerland for a Viginette. I'm sure someone will attest that they've seen that happen but I never have. Driving back into Geneva from France on the autoroute you have a very high chance of being pulled over and you buy the Vig on the spot from the booth. You park up and it takes around 5-10 mins which if you're running late could be an issue, so leave extra time. I have personally driven through a few times that way without being stopped but most, in fact nearly always you will be caught. Set your Sat Nav to non motorway and then once in France re-set back to Tolls. You didn't actually say where you will be skiing which can make a difference to what route you need!

If you need details I'm happy to explain via PM rather than in on this post as it's just way too tedious. I keep a car, garaged in Petit Sacconex which saves time and works out far cheaper as I have less wear and tear, no tolls, and less fuel to buy. Plus its hugely convenient. If you do it a dozen or so times a year it becomes second nature, but there will always be someone who did it once, maybe in summer twenty years ago that still knows better but nevertheless makes the effort to share that knowledge. Hopefully I'd be too embarrassed to do that Embarassed
snow report
Jivebaby, that's really kind, but I think I've got the route in my mind now, which is - outwards, from the French side of the airport - over the border into Switzerland at Ferney-Voltaire, past the Swiss side of the airport, towards Lancy, then Plan-des-Ouates, back into France at Perly, N201 to St Julien, where we pick up signs for the A40 to Annecy etc. (I'm going to Les Arcs, and I like the Annecy route in preference to the Chambery one.) My plan already was to set my sat-nav, first of all, to Lancy and take the non-toll option. Hope that makes sense. My problem was trying to plan my route using the Geneva airport map, but without the benefit of a decent road map in front of me. (I still don't have the latter, but aim to rectify that before I go!)

And, on the way back, overshoot the sign to the French side of the airport at F-V, get some petrol at the BP garage, and retrace our steps to that sign.
ski holidays
Quote:

You park up and it takes around 5-10 mins which if you're running late could be an issue, so leave extra time.

or, buy the vignette at the border post in Ferney Voltaire when you arrive - so you will just sail through the border at Bernex on the way back

(actually, you can get held up at Bernex in the morning rush hour, vignette or not).
latest report
or - buy it online before you travel and have it posted to you -

http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/produkttexte.php?passid=5
ski holidays
Pedantica, A cheaper option to buy the vignette is on ebay, you can normally buy unused vignettes for around £15 to £20.

If you are aiming for St Julien en Genevois you can normally travel without a vignette on the swiss motorway (E62/25). From the airport follow the signs to France and take the turn off signposted to Perly ( junction 2 on google maps). Nobody checks for a vignette when you enter the motorway and you exit the motorway before the border controls.
On the way back to the airport, in France on the A41, take the exit signposted to St Julien en Genevois, go through the town and follow the signs for Geneva then Geneva airport. This will bypass the customs post on the motorway and you return to the Swiss motorway (E62/25) at juction 2.
ski holidays
skichampcouk, thanks, but that's not my plan. I may be missing something, but see no reason not to use ordinary roads for that relatively short distance, assuming the route is reasonably obvious.
latest report
Pedantica, no reason why you shouldn't use ordinary roads - just be aware of the geography and ignore all the signs to the airport in its immediate vicinity - even the ones in Ferney Voltaire will take you to the Swiss side. You need to put all thoughts of the airport out of your mind, as you get within a few miles, and navigate to Ferney Voltaire, which is not signposted until you're right on top of it, IIRC - I suspect the Swiss don't approve of spending money on signposting French places! Even the exit of the motorway calls it "Ferney", to save paint. We once filled up three hire cars with petrol (a big party.....) at a garage on the north side of Gva, not that far from the airport, and I almost started a fight asking the best way to the French sector. Two equally confident guys gave me two completely different sets of directions - I decided to follow the guy I understood the best (he was foreign, maybe Italian, and his accent was easier to follow - you'd have no problem, as you speak French). I'd say that it would be best to download a google maps map of the area, not just rely on that airport one. Yes, it's not rocket science, but it's also the case that a stressful, late, dash to get cars back to the French side when you're tight for time has made grown men weep. I met one once - a big Aussie, with 3 small kids......pitiful. Laughing

skichampcouk, that's all very well, provided you're willing to run the risk of the stiff fine for being on the motorway without a vignette. Yes, the chances of getting caught are fairly slim, but it remains something to be aware of. If there's some kind of hold up - an RTA for example - you might get unlucky and I suspect Swiss policemen would really enjoy catching somebody who thought they'd get away with it by by-passing the border crossing at bardonnex. wink

I'd agree with jivebaby - why waste precious holiday time and mental energy saving such a relatively small sum?? Travelling to and from the airport without using the Swiss motorway is fairly straightforward. Travelling to and from the French sector, using the Swiss motorway, is also fairly straightforward once you've grasped the need to go off at the Ferney exit and ignore signs to the airport. But the French sector without using the motorway? That's just showing off. wink
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

I'd agree with jivebaby - why waste precious holiday time and mental energy saving such a relatively small sum?? Travelling to and from the airport without using the Swiss motorway is fairly straightforward. Travelling to and from the French sector, using the Swiss motorway, is also fairly straightforward once you've grasped the need to go off at the Ferney exit and ignore signs to the airport. But the French sector without using the motorway? That's just showing off.
That is indeed a good point.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy