Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Just a quickie, tried searching but couldn't get a definitive response.

From your experience, on a good day (i.e. early morning Sunday, no snow on roads), how long does it take to drive from Calais to Tignes, stopping only for fuel and loo breaks?

(have driven to resorts before so understand all that goes with it).

Thanks,

Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
13/14 hours (Starting in Hampshire)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks BoredSurfin.

How much of that is on the other side?

(difficult friends need exact figures!!! Confused )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
9 hours ex Calais
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
9 hours 30 minutes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shaky, From Eurotunnel 9 /1o hours.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
difficult friends need exact figures!!!

Are you sure you want to be stuck in a car with people like this for that long?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From Calais 9 hours including a half hour for lunch, driver swaps at petrol stations etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys.

Guvnor, easy way to deal with that. Send them in the car and I'll fly. That way they can stay sober and argue over whatever they want...

Sadly it does make the difference between getting an extra day's skiing in as some of us have a black tie dinner in Kent the night before and are trying to figure if we can make it to the slopes direct from there! (as opposed to flying at 8am)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Train from ashford international?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From your experience, on a good day (i.e. early morning Sunday, no snow on roads), how long does it take to drive from Calais to Tignes, stopping only for fuel and loo breaks

Did Zebrugge to Bourg St Maurice in 8hr 40min - almost the same distance as from Calais (and much of the same route).
Would have thought 10 hours was be reasonable. That is cruising at or near the speed limit.

Didn't need to refuel as our lovely diesel passat will do Leeds to Bourg on a single tank. You gotta love the French motorway system. The new motoway from north of Lyon to Chamberry has cut a real chunk off the travel time. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
between 9-10 hours would be a good average its just over 600 miles from Calais to Bourg
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i personally conserve fuel and travel at 60mph the whole way and with stops for toilets and food etc allow 12 hours from Calais to Val d'Isere but back in my student days and 80-90mph it can be done at well under 10 hours!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We do Calais to Bourg in about 9hrs so you would probably need to allow 9-10 hours for Tignes.

We stop for coffee, petrol, stretch legs etc but not for long as we take turns to drive.

Happy holidays!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It took us 10 for a 3 day trip to mountainsun in tignes - whilst tignes and mountain sun were great I would never do the drive again for a trip that short. The tollways are so boring and even in an estate with 4 people and boards/skis - it was horrible and cramped. Going was okay because of the excitement, coming back I vowed never to do it again for less than a 10 day trip. We spent approx £300 on petrol and tolls from essex to calais so at least it was cost effective (corssing was about £90rtn).
ski holidays
Ian...whats the road number of that new motorway north of Lyon to Chambery ??

cheers
snow conditions
He could be talking about the A432 extension north from the old A432/A42 junction to the A46. Useful, but only saves 5-10 minutes at most.

The main 14 mile section of A432 that goes round the airport from the A42 to the A43 has been there for at least two years I think.
latest report
julietp, I have done the same and had the same experience... and also to Les Melezes.

If there are 4 of you with boards and skis, it is cost effective to drive and as above, it's easy to do Calais to Tignes in 9 hours with cruise control set at 85.

For a short break it doesn't make sense. We drove through the night going and took it in turns sleeping. When we arrived at 6am, my mates all wanted to go to bed and they missed most of the first day. I went up the hill and was fine as I had slept OK in the car.

Coming home, I slept all the way back but my mates said it was a horrible journey without, as you say, the excitement driving you on.

I would drive there again but not for a 3 day trip.
snow report
so what woudl people say is definitively the best route to Bourg St Maurice.......using the A39 or continuing on to Lyon

CHeers
latest report
The simplest and fastest route to Bourg is via Lyon, using the A432 to skirt Lyon to the east.

The A39 route has two options. The obvious motorway route A39. A40, A41 Annecy, Albertville - has one huge problem, Annecy is always a slow crawl. If you cut the corner using the D1508, you still have Annecy to get through.

My preferred spring/summer/autumn route using the A39 is to cut through to Chambery via Amberieu and Belley. Beautiful scenery on a pleasant day, but I've never done it in the middle of winter. Even though I prefer this route it is slow - towns with speed restrictions - the motorway route via Lyon is over 20 miles longer, but quicker.
snow report
Guess it depends on your definition of a good day. On a REALLY GOOD day:

Calais to Bourg: 8 hours
Bourg to Boisses: 2 hours + due to enormous amounts of snow for your bluebirnd 1st day of riding
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy