Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please suggest me about tyres

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Friends
rolling eyes
Please suggest me.
Cool
Why we have to use winter tyres for winter season? Summer tyres can't work during winter season?
Puzzled
ski holidays
 cran
cran
hmmm
Madeye-Smiley
yes
rolling eyes
or
Laughing
no
Toofy Grin
it
Confused
depends
Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/reasons-to-consider-winter-tyres.htm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Problem is that the wear rate of winter tyres above 15 centigrade is frightening so you really need two sets of wheels with winter and summer tyres. This is what most people have in scandinavia and the parts of continental europe where winter tyres are mandatory.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
emwmarine wrote:
Problem is that the wear rate of winter tyres above 15 centigrade is frightening so you really need two sets of wheels with winter and summer tyres. This is what most people have in scandinavia and the parts of continental europe where winter tyres are mandatory.
Nope, leave mine on summer and winter. No problem, no excessive wear in summer. Soon about to change set of Vredestein Wintrac after 35,000 miles - they still have about 3mm of tread so in theory I could continue driving on them but their winter effectiveness will be poor now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, quite. I left my Continental WinterContacts on this summer, simply because they had less than 4mm tread, and weren't going to be worth putting back on for another winter. 10,000 miles later, they're still legal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ahticrane,
I put some Hankook optimo 4S on my car last year ( are sold as all season but have all the markings for winter use), they have now done approx 22k miles & think I will get another 8-10K before they hit the 2mm markers. Well reviewed tyre & have performed better than expected through all seasons. Shouldnt cost much more than £100 per corner ( thats for a 225 x 45 x 17 tyre) ; highly recommended.
Mitch
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey friends,
Thanks for your suggestions. Madeye-Smiley Cool

And here i have found one blog which have good information about tyres : http://tyrefansblog.wordpress.com/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have Hankooks got any better? The last pair I bought were not even round
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Totally disagree with emwmarine. Some big Swiss companies keep on snow tyres all winter. Where is the evidence for heavy wear above 15 C. I've never seen any.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, pretty convincing. What is grip and braking like in warm weather?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We fitted a pair of Goodyear vectors to the front of our S-max, then managed to pick up a pair of spare alloys on evilbay. will fit the vectors each winter till the tread is too low to be of any winter use then leave them on for the summer till they reach min tread. 20k is the best we ever get from front tyres, the original fitted goodyear excellences only lasted 14k, 25k on the rear.
Oddly, the S-max on its 225 tyres managed the snow much better than my transit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winter tyres are designed to work below 7 deg c temp. . below that they offer much shorter breaking distance due to the rubber compound, which stays 'soft' at lower temperatures, add that to the tread and they are great in snow, they can be left on all year round, but when the temperature goes above 12 deg or so your breaking distance becomes a lot longer, thats the reason they change back to summer tyres.
some of the best winter tyres come from eastern europe !! they use them a lot more than other countries !!
good place to get them on thenet is www.mytyres.com
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
Bode Swiller, pretty convincing. What is grip and braking like in warm weather?
Well the grip is very grippy (sorry to get technical) and in my view the braking efficiency is no different to summer tyres. I also find no difference in mpg. In fact, all the things people say about wear rate, braking, road noise, mpg I have found not to be true (which is also why I don't wear a helmet).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a course on winter driving with Touring Club of Switzerland and I can't remember the exact figures but snow tyres are much better in winter with regard to braking distance and only marginally worse in the summer. I change mine, but if we ever need new tyres on our little town car which only does 5000 miles a year I'd be tempted to put snow tyres on and leave them if we get more winters like the last two when we've had to dig ourselves out - in Oxford!!
snow report
Quote:
Winter tyres are NOT SNOW TYRES One of the most common reasons we hear as to why winter tyres aren't needed in the UK is because we don't get enough snow. Winter tyres are designed to be more effective than regular tyres in any temperature under 7c (44f) on any type of road. Cold weather tyres are designed with a larger percentage of natural rubber and silica in the compound which doesn't harden up as much as synthetic rubber in cold conditions.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/reasons-to-consider-winter-tyres.htm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy