Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Ian Kenvyn, almost a month before you go. Impossible to say now what conditions will be like for Christmas week. Could be epic, could be dire. In the last six or seven years I've skied in Les Arcs at Christmas I think it has always opened on time (around about 10 December) and the majority of the piste domain has been open for Christmas week. There wasn't much snow at this time last year IIRC, but it looked like this on Boxing Day 2010:

Having said that, keep doing the snow dance wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Montalbert's pretty low down though, what about somewhere higher like Belle Plagne? Any stats for that?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does anyone know/can anyone remember how much East's all-you-can-eat menu costs? I remember coming over from La Plagne quite a few times during my season for a change in culinary tastes.

Doing the snow dance ritually.

Cheers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Didn't East close last season?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The snow line appears to be receeding! Anyone in touch with HIM!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
streetoflong, sorry but rob@rar, is correct. 'East' is no more. Very sad. I liked that place as well. Last year is was a Barbque place, ok, if you were hungry. Not sure if they are coming back this winter. Will let you know when I get out. Maybe Artic can tell us something.

Like roche1800, says, snowline seems to be getting even higher so it is time to start the 'snowdance'. The snow forcast for yesterday and today did not arrive and it does not look like any is coming very soon. Oh dear, oh dear. I should be skiing on the 10 Dec in Arc 2000 plus I had hoped to get on my skis somewhere else if possible before that. Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy, have the snow cannons had chance to do much yet? Hope they've not been too busy, don't want the reservoirs to run dry before mid season!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowcrazy, but it is absolutely guaranteed to be chest high powder in Montchavib for my arrival on 14th Dec, so there is hope plus I have been doing the snow dance all afternoon!! Madeye-Smiley Smile Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think we need some videos and tips on how to do the snow dance so we can all do it.... Puzzled Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup, East is out of action.

Snow cannons were turned on, on Marmottes for the first time today (24th). Cold nights, not so cold days unfortunately.

Shopkeepers resetting after the Autumn break were sitting in t-shirts outside Meli's having lunch today, and "boy, was it warm"

Local knowledge says snow coming for 5th Dec. - I think he's trying the BS meter.

More as I get it.

AR
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
its driven me to to my old mate 'Bud'.

look what i have just made:

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I notice the canons on full blast in and around 1950 and 2000. Still a tad grassy for 26th November.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, indeed

9:30 today (26th)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Roll, still no real snow! Reckon its in Scandavaia at the mo!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
we're flying out on the 4th Feb. I know we dont know the "real answer", but going off previous years, will there be snow by then???
Found this on snow-forecast.com today http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs/6day/mid
ski holidays
we're flying out on the 4th Feb. I know we dont know the "real answer", but going off previous years, will there be snow by then???
Found this on snow-forecast.com today http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs/6day/mid
latest report
Jon Ford, http://www.igluski.com/france/les-arcs-snow-history_1608

Yes.
latest report
Jon Ford, Yes. rolling eyes
latest report
awesome- just compared last season to Passo Tonale where I skiid and was happy with snow and Les Arcs had 10cm more at lowest point. Just need to see some white stuff fall now and will be happy. Spent too much on this hol and clothing not to do any skiing!
thanks again Tom Doc, and bobmcstuff, made me happier now!
snow report
If there isn't any snow in Les Arcs in February then I would imagine there will be four angry looking blokes on horses running about too.
snow report
horses! cool. let me have a go! he he. see you on the white stuff! snowHead
snow report
I am going with uni for a week from the 16th and I am getting REALLY worried about these forecasts,
Can someone who knows more than I do about Les Arcs tell me honestly what the prognosis is for that week?
Can it still recover and be really good? Or are week looking at between average and awful for snow conditions?
Snow dancing away with all my fingers crossed
snow conditions
I can tell you honestly that the weather will be what it will be, I would imagine when you wake up in the afternoon in your uni bedroom, that sometimes it's raining, sometimes it's sunny, sometimes it's snowing, can you tell me what the prognosis will be outside your window on the 16th?
ski holidays
Sorry Guys, apparently there won't be any real snow in LA this year until 20th December - when it will relentlessly dump for at least two days giving rise to at least 4 metres@1600 and bottomless at the 66. There is a previous post on this....
ski holidays
allanm, When are you arriving in Les Arcs for Christmas? Laughing
snow report
Boredsurfing ^^^ By complete coincidence of course..... Just before the first big dump......
snow conditions
Below is a copy of the post I made over on my facebook page last Friday. Although some weather forecasts are now saying there might be a little snow on the 1st Dec, I think for any real change I am keeping to what I posted.

From my Facebook page: Very Happy 'Okay, since the snow does not look like coming for a while, I had a look at various meteo charts and stuff so my crystal ball says it will start to snow on 7 December and continue for a few days, maybe until 10th Dec when the lifts will open. Now we shall just have to wait and see if I am correct.HaHa!!' Very Happy

cubbyhoo, Unless we get a big change in the weather you are likely to be doing most of your skiing that week over in the Arc 2000 bowl. But we never can be sure! Puzzled
ski holidays
cubbyhoo wrote:
I am going with uni for a week from the 16th and I am getting REALLY worried about these forecasts,
Can someone who knows more than I do about Les Arcs tell me honestly what the prognosis is for that week?
Can it still recover and be really good? Or are week looking at between average and awful for snow conditions?
Snow dancing away with all my fingers crossed

What uni's that? I nearly went on the Durham one which is to Les Arcs around that time (graduated last year and still know a few people who were interested). Pretty glad I didn't now! Val Thorens in January instead...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Leeds uni trip is going out on the 9th... Laughing
Just got a text of my mate who was gonna go on that, he's pretty pleased he didn't sign up!
ski holidays
I have been looking at the latest weather charts and i can see snow coming for next Friday into the weekend.
Also have a look at this video and see what you think.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/15923273
snow report
bobmcstuff, The Leeds Snowriders trip is the one I'm booked onto. I'm attempting to remain optimistic that the forecast is right and that the heavens are going to deposit shed loads of snow over this coming weekend and continue through next week.
ski holidays
Haha, awesome. Hope that they don't delay opening then!! They don't seem to have blown as much as 3V etc.

Yeah my mate is in Snowriders too, seems to spend a lot of time at Castleford. He was gonna go on the trip but decided that he had too much work to do and not enough money.
snow conditions
Thought I would share this post I just made on my Les Arcs Winter page with everyone as it may cheer you up snowHead

From Facebook:

Something to cheer everyone up a little, although if you are thinking of going 'off piste', please do heed the warning that is given should the snow really arrive in time! This is from an email I was sent by someone in Tignes. Although not Les Arcs, from what I understand it is similar conditions there as well. Lets all be positive now and fingers crossed for the predicted snow to arrive.

.................................................................................................................

Snow folks,

Bad snow situation in Europe right now, but that is all about to change.

This comming weekend 3rd/4th Dec sees the high over the Alps retreating and Atlantic weather from the North west is going to pound the Alps after.

So the following weekend 10th/11th could be very good.

In reply another person wrote,

When it dumps it will most likely be extremely dangerous initially as there is no base so be careful. The last snowfall is now old snow and has gone through many f/thaw cycles.

At the moment the only lifts open in Tignes are over in Val Claret with Double M being the return on artificial snow. Hard packed and icy. Softer higher up.

La Rosiere, bathing in the sunshine, has a few blobs of man made snow around the snow cannon but none of them are large enough to even think about making into a piste.

Looking up at the top lift at St Foy and the ridge over to La Foggy at the mo. and the snow is a no show. Most of the ground below around 2500m is only frozen in the shade. Just had a picnic with the kids in Tignes le Lac at 2100m in beautiful warm sunshine without coats. Temps drop when the sun goes down but it isn't particularly cold at the mo. The permanent snow line is rising back up the mtn by the day as it evaporates in the very dry air.

Cheers

(Thanks for sharing this guys)

From next weekend I hope to start making regular post direct from the mountains myself.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 28-11-11 19:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

allanm, When are you arriving in Les Arcs for Christmas?

Quote:

Boredsurfing ^^^ By complete coincidence of course..... Just before the first big dump.....

So just after lunch on Christmas day then Smile
ski holidays
Arriving in peisey Nancroix on 17 December with a mixed ability group of 26 people and staying in Chalet Chazalet (Anyone stayed there before). Assuming that the snow has arrived by then how long (in minutes) does the Peisey lift take? And then looking at the piste map can I get across from there to the Derby lift or do we need to ski to the bottom of the Grizzly or Vallandry lift and take that up. Thanks in advance for your help
snow report
spursfan, you can ski from top of Peisey lift to Derby with no problem - snow providing. Cut across to La foret and follow that is easiest way
snow report
Boris Many thanks for your quick reply
snow conditions
Sooo... Who's out for Christmas??

I'll be there (Vallandry) from 21st Dec...... for a few weeks.

spursfan, You can also ski down to the Transarc or Vagere from the Peisey lift.
ski holidays
Allanm going for the week before Xmas so 17 to 24. Flying BA to Chambery. Hopefully there is a bar that will be showing the Spurs v Chelsea game (someone mentioned the Flying Squirrel).
ski holidays
spursfan, ^^ I'm not sure the flying squirrel Will (:>) as it changed hands last year, it's a 'posh' wine bar now. Place to be for that is the Mont Blanc Pub just below the Grizzly lift.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy