Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Toll Fees

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm planning to drive to Valmorel for 3 weeks in Jan 2012.

Can anyone advise what kind of costs I will be looking at for toll fees and can they be paid using UK Credit/Debit cards or am I better paying in cash.

I'm sure someone is also going to advise a good route ( not too much extra time ) using non Toll roads.

Thanks In Advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.viamichelin.fr/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Super Eagle, General opinion is non toll is a non starter because of the time.
Tolls here...
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1835873&highlight=french+tolls#1835873
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Super Eagle, if there was a route avoiding tolls and not taking too much extra time we wouldn't all be paying £100 or so to use the péage. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have found that ViaMichelin sometimes under estimates the toll costs. It's probable that this is user error on my part rather than anything else.

Interestingly Pam, ViaMichelin is telling me it's about £60 one way for a trip to Les Saisies. I would imagine that's a bit on the low side?
snow conditions
 cran
cran
French tolls are free

http://youtube.com/v/wVZzpcZ1JMY
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feast, on via michelin you need to tell it what size car you are using for the fuel and also check the route, sometimes it assumes you are driving through/across the channel! Put the same info into Google maps and see the difference in mpg mileage and tolls!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Via Michelin data has always been spot on for me. I think the annual toll prices go up each 1 Jan
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We referred to via michelin when we drove to St Gervais this summer and the tolls were spot on. We paid in cash mostly but used credit card once. We never encountered a peage queue of more than 4 cars but they are probably busier on ski changeover days.

If you are looking to cut costs I'd start off with a full tank of petrol and fill up at a hypermarket en route. Buy your lunch at the hypermarket and you will save a few more euros. Also look for the cheapest channel crossing, probably ferry.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Via Michelin a good enough ball park figure, peage will take CC but not usually on right hand side so unless you have a passenger do some stretching exercises during the channel crossing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The cheapest crossing is nearly always Dover - Dunkirk with DFDS (previously Norkfolk Lines), but this is a two hour crossing.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.mappy.com will give optimum routes, estimated fuel costs and toll charges. I always use my Euro debit card for paying tolls after discvering that my Lloyds bank one was taking a 5% plus one pound cut on every transaction. It takes a lot longer and more hassle to pay by cash.

John
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Feast, it's 72.90 euros the way I go - slightly cheaper on the A6 but I try to avoid the A6 which is much busier than the more easterly route past Dijon and Bourg en Bresse.

Quote:

We never encountered a peage queue of more than 4 cars but they are probably busier on ski changeover days.

they certainly can be - miles and miles of stationary traffic, sometimes. when it's like that, having a péage badge doesn't make much difference; you sit in the queue with everyone else until the last minute.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh - and for us, the tunnel is much cheaper, because apart from using Tesco clubcard points, a crossing which took a lot longer would probably mean an overnight stopover, so would be a false economy. We take ham, cheese and salad rolls and some bags of fruit, and stop just for coffees.

I wouldn't waste time chasing round off the péage to find a hypermarket to buy petrol. The marginal saving isn't worth the time lost. I find I can do the journey in one hit provided I don't faff around.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w,
Quote:

I wouldn't waste time chasing round off the péage to find a hypermarket to buy petrol. The marginal saving isn't worth the time lost. I find I can do the journey in one hit provided I don't faff around.

If you can get to Chambery on one tank the Hyper market petrol station is just off the motorway after the toll booths. (Assuming you are going via Chambery of course!)
latest report
I go via geneva, not Chambery. I generally fill up at the hypermarket in Sallanches, before driving up the mountain (there are no petrol stations in our neck of the woods; doesn't do to let the tank go too low). We did once decide to just "pop into Dijon and fill up at a supermarket". Big, big, mistake which I'll not repeat.
snow report
There is an enormous LeClerc right next to the new motorway in Reims and we filled up with petrol there on the return journey. There was no detour involved as we were heading off the motorway into Reims for an overnight stop anyway.
ski holidays
There's also fuel stations close to the A4 Epernay exit, and further south at the Nuits St George one on the A6 if you use that route. None involve any extra driving compared to a service station. I would say our attempt at finding one near Langres was a small mistake if it were not for the georgeous cheese I picked up while I was waiting.
ski holidays
Feast, we did the Norfolk line crossing earlier in September as it seemed quite a bit cheaper at the time of booking - we always check them all out and if not much in it then by choice we would use P&O Dover/Calais.
But our recent trip made us think that the not huge saving probably wasn't worth it - disgusting scrambled egg - but having said that when I took it back some more was made freshly and that was fine - OH doggedly ploughed his way through the less savoury first time round version on his plate. And dinner on the way back in the Bistro was ok, but only ok, and for the same price I reckon the food is better on P&O.
Our favoured way of doing it is to take the tunnel over, either rolls etc in the car or stop a bit later for breakfast, which can give us an early start - we are a good two hours drive from Dover - but we do like to take the ferry back if doing the trip in one day - bit of a rest after the drive and hopefully something alright to eat.

And if the price is ok, as it sometimes is, and particularly if I am on my own, then I like to do the Le Havre back to Portsmouth crossing, but those ferries can be very expensive.

Using the tunnel in December - but OH forgot we could use Tesco so he has paid for that in 'real' money. But a P&O for a trip in November.
snow report
Pamski, when we used Norfolkline last Easter, it seemed to make a huge difference to our journey time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, yes, I think we would agree. Just that bit longer on the crossing, and then we went into Majestic to pick up a few bottles of wine in Calais and it seemed like the morning had gone before we went anywhere. Didn't matter particularly as not in a rush but I wouldn't want to do that in the winter and waste precious holiday hours - I have plenty of time to waste nowadays so not an issue.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy