Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FIS Opener in Solden - state of the glacier

Poster: A snowHead
I know it;s still more than 6 weeks off until the FIS season kicks off in Solden, but I was looking at the webcams there and the glacier looks incredbly bad - does anyone know if it normally looks as bad as this at this time of the year ?

Web cams are on the official Solden site...

http://www.skiweltcup.soelden.com/main/EN/SD/WC/Wetter/livecams/index.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ArseneWengen, my sons trainer lives there, has done all his life and he says, yep it looks bad but the snows will come. This is in his opinion a particularly bad year , they have had a few bits and bobs of snow in the last week, and as anyone who lives up there can tell you, all you need is a week of good snowfall and it will look entirely different. Are you going?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ArseneWengen, I will be there along with some other nefarious snowHeads (kooky & Co, Laughing ). All the glaciers look as bad as this unfortunately after a hot summer. As kooky says, this year has been exceptional with less precipitation during the winter and some very hot days early in the season as well as last month. There was little or no build-up over the winter and very rapid melt after Easter and last month. Remember a lot of that "black/grey" you can see on the end of the Tiefenbach, are rocks that have been worked up to the surface by the freeze-thaw cycles. Underneath it there is still ice down to the lift station and car park.

As the temperatures have already taken a tumble here and are getting progressively lower at night, I'm not worried about skiing on any of my local glaciers when they re-open this month. The rain that we are forecast will start to top things up fairly quickly. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kooky and Samerberg Sue - I wish I was going ! Unfortunately I will have to make do with watching it on Eurosport ! Thanks for the info. I hadn't looked at any webcams for a while, and whilst I expected it to be at it's worse after the end of summer I didn't expect it to look as barren as that ! Do they not try to cover parts of the glacier up - I thought that was becoming more common to try to protect the bottom parts of them from the full force of the summer sun ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ArseneWengen, They do this on Kitzsteinhorn in places, but I am not sure about the other glaciers. A couple of my racer mates in Austria were training up on Mölltal a couple of weeks ago(before that awful heatwave) and said the condis up there were superb for that time of the year. Unfortunately now it´s a bit stony, but there is still training going on up there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ArseneWengen, I can't find it on Eurosport, I've looked through the entire Sky sports menu and it doesn't seem to be on anywhere - am I missing something?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This one is never live, something to do with contractuals. They usually show it weeks later.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953, The link from an austrian paper that says solden opener is secured after recent snowfalls. Can't help why it's not on eurosport
http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/schi/schialpin/2850279/weltcup-auftakt-soelden-nach-kaelteeinbruch-gesichert.story
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sharon1953 wrote:
ArseneWengen, I can't find it on Eurosport, I've looked through the entire Sky sports menu and it doesn't seem to be on anywhere - am I missing something?
It's definitely being covered by Eurosport - I know because I bumped into one of their commentary team t'other week and they are all going out. I would wait until closer to the event for it to appear on the schedule. It'll be between the troll baiting and the monster truck derby.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sharon1953, It is listed on the Eurosport website.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, not on the british eurosport tv schedule
http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt, Ok, I'm glad I don't get British Eurosport then.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, rjs, I checked the Europsort website and as nbt, says - nothing there. I've got programs listed up to next Wednesday for UK Eurosport on the TV menu and nothing!! I can't believe they think it's more of a minority sport than fencing ??? Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B wrote:
This one is never live, something to do with contractuals. They usually show it weeks later.

I'll say it again as no-one seems to have read it wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sharon1953, The link that nbt posted shows a highlights programme on the Saturday evening then the first run live and second run recorded on Sunday.
snow report
Colin B, I will be watching it live.
snow conditions
Yes they are showing good coverage this year, they must have sorted the contract issues out. However Eurosport's scheduling is utter cr@p you're quite likely to find there's something like fencing on instead at the time.
ski holidays
rjs, I've an old analogue box somewhere too which can pick up German ES. I think it was just ES UK that had problems.
latest report
rjs, not for me it doesn;t?

Ahhh, suddenly I see - it's next weekend, 22nd and 23rd, not this weekend!
snow report
It is being shown on German TV and Eurosport Europe. You will probably have darts or snooker!

If you have a double LNB on your satellite dish, you can pick up the German TV and European Eurosport on one of the Astra satellites. I'm sure somebody knows which one. I used to have one trained on the Hotbird satellite and picked up German and French TV when I lived in the UK - which meant I had European coverage of the ski racing. I'm not sure if it is still the same today but we use an Astra satellite for our signal here, so I don't expect it to be too difficult to find out and tune in accordingly.

rjs, Me too - at least on the Saturday. Sunday I will be glued to either my TV or my computer (depending on the weather) watching the Rugby World Cup Final in New Zealand. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, You could do that with analogue I'm not sure it's so easy with digital.
ski holidays
nbt, me too, I can see it now...Sat and Sunday...phew!! We are skiing there next year for the first time so will be so nice to see it on TV Smile
snow report
Samerberg Sue, Bode asked LB if he may share his training lane today in Sölden...y´see...the guy HAS manners Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley LB said he did 3 runs, was totally friendly, and funny and then boogered off. LB said he looked" TOP"...my money is on Bode then, and today is his birthday too Laughing
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
Samerberg Sue, You could do that with analogue I'm not sure it's so easy with digital.

It's just as easy - German Eurosport is broadcast digital free to air from the Astra 1 satellite position (19 deg East), along with many other free to air channels. NB UK Eurosport and UK TV channels are broadcast from the Asta 2 satellite position (28 deg East).
ski holidays
kooky, that's just cos he recognised LB's class and was scared he would show him up! wink Laughing
It's quite a ways back now since my encounters with him, so maybe he has finally grownup and has mellowed with age and parenthood!

Alastair Pink, agree with that - dead easy because it is free to view! You get the best coverage from the Austrian TV but we need a card to plug into that sadly. A falling out between neighbours put paid to our choice of watching Austrian or German versions.
snow report
Isharon1953, can't find it on sat morn on my sky planner.... I've got motogp on Eurosport1 or test cricket on 2!!???
latest report
cresswell80, 17:45 on Eurosport1.
snow report
Its live on Sunday morning and repeated in the PM too on Eurosport and I cant wait!!!

http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cresswell80, 1st run is live on Saturday on Eurosport HD.
ski holidays
cresswell80, It's on Eurosport UK Saturday 5.45 pm and Sunday 8.30 am and again at 1.45 pm. I was looking too early when I couldn't find it, forgot Sky only shows schedule up to 7 days in advance to the minute! Amazing watching the Solden webcams as they prepare everything.
snow conditions
For those who haven't got Eurosport on their TV's just google Eurosport online stream. Plenty of sites showing it. I'll be sat in bed with laptop and coffee on Sunday morning doing just that. Or get a lead from your pc to your TV and you can watch it on your big screen. Simples... wink

Really looking forward to seeing some Race action. Cool
ski holidays
spud, who´s your dosh on? Have heard the Norwegians are blistering up in training. I am going withBode for the win, Benni podium, be great to see him back after last years injury.
ski holidays
Svindal, Ligety, Janka...in that order. wink Razz

Hope Benni does well though, great to see him back. Really looking forward to it.

How about the Women? My money is on Maze...
latest report
spud, Yup Maze looks good, but I am going for Rebensburg, she stormed it last year, possibly Görgl if she can hold up 2 runs. The start list isn´t up yet on FIS so I will have another punt later Smile still a bit undecided on the ladies.
snow conditions
For those watching on Eurosport, be aware that their listings are known to bare no resemblance to what they actually show. It tends to be the repeats more than the live stuff, but I've lost count of the amount of times that I've recorded something that I was expecting to be skiing, and it's turned out to be something bizarre like Monster Truck Racing, or the Latvian Squirrel Dancing championship.

For what it's worth my money is on Ligety, but I'm hoping Svindal comes good.
latest report
Well they were actually advertising the Slalom event on Eurosport today, and at what times it was going to be shown. So hopefully all will be well.

It will be interesting to see what the Competitors heads will be like after the FIS meeting today...

Bode's comments...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/21102011/58/miller-hits-new-rules.html
ski holidays
ArseneWengen wrote:
or the Latvian Squirrel Dancing championship.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't give them ideas!?
snow conditions
robboj - to be honest, if they held the Squirrel Dancing championships up on a glacier somewhere and had Chemmy Alcott commentating on it then there's a fair chance I might watch it.
snow report
kooky wrote:
spud, who´s your dosh on? Have heard the Norwegians are blistering up in training. I am going withBode for the win, Benni podium, be great to see him back after last years injury.

Bode is 30/1 this weekend so might be well worth a tenner!

Im going to go for Ted Ligerty this weekend to podium, Svindal and Janka too.

As for the lovely ladies, Tina Maze, Vonn and Viky Rebensburg to podium.
ski holidays
I'm going for Riesch Maze, Rebensberg. Maybe one of the Austrian girls, but some how I'm not optimistic.

I'm there live tomorrow so it will be fun to see how things pan out!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy