Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Physio recommendation - central London?

Poster: A snowHead
Think I need to go and get my knee prodded and my usual Physio has moved. Any recommendations, preferably in the W1 area? Not too bothered about cost since it will (hopefully) just be the odd one or two sessions from time to time.
Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, There is a very good physio set up in Threadneedle Street called Pure Sports Medicine (http://www.puresportsmed.com/ ) that I have only heard good things about.

They apparently have several clinics in and around central London.

Hope it works out!

Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerberg Sue, thanks Sue - they do look good

any other suggestions? something a bit closer to Bond St would be ideal but looks like Pure open late so not too much of an issue
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, not W1, but highly recommended, and she sees people in Clapham on Sundays (and Thursdays).
http://www.jobowyer.com/
She's treated lots of ski injuries, her own sport is fencing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pedantica, I'm definitely not going to Sarf London! Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, OK, be like that! Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, he's an osteopath rather than physio, but I really recommend Gavin at Backs & Beyond on Chetwynd Road in Tufnell Park, which obviously isn't W1 but I think is very near where you live from some of your previous posts..? I have seen lots of different physios and osteopaths over the years, and he's been by far the best.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
miranda, thanks - that is quite handy for me. in fact i know where you mean because i damage my knee further by running down that street from time to time. i will investigate
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, Martin Jeffries from suppleworx. He uses a clinic on berkeley square on tuesdays.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, not W1 but my physio practices in Farringdon and St Pauls. His clinical interests are primarily sports injuries and he works with some top sportsmen (and has been featured in a number of press articles). He's also a skier, so understands our priorities. PM me if you want his details.

There's also Camden Physio - I have no knowledge of their quality but it's in your 'hood.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
o11y wrote:
Arno, Martin Jeffries from suppleworx. He uses a clinic on berkeley square on tuesdays.

finally went with this recommendation

not strictly a physio but I am very pleased so far. he had some interesting perspectives which made a lot of sense to me
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
had some interesting perspectives which made a lot of sense to me

care to share ??
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno,I once tried to make an appointment with him years ago and he came over as being (in his mind) God's representative on earth. I was so spooked by his attitude, I didn't go ahead.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, he is quite confident in his own abilities but, IME, no worse than a lot of people doing similar.

kitenski, he is very into increasing flexibility but not into stretching in the usual sense. he sees the goal to be getting muscles release their tension as fully as possible rather than stretching them. he just uses isometric stretching (think that's the right term) which I have done before but only in conjunction with normal stretching. isometric stretching on its own seemed extremely effective to me. he also had some interesting ideas on how tense muscles put extra stress on joints

aside from that he gave my legs a pretty brutal massage which almost made me cry at the time but feels great now
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, May I ask a few questions about this treatment from a sports interest perspective?

Did he use any terms like 'stretching along your fascial lines/plain'?
How long did he hold each stretch for? 2 seconds? More or less? Varied for different muscles? What muscles did he stretch?

Did he do the fascial release/massage after the stretching or before?

Thanks
TG
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Arno,I once tried to make an appointment with him years ago and he came over as being (in his mind) God's representative on earth. I was so spooked by his attitude, I didn't go ahead.

Hi Hurtle, thanks for the mention. Sorry you got that impression and I'm actually pretty spooked that you got it* but . . . as far as I remember . . . I've never actually said that. I may well have said that I've never met/heard of/worked with anyone who actually understands how muscles work in practical terms and I'll stand by that still. A few people are spooked/put out by the fact that I'm pretty blunt, very confident about what I do and have no time for people who want pampering or the therapists who pander to them and encourage dependancy with ineffective work which - as far as I can see - saves us from each other. Each to their own and welcome to it. I'm blunt and very definite only because I'm pretty p-$$@d for people who get their time and money wasted and too often spend decades in pain when the solutions are usually very straightforward and inexcusably missed and equally p-$$@d that I get put in the same basket as the afore-and-about-to-be-mentioned by people who don't know me or my work. There are a lot of good therapists I'm sure but far far too many bad ones who deliver none of what they promise but happily regurgitate and practice what they were told or read in a book without ever bothering to ask why. Are my ideas about muscle function, human ergonomics and movement contentious? of course they are. Do they work? only for 99.46% of the 1700+ people I've worked with in the last 17-years. I don't 'big-up' my work, my clients (including Phil Smith of Snoworks) do that for me much better and my results speak for themselves. Oops, I think I just did! Blush

*As for the impression you referred to, I don't want to give anything away but, when my book's finished you might - if you read it - consider yourself something of a psychic! (but I still say I've never said it, right!)
latest report
@Martin@suppleworx, what a long time to respond, prompted by something? It is all fascinating. And welcome to SHs.
ski holidays
Thanks Pamski. yes, a very long time, apologies to all in the thread, I'd have enjoyed responding to all at the time. Not at all fascinating I'm afraid. I was trying to find an old friend through FB/twitter etc and googled him. Nothing came up so I googled myself to see how how easy it would be for him to find me and this came up on page 2 I think. Hurtle's comment really made me laugh so I registered just so I could reply and got a wee bit carried away. I know I have a few clients on SHs but I'm guessing most are incognito I don't know who they are, which means they can all call me an arrogant self-opinionated lady's front bottom without fear of being banned!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy