Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plough to parallel

Poster: A snowHead
My son is doing a BASI course and has to plan a mock lesson, he is asked with teaching the plough parallel progression and is wondering if anyone has any drills that may help. ( I don't understand it by the way)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They teach all the drills on the course! Was he not awake? But off the top of my rusty head matching the skis earlier round the clockface - start at 12, then 11/1 depending on direction, 10/2, 9/3 etc. I assume he's doing BASI 2 which almost no-one fails on teaching technique - tell him not to start a precedent. Sorry if I sound grumpy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Raceplate wrote:
They teach all the drills on the course! Was he not awake? But off the top of my rusty head matching the skis earlier round the clockface - start at 12, then 11/1 depending on direction, 10/2, 9/3 etc. I assume he's doing BASI 2 which almost no-one fails on teaching technique - tell him not to start a precedent. Sorry if I sound grumpy.

He is on the BASI 1 and they all have to plan a lesson, but they have not yet got onto the bit which he is doing hence the question. I think he is being unusually awake and interestedto be honest, more than his normal homework anyway.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar, An interesting question.

If he remembers the usual mantra of Safety, Enjoyment and finally Learning along with "Maximum Class Activity" he won't go far wrong.

I'd be tempted to suggest that he thinks less about specific drills as such, rather find a fun activity that pupils at that stage will enjoy and then justify it to the trainer in relation to the hoped for improvement.

I would make a suggestion or two but that would be cheating wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe it's a test to see if he's read the manual? All the drills are in there too. Anyway, progressive ski matching is suitable IMO.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
He shouldnt worry too much about the L1. By the time I attended my L3 tech and teach there were still plenty of people who didnt know the entire CT and certainly not the entire manual!
As for the lesson, 'matching' earlier in the turn will do, using clockface or timing. Ensuring to remind the student that the choice of line and turn must be used to control speed. You can go back to practising 'bow-tie' movements aswell with or without the ski on, this isnt normally necessary though by this stage but can help.

The manual is good but it is not enough on it own (although I dont own the latest version but expect this still stands) so just remind him to take in everything he can from his piers and from the trainer it will all come in handy down the line. Worth using a pocket size notebook aswell, Ive still got notes lying around from my L1/2's handy little tips so you dont forget whats important when teaching the lower level stuff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the feedback everyone, greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From the friendly Canucks...

http://youtube.com/v/uIezKwIvPPA&NR=1
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not a ski teacher or done any BASI courses, but one observation I've made from beginner friends I've skied with is that having the weight firmly on the outer foot means that sliding the inner one into a more parallel position is far easier - and really just happens. If they still have a lot of weight on the inner ski, it don't happen, not never.

The moment when they feel that shift of weight - like pedalling a bike - is a kind of magic moment. some get it very fast, others don't ever seem to quite get it - obviously not been on the receiving end of the right drills. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
having the weight firmly supported against the outer ski means that sliding the inner one into a more parallel position is far easier - and really just happens. If they still have a lot of weight on the inner ski, it don't happen, not never.

Spot on. The danger of focusing the skiers attention on the inside ski too soon is that it detracts from the one that counts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The equally important ski is the unweighted inner ski, to become pararallel the inner tip is turned away by pivoting the foot, as in the end of the video to match the weighted ski and then the tail is pushed out to start the next turn hence "tips away tails away".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Key things, as others have said, is to be well balanced on the outside ski and to pivot the inside ski around the foot rather than the tip so you don't step them close together as you bring the skis to parallel. Couple of drills to work on these points might be:

1. Can you lift your inside ski as you finish the turn? If you can lift your inside ski can you put it down quietly? If you can lift it and then put it down quietly can you start to lift it earlier in the turn and hold it in the air (not too high) for longer?

2. Ski across the hill in a traverse, and with the uphill ski twist your foot so the tip comes in then goes out without your feet getting close together (quick demo is all that's needed). As an aside, it's interesting how many good skiers have trouble with this one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
The danger of focusing the skiers attention on the inside ski too soon is that it detracts from the one that counts.
Exactly. I don't teach many people at this stage but when I do I almost always have to tell them to ignore the fact that they start some turns with a little plough. They rarely believe me when I say it will magically disappear when they are ready, until the see the video evidence...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ALQ wrote:
From the friendly Canucks...
A lot of those demos had almost no flexion & extension (and one example of the dreaded 'airplane banking').
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
The danger of focusing the skiers attention on the inside ski too soon is that it detracts from the one that counts.
Exactly. I don't teach many people at this stage but when I do I almost always have to tell them to ignore the fact that they start some turns with a little plough. They rarely believe me when I say it will magically disappear when they are ready, until the see the video evidence...

Totally agree; Just focus on the outside ski; get some extension and flex happening; get the force on the outside ski and bingo!!!
latest report
pam w wrote:
having the weight firmly on the outer foot means that sliding the inner one into a more parallel position is far easier

Puzzled

T Bar,
Not going to give any actual drills as I think that what the trainer will be expecting him to come up with. But a good idea would be to have the class practice the rotation of the inner ski under the foot, whilst moving (not sliding them together). In a fridge this could be across the slope doing the drill a couple of time / turn / continue. There are “lots” of drills for doing this in the basi coaching manual, so if he could get hold of a copy of this it would be “really” helpful when looking for ideas.

For the L1, a tip would be (as an exercise) to come up with a drill that encourages the class to rotate the inner ski rather than bringing them together. Or as scooby_simon say, concentrate on the other legs "uping and downing" (if that makes sense).

The MAIN things thing for a drill is to keep it simple, make it "do-able" (pitch it at the right level), keep the class moveing, it should work, at L1 do ONE drill (one only) at a time

I hope he does well and passes with a full set of 6's
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy