Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ACTION-OUTDOORS-UCPA

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I am thinking of using this company over xmas for a ski hol,never used them before I am going on my own because none of my usual ski cronies can go at this time.
Anyone used them before?
I am 50,spoke to them on the phone and they reckon Flaine would be ok for me... do many English people go with them or is it all french and would it be a problem?
What are the plus/minus of using them for a week?
Any info/comments gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try a search - there has been a few threads about them. general consensus seems to be "good value"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to the Tignes UCPA and thought it was great. We went in April this year and there were around 20-25 British people there when we were. That might be slightly more than usual as Tignes was probably the best option at that time of the year, but then again it could be less as not as many people go in April. Most of the staff spoke very good English and a lot of the French/European guests also know enough to converse with you. I obviously can't comment on Flaine in this respect but I'm led to believe it's the case at most centres.

A big plus is the food. Three meals a day, practically all you can eat and it's very good quality. The tuition I got was also very good and we got on great with our instructor. We lucked out on the size of our group but I know some had up to 12 people in them which is getting on the high side. Equipment was to a pretty high standard. They also put on some entertainment every night, though you do have to put up with a lot of young excitable French teenagers!

A minus is the sleeping arrangements. The rooms in Tignes sleep four people so we were sharing with two others. Luckily we got on great with them, but if you're not so lucky it could potentially ruin your holiday. The rooms are also pretty small with just a narrow passage between the bunk beds, although we did have a decent size balcony. I think that Flaine has double rooms though, so might not be as much of an issue?

I'm booked to go back to Tignes this December so UCPA gets a thumbs up from me. Sorry I can't give you any specifics on Flaine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
UCPA is brilliant. Great food. Cheap. Generally good instruction, but obviously that depends on your instructor. Equipment is generally good. The rooms are tiny, but it's just a place to sleep.

I have only ever been as part of a group of four, although, I would have no issue with going on my own. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Have fun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did you tell them you were 50? Website says 40 is upper limit? As a 40 something myself i had disregarded them (its my daughters that usually worry about fake ID)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My daughter and BF (now husband) went to Flaine - they had a super double room with its own balcony. They were there at half term (both teachers) and said the place was crazy busy, especially as the snow was very poor so the lower levels of the Grand Massif were hopeless. they were very impressed with the UCPA set up though the coach travel with Action Outdoors was a disaster - started when one of the drivers did a runner from the Eurotunnel queue and went from bad to worse, but that was just bad luck.

My son in law had done a UCPA trip before, on his own (summer in chamonix - ice climbing etc) and though he's a rather shy guy, and speaks no French, he found the atmosphere social and friendly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
humbucker, I've been to UCPA Flaine and it's a good set-up. The rooms are quite spacious and ensuite, but don't be late or else you'll end up with the top bunk (1 bunk bed and 2 normal singles). I befriended a couple of 50+ crazy Swedish dudes who were in my group and there were about 10 others of a similar vintage, so don't worry about age. Plenty of English folks there and many Swedes who speak English fluently and friendly once you break the ice. 3 buffet meals a day plus tea/cakes at 5pm. The only downside risk would be your other 3 roommates, but that depends on how well you get along with strangers Madeye-Smiley
Hope that helps.

Oh...and welcome to snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Did you tell them you were 50? Website says 40 is upper limit? As a 40 something myself i had disregarded them (its my daughters that usually worry about fake ID)

That was my first thought. I've been there many years ago and rated it highly but thought there were age restrictions.

If you can book, the all-inclusive price is good value, and they do provide a great service, from ski hire, guiding / tuition and ents, but obviously aimed at a younger market.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi All,
Wow,Thanks for all the responses.
I called them and told them I was 50,the lady I spoke to never said it was a problem and recommended Flaine rather than their other resorts for my age-I think I am a young 50 and enjoy a beer most people say I dont look it so Im not dead yet!
I have been with Cold Fusion before on my own and they were fine but they are not cheap either so was looking at this company as an alternative.
From reading all your comments I dont think it will be much of a problem for a 6day ski hol over xmas.
Really tempted to go for it now!
Anymore posts on this are welcome.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go for it! You'll have a great time. Some of my friends have been to Flaine, they really enjoyed it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
humbucker wrote:
Hi All,

I called them and told them I was 50,the lady I spoke to never said it was a problem and recommended Flaine rather than their other resorts for my age-I think I am a young 50 and enjoy a beer most people say I dont look it so Im not dead yet!

I've been to Flaine a few times- and posted elsewhere on threads with tons of info - and think its great and fingers crossed for lots of early snow so you can cover the whole Grand Massif. Interesting that they don't worry about the age thing as published.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hope you decide to go. Book early as the french website launched last week and the popular weeks fill very quickly. If you need it, I've a discount code for Action Outdoors bookings - SP2010 - to get £10 off each member of your group.

Agree totally with comments re: Flaine - a very comfortable centre. If you are keen on twin rooms - also consider La Plagne - right in the middle of Plagne Centre. Val D'Isere is one of my favourites with rooms of 3-6 and a small number of twins available with a really good mix of brits, french and swedish groups.

Have a great time!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Scampi,will use that code and all who have posted.
Im sold-going to book this next week,never been skiing over xmas/new year so should be a little different!
Sorted a flight and transfer so its chocks away.
Isnt it great to have something to look forward to?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
humbucker, snowHead have fun.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just a quick note for those over 40 - most centres do take people up to 45 (especially if they have been on an Action outdoors holiday before). After this, it totally depends on the centre manager and how they choose to promote their centre. Tignes, for example, caters more towards the young crowd whereas Flaine is a much more relaxed centre thus the age limit is relaxed too. It is always worth asking!

If you're travelling as a group / club (10 ppl min), then the age restriction is relaxed again.

Thank you for all of the supportive comments above Very Happy
ski holidays
Action Outdoors, welcome to snowheads and thanks for the info!
latest report
Hi all,
its all booked now so just got to get on the plane and do it.
If anyone's interested?
The helpful lady at A.O just told me to type in a different(younger age)in my booking to complete it and she altered the necessary at her end.
Nothing but positive feedback from you all so should be a great trip.
Thanks to you all. Very Happy
ski holidays
HI Humbucker

Ive been twice now with Action Outdoors and loved it, once own my own and second with a group of three others. Second time was to Val disere, ski in ski out, skied down every dinner time for a fantastic buffet its the only time i have ever put weight on skiing. The majority our young french with limited english spoken, so brush up on french. But other than that its still is the best holiday I have ever had, I actually enjoyed more on my own, met really nice people, it was a proper adventure....let us know how get on , got wife kids now but still dreaming of ticket to play.
snow conditions
humbucker, Re the age limits the reasons she advised Flaine was that because it is less popular they are more flexible on age. I am 51, we went to UCPA Argentiere last winter, and this season wanted Tignes - but they wouldn't have me! We are going to Flaine on 7th January for the off-piste course. The food last season was excellent, but at Argentiere the rooms were tired and cramped - I am told Flaine is much flasher. There were a few Brits, some Irish, but most of the english speakers were Swedes who seem to go there en-masse. Our off-piste group was us three Brits, one French bloke, and the rest Swedish - so was conducted almost entirely in English. Also all the avalanche lectures, safety briefings etc were done twice, once in French, once in English.
latest report
H All,
Things have changed slightly now,I dropped it to a mate and he couldnt resist it so he has booked in as well.
Really looking forward to the trip from all the posts on here,I have been with Cod Fusion on my own which worked out well but epensive really and it was just skidding around.... what really attracts on this trip is instruction,what a way to spend xmas/new year...normally just twiddling my thumbs that week.
Once again thanks to all who have found the time to post on here any more are welcome!
Happy Days.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy